MuVo v200 problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by annk, Apr 18, 2005.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I searched and didn´t find anything on this, forgive me if I´ve overlooked something.

I just got a MuVo v200 for my son, and can´t get any mp3s from my PowerBook over to the MuVo. Here´s what happens:

Initially, the Muvo showed up in Finder with the usual white icon. The icon changed, however, when I tried to change the name from "Untitled" to something more relevant. Now, the MuVo shows up in Finder with a Macintosh harddisk icon. Renaming it seemed to create a volume on it - because now there are two icons, the one described above, and the usual white disc icon that appears when a new disk is inserted via USB. The white icon shows up as subordinate to the HD-icon.

I can drag and drop mp3s both from the desktop to the MuVo, and in iTunes (iTunes recognizes it, it shows up there with its own name and icon). But to begin with, only some of the tunes showed up and played in the MuVo, and now I just get a file error message.

So far, I´ve tried erasing, verifying and repairing with Disk Utility, and ejecting and remounting a few times. Nothing seems to work, and now we can´t play any files off the MuVo.

My son tells me that he pulled the MuVo out a couple times without ejecting before I came on the scene. I know this CAN mess up a disk, but I figured erasing, repairing, verifying, ejecting and remounting would maybe fix this.

Anyone have any ideas? Did the bad ejecting ruin it, or is there something we can do to get it back to its original state?

Edit: After ejecting and remounting yet again, it now shows up in Finder with the "correct", white disk icon. It´s still showing up in iTunes, with no eject button there. Not only that, but both Finder and iTunes claim that 62 of its MBs are used - despite the fact that I used Disk Utility to erase it...

2. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Hmmm....Nobody ever have this problem?

Update: Today I plugged it into my Windoze box at work (running ME). It immediately found a driver (I didn't bother to use the CD that came with it, wanted to see what happened when I just plugged it in) and asked if I wanted to format it. I remembered seeing a post where someone wondered if formatting this sort of player on a PC first would help, so I went ahead and formatted.

I then dragged over an Mp3-file, that plays fine. The error message I was getting on the MuVo after having it plugged into my PB was gone.

If this is the solution, and it now works fine with my Mac, I'm of course happy that it's fixed. But it bugs me that I'd have to use a device on a PC before it would work on my PB. I'm used to things mostly just working on my Mac, especially something as simple as a flash-based drive. I hope it was just the two incorrect ejects my son did that caused the problem, and not some lack on the part of my PB.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I feel silly having a conversation with myself in this thread, but since formatting it on a Windows machine fixed the problem, I figured I´d post one more time, in case anyone else ever wonders about this.

Got home to my PB and plugged in the MuVo, which now works fine. I can easiy drag music to it in iTunes. Icons look as I expect them to.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks. I´d seen the first thread, that´s what gave me the idea to format on my PC at work. The icons then took care of themselves. I wasn´t worried about the icons per se, but I wondered if the fact that they looked different than I was expecting, was a symptom of the problem.

I still wonder if it´s really necessary to format a flash-based mp3-player on a Windows system before it can be used on a Mac.

But the next player I get for my son will be an iPod ;)