Must Have Games.......

Discussion in 'Games' started by dave1234, Feb 8, 2003.

1. dave1234 macrumors regular

I was wondering about the purchase worthy games out there, if anyone has any input, like what games to get, what games not to get that would be really helpful. And does anyone know were I can buy those cheapo Gravis Gamepads?( i want to use them for Emulators)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Re: Must Have Games.......

You should state your system before asking for games because if you are running a imac classic then i sure am not going to tell you to buy any of those i play !

3. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well like me you are on the edge of whats coming.but right now Return to Castle Wolfenstein,Medal of Honor,Giants,Nascar is great but you have to turn down things.F1 Those are all very solid in my opionion.Unreal tournament is a must but with UT 2003 coming out in the next month or so I dont think its going to run very well on our machines. Check out Inside mac gaming for more info and reviews etc. I am not into rpg's but there are many that are also solid if you are into that. also arcade galore but i wont go into that.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Totally agree with Don't Hurt Me.
    Top notch Mac games:
    Medal of Honor, RTCW, NASCAR 2002, F1 CS 2000, Soldier of Fortune 2.
    Got enough RAM? Then the games mentioned above will give you hours and hours of fun!

6. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Re: Must Have Games.......

You might want to try http://emulation.net I believe they have a link to a gravis site

7. cubist macrumors 68020

FPS (first-person shooter) games seem to be very popular these days, but I don't care for them. I like Civilization III (but you need days to play), Warcraft III, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Age of Empires II. The latter 3 are what we call RTS (real-time strategy) games; CivIII is turn-based.

Racing games and flight simulators are not very good on the Mac (yet). Nascar is just simple-oval racing; GT-type racing is much more fun. I have 2097; it's OK.

I have one of those Gravis gamepads but don't use it; it requires ADB, which would require an ADB-to-USB interface. Plus, I doubt the extension would work on Mac OS X. Plus, even in Mac OS 9, what the thing does is send keystrokes, and it has a very complex program which is supposed to automatically change the keystroke mapping when you change programs. To make a long story short, it didn't work very well for me.

I don't know which emulators you're referring to. MacMAME is supposed to be good, but I don't know where you get the images for it. Frodo is a very good Commodore 64 emulator, which is useful for playing the one excellent game never elsewhere duplicated, M.U.L.E. On the PC I have a couple of emulators such as Atari 2600 which should also be available for the Mac. But I'm afraid you'll find that all those games of yore are incredibly primitive compared with the beautiful graphics of Age of Empires II or Warcraft III.

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

http://emulation.net is a site dedicated to mac emulators its got links to all kinds of emulators available for the mac and can point you to finding roms

9. dave1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so here are the games I plan to invest in..........
    1-Soldier of Fortune II (the first one is cool)
    2-Warcraft III (WII was cool)
    3-Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast (I dont know anyone who dislikes it)
    4-Star Wars Galactic Battle Grounds (I enjoy playing this)

Another question.....
    What about these games......
    Freedom Force(I enjoy superheroes)
    Giants(What is the deal with this game?)
    Black and White(What is the deal with this game?)

10. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Some would like to call it nostalgic or trying to get back to a simpler time. For us in our thirties and older we're bringing back memories of childhood :D

11. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Hey, nice choices but i must be the only who doesnt like JK2 and warcraft III is a mile better than SOFII. Star wars galactic battlegrounds is pretty good, but its basically just a skinned AOEII and Black and White kicks ass, very slow to play but is an exellent game.

12. DisgruntledArch macrumors newbie

my 2 cents

Don't forget Ghost Recon, if you'd like something that's not a pure FPS. It's a nice piece of work, and the gameplay is significantly different (and by "different", I mean more different than switching to 3rd person and using a lightsaber or being able to take someone's leg off).

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

... and Max Payne...

Just started playing it, and it's gr8!
    Much better than SOF 2.

14. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

you missed the best

you need to get som UT on that thing, Unreal Tournament is the best FPS for the mac, period. You need to get that and then go online and DL StrikeForce, then you will be ready for some gamin on the mac. If you like strategy games then go for the lists above, but in the end nothing can beat the pace of UT, just way too much fun, and you cant go wrong i am sure you can get it for like $20 max.

15. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

BTW

Black and White is cool, but it can get a little old. I liked it for a while, but its very involved. Worth checking out, but not worth what most stores are still asking for it. BW2 is in developement for winblows, and there is going to be a port over to the mac, i think that will be worth checking out, they seem to have adressed the major problems, so thats something to look forward to. O yea, dont forget to keep an eye out for UT2003 progress, that should be comin out in a few months at the most.

16. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My favorites

Although I don't have a fast system, I have played my games on my brother in laws maxed out 1 GHz TiBook...

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (My favorite out of all of my games. The Normandy beach landing is AMAZING!!)

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Return To Castle Wolfenstein

Ghost Recon: Desert Siege

All of these games show excellent performance on the 1 GHz TiBook. I'm waiting for the new 15.4" AlBook to come out and I'll finally upgrade from my 400 MHz G3 Pismo.

17. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I can recommend Escape Velocity, EV Override, or the newest EV Nova. The EV series are some of the greatest games I've ever played and I even own a pc. I've spend hours and hours exploring the universe, completing quests/missions for the different alien species upgrading my spaceship/ buying better ships, sometime even beeing a pirate. It's a very open, deep and fun game. HIGHLY recommended. I've only played EV and EV Override. Override was the best and the biggest of the two. I have read Nova is even better.

And guess what the EV games are only available for mac. It's shareware and available for download at www.ambrosiasw.com

Imo the EV games are better and more addicting games than Warcraft 3.
    Does anyone else like these games??

Below is a screenshot from EV Nova:

Attached Files:

18. Hakon macrumors newbie

agree

i agree with you ev nova is better then the sims!;)

19. Das macrumors regular

Out of your FPS picks I have to say this of the following:

Soldier of Fortune II - the solo game bites and will mug your system hard. The multiplayer game is where it's at and isn't that taxing, but that single player game, dang.

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast - Single player rocked, but multiplayer games tended to grow tired fast (especially cheap force pushes off of narrow pathways.)

As a general list here are my pics:

If you want value for your buck, get Quake 3. It has countless mods and will run fast on high.

For single and multiplayer modes, MOH should do it.

For multiplayer modes, SOF2 is dang fun.

For just single player modes, No One Lives Forever runs circles around most games. Or try Undying and MOH.

20. dreamlance macrumors regular

My picks: WC3, SoF2, UT, MOH, SWJK2JO

Hopefully Starcraft Ghost will soon be added on that list.

21. Skurn macrumors newbie

If you have not seen it yet; EV is beeing ported to windows as we speak. Its like..................... a bummer:(
    Anyways, many of these games are really great. Even though the mac community doesn't get as many games as the pc's, we sure get the quality ones;)

22. Perci Mac macrumors member

Must haves: Jedi Knight 2, Warcraft 3

Good: Medal of Honor Allied Assault.

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

EV Nova is a great one. I have it on my G3 266 powerbook. I think the registration fee was $30. Well worth it.

I still play the Alien Crossfire expansion for Alpha Centuri. Another great game that has playability that sets it apart from the Civilization line.

Not really into FPS's. I get motion sick

24. Hakon macrumors newbie

did you realy pay it????

25. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Halo will be even sooner (i hope) .... with internet multiplayer drooooooll