Must 'Code Signing Identity' be same in update?

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by Danneman101, Jul 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Does the "Code Signing Identity" (distribution) have to be the exact same one for an update of an app?

Im updating an app that had a specific code signing identity for previous versions that are uploaded to the store. Now Im using another code signing identity (albeit it is the same developer-account, just using a different provisioning profile thats all). Will there be any problems when I upload the update to apple for approval?

2. macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I don't think that's a problem. If it is a problem iTunes will tell you when you upload the app. The profiles expire anyway. I think they only have a one year lifespan. So everyone has to get new profiles eventually.

3. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, it will be. As stated in the iPhone Provisioning Portal:
    Also, be sure to increment your bundle version.

I have used the same distribution profile since my app was released in Sep 2008. There are concerns with certificates expiring but that does not mean you can use a new profile to update an app.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

What if I use the same Distribution Provisioning Profile, but edit it to have another App ID? Will that work?

5. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think different App ID == different app on the app store (specifically with regards to existing customers getting upgrades: different app ID == pay again).

6. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Unless the AppID for that profile is a wildcard, it will be considered a different profile.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Both my old and my new AppID are wildcards (A1BCD234E5.*), will it work then?

8. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It should. And if they're the same, there's not really an old and a new, is there? ;)

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

No, different prefixes :D

Well, alea jacta est - its submitted now and Ill let you know if it worked or not :)