Muslim Cleric offers reward for Cartoonists' Death

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XNine, Feb 17, 2006.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yup, you heard me. These radical religious freaks are still going on about a cartoon. But now a Cleric is offering a $1 MILLION reward for the assassination of the cartoonists.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11383819/

Yeah, accept your "prophet" is make believe and Osama is an ungrateful, backstabbing bastard who plans the destruction of America and other countries. It's not like he's drawing George Bush with a swastika on his forehead.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Wow. Those freaks need a hearty dose of thorazine.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Tactical nuke.

And I'm not kidding, either.

OK, I am.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

Call me compassionate, but perhaps you're right.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Was the $25 million for Osama for him dead or alive? Or just alive? Or was it just information on his whereabouts?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In Pakistan, no less -- our allies in the war on terror.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who cares as long as he's wiped out?

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

is the bounty for Bin Laden for dead or alive?(i know its a different case for Osama but i real hope the USA would not but a death bounty on anyone)

They need to get over it! sorry but its the truth!

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's in Pakistan. Please send the check to...

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i think 80% of this world should be on lithium.

100% in power should be on it

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Beyond the virulent attacks on the straw man, I really have to wonder about some of these comments. They seem portray why there is so much anger being expressed toward the west.

Calling someone a radical religious freak and the founder of their religion "make believe" is rather disturbing. Generally advocating for their death and/or calling them insane is not helpful.

I think there needs to be greater understanding from both sides of this mess. Instead we have the same thing that we have had in every war in history - two sides who believe in the absolute rightousness of their cause.

Yes there needs to be a freedom for the press to print and for people to speak. However, that freedom has always been tempered in sight of the greater good. I cannot yell fire in a theater, I am not protected if I speak words that would cause a reasonable person to attack me.

Yes you should maintain that which you respect as sacred as sacred, but those whom you do not control should be left to the judgment of God. There is justification for protests and boycotts, but you should be careful in what you choose to attack.

Honestly, I don't understand how there is a freedom in much of Europe to mock the sacred beliefs of another but not to deny the Holocaust. I don't believe that Tehran denies the Holocuast out of belief, but rather out of a desire to prick the sensitivities of the West.

If Jesus or Moses were to be drawn with a swastika, the West would be outraged. After all, Christians as well as Moses killed or allowed the deaths of Jews. The portrayal of Japanese as brutal destroyers of the Chinese annoys the rest of the world. Here, not only is a simple requirement of Islam (how strictly it is being interpreted not withstanding) being violated, it is being violated to mock.

It is one thing to mock your own. It is another to mock your neighbor. The freedom of speech never justifies fighting words

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

No shortage of uncontrollable psychos ... very comforting to know that fundamentalist religious fanatics sure like to rampage and kill.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh OK- so what about Muslims in America? Should we be careful never to "offend" them as well? This is the US, I'm offended every time I walk out the door. Does that mean I should issue death threats to everyone who offends me? No. And if I did- I would fully hope that someone would blow me away quickly before I did any more harm.

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Why assasinate someone when you can just eviserate them in crayon?

The pen (or crayon) is mightier than the sword...

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

This doesn't even begin to explain the anger against the West.

It's a cartoon, get over it. And I think labeling them as insane is perfectly appropriate.

How idealistic you are. That'll never happen.

Are you suggesting that those who call for the death of a cartoonist are reasonable?

I'm certain you're right. But do you think Western culture would demand death as punishment?

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I dont' think you have a duty to not offend them, but I do believe that it isn't right to openly mock them. At no point did I say that it is wrong to offend another. What I was trying to say is that if you attack that which a person holds most dear, they have every right to be upset. If you were to use fighting words and you were attacked, even the liberal CA justice system would not be able to recompense you.

I have already stated that I believe that calling for death to the cartoonists is a difficult pill to swallow. However, I see nothing wrong with the protests. Indeed, I prefer the expulsion/withdrawal of diplomats. I have no issue with the attacks on the empty embassy buildings. All that remains is a symbol - and I would rather the symbol be attacked than direct attacks made on the nation itself.

Quickly addressing the issue of "the terrorists win b/c the comics aren't being published." (not part of the thread, but I believe relevant to the story) The call for death to the cartoonists and much of the greater anger was spawned after the decision not to publish - that decision was made early. Respect for another and their beliefs is not censorship. Respect for that which another holds sacred does not hurt the freedom of the press.

aquajet - I don't think they begin to explain the anger. I should have said that the West dismissing their beliefs as irrelevant is central to may of the complaints that Mulsims have towards the West. I know that my thought was idealistic - I don't expect it to ever happen - it's just where people need to move. I don't think that calling for the death of the cartoonist is reasonable. However, among our foreign policy decisions (many have been decried in these forums) the cartoon is just another attack. "Muslims are terrorists and nothing more than that. Their prophet was a terrorist..." If I was Muslim and someone came up to me and said that, I would be hard-pressed not to deck him right there and then. I believe that many of the Muslims in the West are some of the most tolerant among us. They endure quite a bit.

A cartoon is not just a cartoon. Remember, a picture can say 1000 words. That's what Gary is so eloquent. A caricature of a Jew, black, Asian, etc. is horrific (regardless of the humor content). After all, I don't think plastering pictures of Amos and Andy all over SE DC or South Central LA and then saying that the blacks should "get over it" will get you too far. I don't believe that taking offense is insane at all. While irrelevant, I more than enjoy pokes at my religion - but I would be furious if something I hold sacred was so brutally mocked.

As for what Western culture would do? I think some would riot and take it out on those who were similar to the offender, causing death among other injuries. I think some would call for apologies and other acts of contrition. I think that some would endure it in silence, passing their seething hate on to their children.

18. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, I'm sorry, but this article points out the ladder part of the Muslim community. The extremist psychos who actually give weight to these cartoons. Mohammed with a bomb in his turbin? It's funny, because it's true.

I don't think it's trying to offend all muslims, but rather to show them that some of their people call themselves Muslims while going against the wishes of the rest of the community.

I fully understand that Muslims are being attacked left and right these days. It's not right. But guess what? IT'S A ****ING CARTOON! These people obviously have no sense (and cannot conceive the truth behind such) of humor if they're burning buildings, rioting, killing people and offering rewards for the death of someone who drew a funny.

As Lee said, he's offended just walking out of his place every day. Probably by a bunch of losers who have nothing better to do than yell "******" or "fairy" at him while he's minding his own business. Yet Lee, as he pointed out, isn't offering a reward for the writers of Will & Grace or godhatesfags.com.

Tolerance comes from both ways. Freedom of expression should be a universal concept.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. And I'm sorry but anybody who calls for another's death over a damn cartoon is INSANE and needs to be either detained or destroyed. They certainly do not deserve my respect.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

examples of many US citizens not being able to "get over it":

- andres serrano's Piss Christ
    - burning of american flag
    - chris ofili's Black Madonna
    - removal of Ten Commandments monument from Alabama judicial building

21. aquajet macrumors 68020

Islamic fundamentalists want to kill a cartoonist because he poked fun at their God. Islamic fundamentalists want to kill anybody who is an infidel. Islamic fundamentalists want to kill me because I'm a homo. Islamic fundamentalists hijacked airplanes and killed thousands of innocent people. Islamic fundamentalists make a mockery of humanity. The least they deserve is a bit of mockery themselves.

That's right. I find Islamic fundamentalists' belief that gay people should be executed utterly repulsive. But I'm not calling for their deaths.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm- did an American religious organization call for the deaths of these perpetrators?

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

It is not so much the "religious" part of the equation as the "fanatic" part of the equation that bears notice here.

I do remember certain individuals in the US advocating the killing of Abortion doctors.

Then there is always Pat Robertson...

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So- what's your point? They're all wacked.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, Christ, not another fatwa. Didn't we already go through this crap with Salman Rushdie?

Okay, so this so-called cleric, Mohammed Yousaf Qureshi, declares a million dollar bounty on the cartoonists? Fine. I think the Danish government ought to declare a million dollar bounty on Mohammed Yousaf Qureshi. Tit for tat.

After all, the extremists are pissed off at the Danes already. What've they got to lose?