Muslim chemist refuses to issue morning after pill!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AndyR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thing is if they fire him. They will get done for discrimination. Just shows how sh*te this country is getting. Im out first chance i get. We are being invaded and suppressed and people dont even know it.

BTW that is not a racist remark aimed at muslims. It is aimed at all the immigrants, nicking our jobs, buying up all the houses and moaning when they have to change their way of life because they now live in England. Pure *****!

/End Rant

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There was a similar case in the US a couple years ago. A Roman Catholic pharmacist in Wisconsin refused to dispense birth control pills, and further refused to pass the prescription along to a different pharmacy that was willing to fill it.

4. mpw Guest

A week ago a muslim Met. Police officer refused to do his duty because he didn't want to protect the Isreali embassy. From the news report no action was taken against him he just got moved to other duties.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My previous GPs surgery was a very Christian-centric one, and a couple of Doctors there wouldn't prescribe the morning after pill either due to their religious beliefs – you would be passed onto one of their colleagues if you needed one.

I'm not aware of their policy on life saving injections, however.

6. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

And the Brittish Empire that was so nice to their colonies, now they do all this! :eek:

The stupid thing about the original story is that he seemed allowed to do what he did. Go get another job!

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That was not how he put it.
    As for the chemist, as long as he referred the family to another source, that's OK too. This isn't a case of denying life-saving injections.
    We can't carry on denying people the right to act according to conscience while at the same time decrying those who follow orders regardless.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I couldn't agree more :(

The stance the chemist is taking makes as much sense as a vegetarian getting a job in a butchers and refusing to sell any meat.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nice use of irony, I hope.

He is allowed to do it. Has it caused any problems? Ever?

10. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

What if that other person also was a fundamental muslim, who sent her to a deeply religous catholic and so on... Would she get her day after pills in time?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Who knows? Is such a question really relevant? It happens very rarely, and is being used, predictably enough.

12. mpw Guest

I heard the report as a 15sec. soundbite on the radio so didn't hear anything from those involved directly. What was his version?

OK people should be allowed to act according to their conscience and not follow orders regardless, but in this case I think he's wrong to refuse treatment.

The guy's a pharmacist and if he's not prepared to offer the level of service expected of him he shouldn't, chose that profession or be licensed as such.

I wonder what other drugs and services he can't bring himself to offer, and does he advertise himself as offering only koran approved services?

13. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Maybe it's highly unlikely and irrelevant.
    But I don't think ANY religion should interfer with your working duties! Especially not when you are making it more inconvenient for the customer, who in this case has to meet yet anoter person!
    I think he should find a more suitable job.

14. inlimbo macrumors 6502

ha ha. Next thing you know you will have anti-vivisectionists running slaughter houses.

15. Queso macrumors G4

He was worried that due to all the increased television coverage showing the outside of the Embassy he would be recognised then both he and his Lebanese wife would be targetted by militants.

That's globalisation for you. There are many Brits leaving to live and work in Oz, Canada and the EU and doing exactly the same there. For example, Spaniards can no longer afford to live anywhere near the Mediterranean coast thanks to German and British immigrants buying up all the land. Alicante and the Costa Del Sol are becoming British colonies in all but name.

16. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Come on stuartluff, this remark is pure xenophobic daily mail fed nonsense. Most working immigrants are doing jobs that no-one here wants to do, such as cleaning, etc... They work their asses off doing jobs that are essential that nobody else wants.

Have you had your job stolen by an immigrant?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It only takes a thread like this to bring all those prejudices up to the surface. Our racial tolerance in this country is only skin-deep, I'm afraid.

18. Queso macrumors G4

True of most countries, if not all.

19. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

It is a shame.

I guess living in London and being from immigrant stock myself (French and Italian) parents has afforded me a more open mind on these matters.

20. mpw Guest

OK that wasn't reported in the version I heard but makes little difference to my view that a Police officer can't opt out of duties that he doesn't want to do based on religion, or as in this case, fear of being unpopular. Unless they opt out of the force of course.

21. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

That wasn't how it was reported here either. I heard a) that the police removed him from his duties outside the Israeli Embassay because he was a muslim and b)he was removed due to a request from the emassay itself.

:eek:

22. mpw Guest

I always surprised how intolerant some people in the UK are. I guess being from Jersey you start to feel your views are very similar to the mainland but then realise that we're actually very easy going and tolerant* over here on some things, swings and roundabouts I guess.

*Except of the French of course, they can all just **** off.

23. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Of course it was irony, just to straighten that out.
    Do we know for sure that it hasn't? I agree with the mother

24. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Thanks mpw! :eek:

(see a few posts above where I mention I have a French parent):p

25. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Is it maybe also just because you have so many immigrants. Its seems crazy to me (someone in Australia) that such a tiny little country has such huge immigration. Unfortuntely I think mass immigration creates problems. Don't misread me. I am NOT saying that immigrants create the problem. It takes two to tango as they say. But it does seem to breed contempt.