MW2007 S*cks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alpinism, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Alpinism macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2005
    I was about to order the mac pro hoping for new upgrades, quad core ...etc or a 12" macbook pro. And guess what ? All we were given are some 8GIG Cell phone that supposed to play widescreen video and a tv streamer.

no leopard, no quad cores, no nothing. Guess what apple, you just lost a sale today :mad:

now, where is the page for the 15" MBP :p
  2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Well, actually, we WEREN'T given anything. Apple announced a product that ships in February and another that ships in June. So it was truly a MacWorld about nothing.
  3. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    you have to admit there was never as much hype for 8 core Mac Pros and a Macbook Pro Tablet as there was for the iPhone.

There was an exceptional amount of hype for the iPhone. I'm watching an ABC News and they meantioned that it was rumored for years. Clearly one of the most anticipated products in a long time. ABC News actually got a chance to show it off. The reporter got to hold it. So jealous.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Wow....iPhone....... *runs to change his underpants*
  5. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    You poor tortured soul.

I hope everyone knows how pathetic they sound whining about this stuff. Like a small child who thinks he deserves a candy bar everytime mommy stops at the gas station. Maybe he does, but that doesn't give him the right to whine, kick, and scream when she buys him nothing at all.

As if what is currently available to you isn't good enough. I'm still extremely satisfied with my PowerBook G4 and frankly I wouldn't give a f*ck if Apple didn't release a single product or update for another 5 years.
  6. nimda macrumors newbie

May 12, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Broken promises

I was seriously disappointed too.
    We were promised at WWDC to have the final features of Leopard revealed - and even then Apple was at 150% of their schedule. Are they so far behind that they aren't showing their cards for fear of embarrassment?

And did anyone notice the lack of an iWork and iLife '08?? I want my apps, not some high end phone that not only costs too much but forces me to sign on w/ a company that I'm dying to get away from or a wireless streaming box that I really don't need since I can.. ya know.. just hook that laptop up to the TV directly.
  7. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Expecting iLife 08 in January 07? Right. Sounds reasonable enough.
  8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    The Mac Pros are still too new for an update. Just b/c Intel has the technology doesn't make Apple drop it in.

Apple also has a frequent history of doing computer updates 3-4 weeks after MacWorld. You don't want to blow your entire game on one day.
  9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    It's the same thing every 6 months... an overhyped special event that leaves us dissapointed. I was hoping for a new portable...
  10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    A lot of speculation about the iPhone announced today, here is a summary of good reasons:

1a) Leopard and iLife ship with all new machines and the mac fan base is more than likely to upgrade once they are released.
    1b) Possiblity that some iLife and iWork features will require Leopard.

2) Fend off any small amount of traction the zune could possible be getting

3) Allow people time to sort out their phone contract status by the time the iPhone is ready.

3) Steve really needs media hype to push the iPhone, which is essentially a new product. Holding an "It's Showtime" type media event is not going to garner even close to this much media attention.

In the long run this is better for the iPhone and better for Apple. When Apple releases Leopard and iLife, they will probably get as much main stream media attention that they usually would, but an event like this can really put the iPhone into the hearts and minds of millions of potential consumers.
  11. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
  12. nimda macrumors newbie

May 12, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Good catch. Sorry I'm so tired right now. I'd have liked iLife 07 around now. If iLife & iWork 05 came out at macworld 05 and iLife & iWork 06 came out at macworld 06.. a casual observer would come to macworld 07 expecting to hear something about a new iLife and iWork.
  13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Every time I see "whinger," I want to say "winger," which is the name of a crappy one-hit-wonder 80s band, and then I giggle. Thank you for the pleasure of that! :)

That's all I have to add to this thread! ;)
  14. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    I reckon the iPhone is a turning point for Apple. They are attempting to break into an already highly competitive playing field. The iPod was easier, as it was a unique product, and the MP3 player market sucked at the time.

And there is very little chance of a smaller notebook being released. Apple already have a solid notebook line-up, and the more options they have, the more confusion comes up.

The 8 core MacPro will probably be just a chip option. What I believe would happen (no sources to confirm this) is the 2.0GHz option will be taken out, 2.66GHz dual will be the baseline, 3.0GHz dual the midrange, and 2.66 quad the line topper. Maybe they will be at the same price points as before as well. Just my guess. But i seriously doubt they will hold an event and make a major song and dance of it.

Leopard is still in development stages. It won't be released for a few months yet, maybe early Q2,2007. And they will probably have a countdown for it as well, as they have had in previous OS releases.

just another $0.02
  15. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2005
    yeah i am crying. I am sincere getting ready to spend over $3000 for a quad mac pro. I have been doing Apple motion and Apple FCP on a MacBook. Regardless, I managed to get few tv commercials out already last week (I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO PREMIERE Pro).

We have 2 shorts getting ready to shoot this early spring, for a local film festival and I need to get a proper machine.

I was hoping for a new higher priced quad machines and a slightly lowered price of the current Mac Pro machines. From what it looks like, more likely Apple is going to completely wipe off the current dual core Mac Pro and replaced it with all new Quad Mac Pros.

When would the new Quad come out then? I would expect, either at NAB this april with the new FCS 6.0 and FCS Extreme for the "RED ONE". OR at WWDC this summer.

Either way, the Mac Pro is not a buy now as it will be revamped radically with the new Quads, instead of a gradual CPU only upgrade. Not to mention, having to pay to upgrade to leopard and ilife 07 :mad: BOOO worst MacWorld EVER.

p/s: Also, iPhone lovers, thank you being our UI test dummies for the future true HARD DRIVE DRIVEN WIDESCREEN VIDEO IPOD.
  16. acoustics940 macrumors member

Dec 14, 2006
    I recently changed to macs but good lord..... I didnt think people expected updates every 3-4 weeks the current computers are fine how they are. I didnt know people would act like the world if over because a new software isnt introduced 2 weeks into the first month of the new year either. Is it really that big of a deal if you get ilife 07 2 weeks into 2007?? Is it really that big of a deal apple didnt redesign an already fine laptop line up in a couple of months? People are acting as if the current apple computers are old and outdated pieces of crap because they arent overhauled every 2 weeks. When is the new Os coming out when is the new blah blah blah coming out when is this coming out, should I wait 5 months to buy my apple for the new trash can button add on. How many posts need to be made to ask when to buy something or when are the new updates coming out.
  17. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    It seriously is so retarded how people build themselves up and expect apple to deliver on stuff they have made up in their imagination....absolutely unbelievable. I cannot believe someone is talking about being disappointed because apple didnt release a new portable. LMAO
    Either these are a bunch of 12 year olds or maladjusted adults who need to seek help.
  18. Alpinism thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2005
    Then maybe Apple should drop the name "pro" from their line up. The pro line is supposed to be used by people that make their living with a certain technology and not some teenagers slinging something 'cool' in their pocket.

You can already get Quad Core workstation from other computer manufacturers like DELL, HP ...etc. Not to mention the PREMIUM price that apple charges on every single product they sell. Thank god FCS and the MAC OS are light years better than WINDOZE and PREMIERE PRO.

This is why APPLE is never going to sell their single stand alone MAC OS, because without it they would never be able to sell their overpriced "COOL" hardware. You can get FAR FAR FAR better graphic card than the overpriced card that APPLE charges you on the Mac Pro. Just look around, how many Mac users are buying and using DELL LCD monitors vs the APPLE ones.
  19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    They probably wouldn't be so upset if their house or car was destroyed.

There are a couple more days of the exposition and Apple might just release other products. I seriously don't remember anyone promising anything for the MacWorld keynote or exposition.

I can only imagine Steve Jobs rolling his eyes at all this whining. :D
  20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Sep 14, 2006
    What's the premium on the Mac Pro vs a similar machine from other vendors?
  21. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    The iPhone has nothing to do with the zune. An 8gb, $600 device, has nothing to do with a $250, 30Gb device. The iPhone is out of reach for most of the iPod's/zune's market and has no appeal to most of the people who are interested in the zune.

This point, at the very least, is invalid. This new "iPhone" (we'll see how long that name lasts, Cisco owns the name and already has a product out called that, so I don't think that will last very long) has nothing to do with the iPod's market right now. It's not even available at it's excruciating retail price right now.
  22. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    You Whiney buggers.

Here's a tip for you - Apple rarely announces everything they have up their sleves in the Macworld KEYNOTE.

They drop the biggest bombs there to get the coverage of the media. The iPhone has been running hot for months, if not years, and as such devoting the largest amount of time to it is brilliant. They've demonstrated it to the world and it's been written up in papers everywhere. It's front page on as breaking news and was all over ABC radio in Australia this morning and it's not even likely out here until 2008.

In the coming days/weeks when the iPhone buzz dies down a little Apple will likely bump/refresh other items to regain traction in the media. It's free advertising and it makes no sense to blow their load in one shot.
  23. turtlebud macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    not so much cause of what they released, but because there's nothing cool to look at from apple at macworld. usually i'd go to play (hands on) with the new hardware or software, but this year when I go, i can't touch the iphone, i don't know how much there will be to do with the apple TV and there's no software to play with. sorry if it sounds like i'm whining, i guess i just look forward to playing with the new stuff apple comes out at macword and there isn't really anything to play with this year.

cool, those was my next questions - when will ilife07/iwork07 be released? when are the new ipods coming out? when are the new macs coming out? did anyone see that modbook by owc? starts at $2100.
  24. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    This is understandably dissapointed. Isn't Woz there on his Segway though? It's not quite the same but perhaps you can try and play with him?
  25. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    What are you guys talking about? We did get something new! We get a new airport router!

... yeah Im pretty dissappointed. I really dont care about the airport, AppleTV, and somewhat but not really care about the iPhone... what a bummer, rolled my ass out of bed for nothing this morning :(

so when is the next big mac event?