Must. Rant. Now. Work. Sucks.

Discussion in 'Community' started by matticus008, Jul 28, 2005.

1. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

[Edited out. I think I just needed to say it and relieve the frustration.]

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Now I really want to know what happened for some reason. :p

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think we all are going to feel that way, you peaked our curiosity now....

4. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

I could put it back, I suppose...but basically it was just a long rant about how everything I've been doing for the past week has been a waste of time because I had it all right from day one. And then, after seven days of reconfiguring and pricing quotes, when my original recommendation was accepted, my boss went and changed items at the last minute. He "manually recounted" the number of monitors and came up 2 units short (leaving us with headless computers), he ordered a huge number of SATA drives for our computers (which don't support Serial ATA and most never will because they have no available PCI slots to add that capability), and he switched computer models to a different type that was both more expensive and also lacking a serial port (which we need because of some specialized card scanners we use). Then, he even went so far as to upgrade all the computers to 1GB of RAM at the factory. We don't need 1GB, and even if we did, I'd never get it from Dell. We are on a tight budget and this will be our biggest purchase for a long time, so wasting money on restocking fees for all this crap is a very bad thing. And all in all, I'm the one that's going to catch hell for this massive purchase getting all screwed up.

Not only did I have it right day one and waste a whole week going through every possible permutation and possibility, but then when the original proposal was recognized as correct, my boss changed it anyway! Now we're back at square one and I am exceptionally tired of pricing out parts and crappy Dell systems.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don'i understand what you are complaining about. isn't every week at work like this and isn't every boss like this?

shut up and be prepared to take the blame......

sorry don't take the above too seriously. i know too well how you feel..

6. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

I think I'm frustrated because it's not always like this in my office. This is the exception to the rule. I guess I just developed a low tolerance for crap like this since I haven't had to deal with it in a few years.

7. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Hmmm. A boss who is an incompetent buffoon and yet will still look good in the end whereas you have to take the heat.
    What else is new?

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Whoever invented work should be shot, or at least dug up and shot.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

yep, but i have to work from now till 8pm. it sucks....

at least i like my work. it's just too much of it. :(

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey, ease up. We're not all like that. A good boss knows he "looks" smarter when he puts good people in place and lets them do their jobs.

12. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

:(

I *hate* it when I know I'm right but others aren't listening. Or even worse, when someone doesn't know my experience level and starts explaining things to me...

Ignorant person: ...and that's where the so and so is. We never need that junk, so just ignore it.
    Me: I taught you on your training course, chump. And as a matter of fact that 'junk' has saved 15 lives. Go away from me now please.

AppleMatt

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

I understand about doing work over and over. Its why I left my first job. (Actually, I started college, so its why I didnt come back). I used to (and still) do CAD work. BAsically, one of the engineers couldn't make up his mind about how he wanted to do a project so the drafters kept doing things, and undoing them, and we had about 4 or 5 versions that we would juggle between. Having said that, it should be our job to make our bosses look good. Often times, in larger firms, it goes unnoticed, but the praise is always sweet when it comes around. When there is no thanks, it makes it a little harder, but I view it as just doing my job.

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Love it, love it. :D

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If it makes you feel any better, I've had this last week off :D Rest assured, I will be back in deep depression by midday Monday though :rolleyes:

16. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I got into a long argument with my boss about a manual I was working on. She ALWAYS must be right. We were writing a caption for a photo and I pointed out that the light bulb must be inserted so that the pins were in a vertical position and she insisted that the pins must be horizontal. I tried to explain that vertical was a 90 degree angle and horizontal was a 0 degree angle and that if the bulb was inserted sideways so that the pins were horizontal, the bulb would not fit the receptacle.

She rolls her eyes, gives me the withering, patronizing look that tells me I know nothing and that I have no business giving my opinion.

No go. The manual says the pins must be horizontal in order to fit into a vertical cavity.

Sheesh. What do I know?

17. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

if i was in that situation.. id be just like "meh, w/e" lol and get back to work.. when it comes down to it.. its not worth getting worked up for.

18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I know, I know, but sometimes it's the principle. If I know I'm right, I have a hard time backing down, especially if I'm adding an error to a project I'm designing.

I'm getting to the point where I don't care anymore. Too much BS lately, getting upset is just not worth it.

19. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

Well at least you have some killer monitors to fill with Keira. :)

...I thought my arduous week had finally ended, but now it seems there's been another intervention. I'm moving in four weeks, so I've pretty much shut down and just won't cooperate anymore. We're backpedaling on the Athlon64 systems I configured, quoted, and negotiated a discount from HP/Compaq in order to go with a $200 more expensive Dell because it has faster RAM specs. The computers were already modified with a gig of factory RAM (for people that do nothing but email, internet, and occasional Access database entry) that cost us $110 more than we needed to spend.

We could do so much more, and actually IMPROVE usability. In the end, it's not my money and not my decision alone, so whatever. Four more weeks, four more weeks, four more weeks.

Oh! Almost forgot. We're also apparently replacing our domain controller server. Migrating the domain (Server2003) isn't going to be fun at all. And after I'm gone, there's not really going to be enough qualified manpower to do it. It'll be a trainwreck!

20. matticus008 thread starter macrumors 68040

matticus008

Oh yes. I love that! I get "schooled" regularly about things that were last true when the math co-processor was a new and optional component.