Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cashel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
I'm looking for some cool/must have items for my C2D MBP, anything from security to protection of the laptop itself, to gadgets, whatever. What do you guys recommend to get the most out of the laptop?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Software.
Final Cut Express HD
Adobe lightroom Beta
Azureus
Gimp (image editing (requires X11))
senuti (Lets you pull songs from your ipod)
iSquint (compresses videos for your 5th generation iPod (if you have one)
OnyX (lets me access, and do deep system modifications)
smcFanControl (lets me change the default speed for the macbook cooling fan)
iRed Lite (lets me use my apple remote for more than just iTunes, and Front Row)

hardware
iPod
Good laptop backpack or bag
2nd power brick

cashel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
awesome :cool:. I already have a list of things I'll be picking up for myself later this month. A few questions though, is the airport express worth getting? Also, is there a cheap (i.e. less than 20 bucks) method to connecting my 5.1 surround to my MBP? I have the older Klipsch Promedia set that doesn't have a digital out. I've seen some converters from Creative and such, but they're like 100+ bucks, and for that much, I'd rather just buy a newer set of Klipschs.

Kendall015

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
awesome :cool:. I already have a list of things I'll be picking up for myself later this month. A few questions though, is the airport express worth getting? Also, is there a cheap (i.e. less than 20 bucks) method to connecting my 5.1 surround to my MBP? I have the older Klipsch Promedia set that doesn't have a digital out. I've seen some converters from Creative and such, but they're like 100+ bucks, and for that much, I'd rather just buy a newer set of Klipschs.

The airport express is definitely cool, but I don't know if it is really worth the steep price. It is really cool to be able to print wirelessly, and it is also cool to control my speakers when I am lying in bed, but it does cost a lot of money. Maybe try to find it refurbished or on eBay?

cashel

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
The airport express is definitely cool, but I don't know if it is really worth the steep price. It is really cool to be able to print wirelessly, and it is also cool to control my speakers when I am lying in bed, but it does cost a lot of money. Maybe try to find it refurbished or on eBay?

I guess I'll search around on ebay then. What about the 5.1 analog converter I asked about?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I would recommend (protection):
1) iSkin keyboard protector
2) BestSkinsEver full body skin (cheaper than ShieldZone, same product)

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
iCurve. Great for when you work at home. i am looking for a good ExpressCard for my MBP that acts as a card reader, any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.