iPad mini mutiple devices

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HeyKatie, Dec 17, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm getting an iPad mini for Christmas and I've never had more than one iDevice at a time so I'm not sure how the whole syncing two different devices works. I'll be using the mini for movies and games, how do I go about getting my game data off of my phone and onto the mini?

2. Guest

Basically music, movies, apps, books, etc. you purchase/download on iTunes will be pushed into iCloud (assuming you make a free account).

As for game data. If the game supports iCloud saving then you'll get your saved data automatically. Games like Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc. don't support iCloud so you'll have to start over.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Tortri, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Back one idevice and restore it to the other via iTunes.

Assuming ur using the same iTunes account anything you buy u can put on the other device for free. Restore ur purchases for in app purchases. And movies, music, anything u buy off iTunes will work on ur other device at no charge.

And with iCloud you can sync all ur photos(not videos), calendar, notes, reminders, etc.

5. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Download DropBox for both devices as well, to be able to have quick access to files in DropBox's cloud (assuming you have a DropBox account) including photostream content in the cloud. You can hand pick which content you want to sync between devices usually in iTunes on a computer.

6. macrumors member

If you back up your old device to your computer and restore from backup to your new device, all the game saves, including Angry Birds and PVZ, will be restored to the new device.

7. Guest

But they have different versions (iPhone only and iPad HD).

Only works on universal ones I thought?

8. macrumors regular

It depends on the game.

Some games use iCloud to store your game saves so they'll be okay (but most of those are universal already).

There are also some games where the iPad and iPhone versions are different, but you can transfer the game save files from one to the other. You'll need some software like iexplorer on your PC/mac. I managed to transfer my progress in Dead Space using this method.