Musicmatch on evolution of music stores and iTunes relative ...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 14, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors member

Gotta love the spin

Wow. So because people have registered to use their software, but not their music service, that gives them a bigger install base than iTunes Music Store.

So how many "millions of users" actually use the MusicMatch music store? How many of the "45 million" have bought a song from MusicMatch? The number can't be better than the iTunes store, or else they would have said that.

And where does that number come from? Are those unique users, are they including OEM where the software is installed on an outgoing computer? Do they actually have a database of 45 million users with emails, or just 45 million downloads, which could be the folks who had to reformat their machine and reinstall software.

I give them credit: they made a product that was, at one time, good enough for Apple to use with the iPod on Windows, and from what I've seen, it's a nice little interface. But this strikes me as being 90% "marketing-speak" which has no valid relation to reality.

Which, so far, is 35% MP3 players = iPod, 60-70% of all online music sales = iTunes Music Store. Until *those* numbers start to change, I think MusicMatch, and the other competitors, had better work harder.

3. macrumors 65816

1macker1

WOW 45 million users, that's kinda hard to beat.

4. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Well I'm a registered user, but I never use the piece of crap... It's terrible. The interface design engineer must of pulled a fast one on them... He's at home going oh shiat, right now...

5. macrumors 65816

1macker1

But out of 45 million users registered, the number of actual users must be pretty high. (just guessing)