"must-have" FPS games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by shecky, Nov 14, 2006.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i have not gamed in a couple of years (not since Half-Life 2 was released) so i am wildly uninformed as to what the really great games are these days. what do i need to get? i only play FPS games so anything else does not really interest me. Half-Life 2 is the 'perfect' game to me just so you know where my tastes lie.

i am running win xp home under bootcamp on my MBP (tho OSX native games fine also)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

These 2 are all you need, maybe Unreal Tournament 2004 for the occasional Onslaught match

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I haven't played an FPS that tops Half-Life 2 on PC, no, not even FEAR or Doom3...

That said, I did really enjoy Far Cry (if your system can play it). And the new Quake Wars might be something to look into for multiplayer, not sure if it has a single player mode.

Oh, and HL2: Episode 1 is out, that seems like a must for HL2 fans.

Whatever happened to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

5. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Ehh, I haven't played any games that are like HL2 since HL2 came out. I'm told GRAW is really good...just started playing it but not thrilled yet. The COD series are supposed to be decent too. I'm not a big fan of the UT/Doom/Quake types of games, though. I'm really just playing Madden until Halo 3 comes out.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I wouldn't class them on the level of HL2, but I do think CoD is the finest WWII game I've ever played, it was a blast! Never played CoD 2 or 3 except on 360 demo units at EBGames... so I can't say much for them.

7. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

CoD2 is really a blast to play. I especially like the way it handles health (automatic regeneration, but with very little reserve in higher difficulties, so very fun yet still difficult to play, withouth having to look for health packs, and withouth worrying about lost health in earlier stages)

8. slientkiller macrumors newbie

slientkiller

to be very honest, Doom I (i mean I) is the game you shall play that you must play, which is super amazing. But itz graphics is pretty bad.
    I have a doom I for mac os X version. and it works really well with sounds, mouse and free aim support.

9. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Quake3 multiplayer is unbeatable.
    The learning curve from noob upwards is perfect imo. Lost many years to the CTF4 space map. AAAhhhh rocketjumps and mid-air rails....the memories.

Current favourite is Call of Duty but haven't got the horsepower in this old G4 to get a high framerate. Ah well.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The original Halo is available for Windows; get that also.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll agree that Half-Life 2 is a work of art for the single player. The multiplayer and CounterStrike: Source never peaked my interest much.

Now Counterstrike back in the Beta 5/6 days. :D

12. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Half-life 2. End of discussion. Even at nearly 3 years old, there is still no comparison.

13. dwishbone macrumors regular

its not really first person...but it has the same feel...is Gears of War for the 360.
    i have to say its the best shooter i've ever played.
    and coming from Epic...i'd expect nothing less.

edit: sorry...missed that part about running windows. go buy a 360 :) its that good

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I have a feeling I'm the only person here who was totally underwhelmed by HL2.

15. WillMak macrumors 6502a

All THE HALFLIFE GAMES. Halflife 2 is awesome but don't forget Halflife 1 and Opposing Force. They may have old school graphics, but they are still a balst to play.

16. macintouch macrumors regular

quoted for truth.

I personally don't find the graphics that bad considering what time they came from. I still play HL, OpFor, and CS and thoroughly enjoy them as if they had just come out.

Definitely some super classic games that will never lose their touch.

17. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

UT2k4
    CoD2
    Halo
    and Portal (when it comes out)

for now i'm just playing UT2k4 with the portal weapon (mod) and maps

18. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

No you're not the only one

19. aholden12592 macrumors regular