Must Download PACE Drivers (Anti-Piracy) to Support 3rd Party App?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frank (Atlanta), Aug 1, 2005.

1. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    I'm using Nikon Capture v4.3 - it's a photo editing pack.

Haven't had problems, except that certain Help documents appear to have become deleted (i.e.: the Help Index works and I can see all the Help topics - simply some of the actual Help documents are missing (and others aren't)).

Nikon support suggested trashing the Nikon references in my Preferences folder, trashing the app itself and re-installing. OK, I'm willing to give that a shot; however, they also suggested downloading 3rd party drivers.

Question: Nikon support suggested I "download PACE drivers for my system - install and restart". They instructed me to go to: PACE seems to write code to address anti-piracy. While I have no issue with copyright protection, I simply want to know - are these downloads necessary or has anybody else had to use them? I simply don't know who/what PACE is and want to minimize the installation of 3rd party drivers.

Apologies if this question is really basic, but simply wanted to see if others have had to use PACE and if it's ok/really necessary.

2. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2004
    Seems like it wasn't necessary for me to update drivers. Nikon uses Pace as part of its anti-piracy/trial approach.

Since I wasn't having problems w/having to re-enter my key code, I opted to not update drivers and, after re-installing, Nikon Capture seems to be working again.

3. allanjder macrumors newbie

Aug 31, 2005
    Southern California
    Nikon Capture 4.3.1

I am was using Mac OS 10.3x on a G4 upgrade and updated my Capture software to 4.3.1 and my computer stated to run soooooo slooooow after I rebooted. So slow I gave up on it and setup a new disk with Mac OS 10.4, CS2 and Capture.

But, because of the licensing change in Capture 4.3.1, my old number would not work with the new version and had uninstall it and install Capture 4.0 and then upgrade via several steps to the current version. It asked for the PACE download along the way. I had not finished the upgrade process last night when I again started to have slowness/odd behavior again.

Also in un-installing the 4.3.1 Capture version, it failed and I had to manually un-install it. So I did very much love Capture and often printed straight from Capture. With what I see in CS2, I may just forget about it and just use the RAW plug-in in Photoshop CS2. I will update if I can get Capture 4.3.1 to work.