Must have SNES games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Now here's a different one! I'm coming into possession of a Super Nintendo. So try not to mention these games unless you feel you have to, it's basically my dream collection come true-

-Mario All stars
    -Mario World
    -Mario Kart
    -Yoshis Island
    -Super Bomberman 1, 2 and 3 (I hear 3 is rare)
    -Street Fighter 2 Turbo

I'm planning on also acquiring Zelda- Link to the Past, Metroid... and it ends there. so what should I look out for? After PAL games only so no silly business :p

edit: I'd love Donkey Kong too. Is that any good? also if anyone is selling any UK SNES stuff then PM me or whatever.

2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Buy a Jap Super Famicom and mod it to play US Super Nintendo games.

Full screen 60Htz and english text.

Best combination.

Then, buy Actraiser, connect to amp and crank the volume and enjoy some of the best music ever created for a video game.

3. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I really liked MegaMan X, though I have never played any other MegaMans until now when I just bought MegaMan: PoweredUp for the PSP, so I don't know how X compares with others. Either way, it's a lot of fun.

And of course there are all the classic RPGs: FF2, FF3, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Lufia I and II, Breath of Fire I and II, Super Mario Brothers RPG

4. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Whats the big deal about Yoshi? The way the baby cries when it gets knocked off is soooo annoying, it makes me wanna throw my controller at a wall. In fact it puts me off ever having kids. If it didnt have that stupid baby then Id play it more... the fact Im stuck on some stupid killer plant boss doesnt help.

5. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I liked Donkey Kong Country, specially with the Donkey/Diddy tagteam and the ability to change into a rhino and marlin.

6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I really like the Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars. Any idea why everyone charges so much for it?

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

God, where to start... OK, here are games that remember playing the most from the 16-bit era (which was clearly the golden age of video games).

Mario Kart - the original is the best of the series without doubt.

Secret of Mana - missed this one when the SNES was current, played it about years ago on an emulator... fantastic action RPG, if you like Zelda you need this.

Flashback and/or Out of This World - if you haven't already played these on the PC/another console. Perhaps the best example of how game animation SHOULD look.

Starfox - not a fan of any of the other games in there series, but this one is worth playing, just to see the very well done 3D on such limited hardware (limited in that it wasn't built to do 3D games). If you're looking to have an ultimate SNES collection you need Starfox.

Lost Vikings - I think this was ported to PC and GBA, but if you haven't played it get it for one of them

NBA Jam - don't really care for most basketball games, but had fond memories of this one on the SNES - liked it more than the arcade just because the arcade was so expensive. Great unlockable secrets. Not a classic, but I felt like it was a really big title for the SNES at the time.

Rock n' Roll Racing - Ya, Aerosmith + Blizzard + SNES = pure gold.

Castlevania - one of the Castlevania games on the SNES was my favorite of the series, but can't recall which. Actually, 2nd favorite - I have great memories of the original GB Castlevania.

Super Punch Out - some felt it wasn't worthy to the original, but I loved it.

Oddly I have all these game ROMs on my computer right now, but I'm practically giddy with excitement over the Wii and being able to get these for it!

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I like that I said PAL only and Mario RPG keeps getting mentioned ;) never made it here folks. silly Square/Nintendo :( :( it just hurts that I can't play that.

Anywho! Thanks for the recommendations, keep em coming. shall be visiting my local GameStation for some good retro games. The same guys that had a Japanese Chrono Trigger for SEVENTYNINE quid, yes £79.

mrgreen4242! Re the FlashBack animation bit. That was actually rotoscoped into polygons. all in Deluxe Paint on the Amiga too *read about it just yesterday*. love the game, you can really see where Abes Odyssey and Tomb Raider came from.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Try finding a Honey Bee Magic Convertor it can play NTSC games on the PAL console. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Super FX games, but I loved my Magic Convertor when I had it... those Japanese games are just too crazy.

Of course if you have no interest in NTSC games at all forget what I said here. ;)

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Some of my personal favorites (that haven't been mentioned yet). Not sure if they are available as PAL:

- Actraiser
    - Ogre Battler
    - Sim City 2000
    - Final Fantasy III (VI)
    - Legend of Mystical Ninja
    - Shadowrun
    - Lufia
    - Equinox
    - Gradius III

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

No luck on that front :( Lik-Sang are out of stock and have been for a while, nothing on eBay. alas! shame I get onto these things too late. I want a VGA adapter for my Dreamcast but they're approaching £40 from rareness!

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, uh, why not just wait for the Wii and play these classics on there rather than paying extortionist fees for old carts and whatnot?

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

*hangs head in shame and twists foot into the floor*... I never had a SNES. Really have to make up for that now. also the only missing piece to my Nintendo collection. along with a Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Light.

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Heh, nothing wrong with not having a SNES! I never had a 64! Can't wait to play all the games for that I missed when they were new...

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Great game choices so far. I'll add:

Castlevania IV
    Contra III
    Super Ghouls N Ghosts
    Mega Man 7
    Bombliss (import)
    Q*Bert 3
    F-Zero

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Super Punch Out
    MK II
    Street fighter II Turbo
    Contra

Was there a Metroid for SNES?

Bless

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Oh, ya, FZero! how could I forget?? After I mentioned Super Punch Out I had to play it and I am having a BLAST. That's a terrific game.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have most of the games on your list in my possesion and they were fun.
    Super Mario All Stars was a lot of fun expecially number 3 in the game.
    Yoshi's island was my absolute favorite and I played that game for a long time and still come back to play it now.
    Mario kart was a lot of fun also.
    Super Mario world was probably one of my absolute favorites and I played that one to the end but my sister kept deleting my data.
    The whole donkey kong series were some of my all time favorites and IMO the absolute best was donkey kong country 2 because that was the only one I could beat :p. I think donkey kong country 1 was the worst of the series and donkey kong country 3 was pretty good but it was exetremely hard to beat the burning rope level.

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

That's the only nintendo console I never owned at one point in time or another. I fell for the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) back in the early nineties.

2nyRigz: Oh yeah there was a Metroid game! It had the original title of ... (wait for it)... SUPER METROID! (yay). It's a great game and anyone who hasn't played it definitely should.

PS: That wasn't sarcasm just above. Just plain fun humo(u)r at Nintendo's marketing's expense.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I forgot about super metroid....still doesn't make my list though:) ...theres a SUPER everything for the SNES...just like the DS

Bless

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I don't know if these have already been said, but...
    Donkey Kong Country 1,2, & 3.

22. Squareball macrumors regular

23. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Because they didnt make a whole lot of them to begin with and as more and more people buy them and dont sell their copies, the less and less there is availble.

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Crono Trigger!!!!! Best RPG for SNES, don't even try to say the crappyness that is FFVI is better....

25. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. God forbid that somebody else might be entitled to his opinion ;)

I guess it's a matter of taste. I loved them both… with a slight prefernce for FFVI, mainly for the character development.