MWNY: G4 will be at 1.5 Ghz

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by groov', May 24, 2002.

1. groov' macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2001
    Look at this article: The Register has it confirmed....

Apple aims to boost bandwidth with 1.5GHz G4s
    By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
    Posted: 24/05/2002 at 09:29 GMT

Recent word from sources close to Motorola confirm that a significant speed bump will be timed for MacWorld Expo in July, raising current bus speeds, and seeing new 7470-based G4s raise frequencies to as high as 1.5Ghz.

The 7470 supports PC2100 DDR-SDRAM memory at 266MHz, as we told you back in February, (see New G4 roadmaps promise Apple harvest
    ), and PC2100 made its debut in Apple's product line with the launch of the Xserve rack last week. More importantly the new G4 supports front side bus speeds of 133MHz and ...."
  2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Oh My God!! I want One!!! Imagine 2 G4's runing at 1.5Ghz with DDR... Now we are talking about burning Pentiums!
  3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    I wonder if they will release the 1.5ghz in the Xserves at the same time as the PMs? It would make sense.

I can't wait for 1.5, I hope they are dual!

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    1.5 is going against the general rumor trend... everyone else is tipping 1.4s. I'm going to have to stick with the 1.4 rumors.
  5. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but i understood that with servers a high clock speed wasn't as important as the amount (and speed) of the ram. If the xserve already has dual 1GHz G4's, surely that's plenty already?

I know there's the future-proofing argument, but dual 1.5GHz just seems like huge over-kill for a server.

But DAMN! I'll be loving it if apple release a new machine, headlined as '3GHz'!!! That will be a beast-and-a-half.
  6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

It would be so nice to have dual 1.5ghz! With DDRam that would be so cool! Lets hope!
  7. j763 macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2001
    Champaign, IL, USA
    I'm slightly skeptical about the reg's info on new apple processors after this report (hint: look at date posted) :D.
  8. Zenith macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    hehe... everybody thought that the G5 was coming for MWSF. a 'confirmation' by The Register isn't more than a rumour after all.
  9. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    Note that The Register doesn't generally post rumors unless it has verified them at least a little bit. I'll believe this story over most on the rumor sites.

That said, it's still only a rumor of course.

Btw, a 2.4GHz G5 wouldn't go amiss either :D.
  10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Rumor aside, it does give you a nice feeling, doesn't it. Its a significant speed boost, regardless if it is 1.4 or 1.5, and add to that a very likely mobo update, and its going to be more than 1/2 again as fast.
  11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I must say that assuming Apple goes from dual processor 1.0GHz to dual processor 1.5GHz that would be Apple's largest jump in processor power ever. Previously, it was DP 0.8GHz to DP 1.0GHz. However, this is a rumor.

I would still be happy if Apple simply debuts PowerMacs with a high end at DP 1.4GHz. Either way, although there will most likely be no G5s for a while, it's probably a win-win situation on speed.

Fear the King.
  12. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    these are going to be some serious pentium burning machines :)

I can't even remember if Apple has ever raised the speed of the top of the line model by 500mhz! I don't think that they ever have.

I just hope motorola can put out...
  13. eirik macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2002
    Leesburg, VA

We've read and discussed much about the limitations and age of the Mobo. One important point from this, is the Mobo starving the CPU?

Well, if the current Mobo is starving a 1.0 GHz CPU or more so a dualie, and if the 7470 supports a front side bus speed of 133 or 166 with doubled...DDR, do we then have another situation of a Mobo starving a CPU? A much faster CPU that isn't kept properly fed by the Mobo would give us a hurry up and wait system.

So, the questioin is, will this speculated Mobo provide these significantly faster (1.5 GHz) CPU's enough data to take advantage of this CPU speed?

14. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    That would be big...

Say what you want about Motorola, but if they can manage to take the G4 from 800Mhz to 1500Mhz in 6 months, that's dam*ed impressive.
  15. daRAT macrumors regular

May 12, 2002
    Kennebunk, Maine, USA
    Will the current 1 ghz chip be phased out? Or will Apple do away with the 800 and 900 mhz chip?

Cost is going to be the big factor in purchasing a new tower. Maybe there will be a "fire sale" on the current dualie models?:D
  16. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2001
    Getting enough data to the processor...

Watch for Apple to keep making bigger L3 caches until they get up-to-speed with their bus. The speed boosts of recent machines using the large L3 caches really demonstrates how instruction-starved the current crop of machines are.
  17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Re: That would be big...

Remember, you are going from low end to high end, which is really not the correct way to measure a gap.

Usually, you go from low end to low end, or from high end to high end.

If Apple does release the dual 1.5GHz model, then that is approximately a 50% increase in overall processing power. (Don't forget, there may be DDRAM or other surprises that await us.) And I do not remember recently when Apple went 50% from dual processor to dual processor. 800MHz to 1000MHz was about 25%. And with recently being the release of the G4s onward I don't think Apple has ever gone that fast. I know Apple has doubled 16MHz in a period of 8 months (back in 1993) but I think this is a really big jump.

Fear the King.
  18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Re: That would be big...

well, in january they still only had the 867 out right?

so if, in july (month seven), they get to 1.4/5, then they indeed will have gone up from 867 to 1.4/5 in just over 6 months.... not shabby at all.

i'm excited about it all...

too bad i can't get a new computer.
  19. Zaren macrumors member

Jul 21, 2000
    If an article like this had been posted on, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it seems like the owner and webgodess'es new baby is taking up a bit more time than they'd hoped - no updates on the site since the shareholders meeting :)

Apple hardware too expensive? How about a raffle ticket?
  20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Well, I can tell you this, and you can take it with a grain of salt or how ever you choose. There will be 1.4 GHZ Duallies at MWNY. I have not heard anything about a 1.5's there, but you can bet the farm that you will a dual 1.4
  21. gopher macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    I wish the Register was more reliable

We were supposed to see 1.4 Ghz chips according to The Register back in January. Nothing like that ever came out.

Still I love my Flat Panel iMac.
  22. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002

Maybe Moores law just came up this time. Honestly, MoRo should be much farther along than they are. Its possible that a 1.5 has been in the works for a couple of years and the problems have just been worked out.

Also, it would be a prime tme for apple to do a major upgrade, and a new case desin. In creased popularity with the new iMac has brought apple backonto the radar screen. XServe has pricked the ears of serious admins. If, in some close conjunction, apple realeases iPod for PC and then new cases at a much faster speed, everyone will be paying attention. iPods saturate world, PC users jump ship to get the apple their iPod has spoiled them too. New Cases, New Adds...

...somethings brewing at Infinite Loop, and I think its something big.
  23. Zenith macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    From The Register's article:

With RapidIO ports and interleaved PC2700 memory, a humble G5 clocked to 1.5Ghz should be able to achieve memory throughput of 12GB/s.

Whoa... That's twelve times today's G4 PowerMac memory throughput. How's the bandwith for a 166 Mhz DDR bus? About 2.6 GB/s?
  24. sjs macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    If in fact we get:

1.4 or 1.5 ghz
    true DDR
    faster bus
    Quartz Extreme

isn't it likely that the minimum speed boost would be well over 50% and maybe approaching 100% at times?

PS If all this comes to pass, we are probably looking at slightly higher prices than today's pro models?
  25. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    I just hope that whatever the specs are on the new towers, that they'll ship imediately.

Cause I'm gonna buy one. and I want it now. Rather I want it 3 months ago! :D

I think the issue is WHEN WILL THEY SHIP and not will it be 1.4 or 1.5 Ghz....