MWNY: New Enclosures, PC iPod

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Jun 29, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

A previously accurate tipster provides some minor tidbits about upcoming products.

The rumored PC iPod will not be available until later this year (Aug/Sept) rather than MacWorld NY... however may finally include a remote.

MacWorld New York should sport new PowerMac's with slightly redesigned enclosures due to motherboard redesigns. Details limited but the speaker is now white.

2. macrumors 6502a

Motherboard redesigns? Now which tipster that wrote of motherboard redesigns was right? It would provide endless amusement if you created names for the tipsters. But it may jeopardize the real Tipsters.

3. macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I bet the machine is the same colour as the iBook / eMac / iMac

What is that design scheme called? It would make sense for them to call it SnowWhite but that was used before ;)

Ensign

4. macrumors 6502a

They should name the pc Ipod "Gergor Samsa"

Added: Change that to "Gregor Samsa"

5. macrumors 6502a

powermac wont be white like ibooks etc. cause its pro machine..
    what about updated iMacs?? when will I see my iMacs? what are they thinking?

6. macrumors 6502a

hUh? i kinda missed that.. what do you mean?

7. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Oh thank god....a nice juicy rumor to satisfy the pallatte.

White speaker, eh? Sounds interesting. Im interested to see what kind of design the come out with now...I doubt the handles will still be there...

But the redesigned motherboard....I want more info. Guess we'll have to wait a bit...but I guess it'll be very similar to the Xserve

8. macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Easy design changes

The front and back panels of the Quicksilver case can be easily replaced to accomodate different "guts". This was done with the original G4 to Quicksilver changes on both ends.

Its a good case design, but it could be much better. The "G5" will probably be a case redesign and new(er) CPU to signify the substantial upgrade across the board.

By G5 i mean successor to the G4 which replaced G3 not any particular PowerPC CPU/mobo combo. Right now I guess we are at G4.5 and will soon be G4.75 (DDR RAM mobo like the Xserve and maybe a slightly newer G4 CPU).

Certainly wish I had a new better paying job right now, I'd like to upgrade to whatever comes next month no matter WHAT it end up being (it should be pretty good coming from a G4/450).

9. macrumors 68020

G4scott

I predict a futuristic white/silver looking scheme like the eMac.

The case redesign for a new motherboard seems interesting. Maybe its for the motherboard that we saw on eBay a while back. That motherboard was different than the current motherboards, and didn't look like it would fit in the quicksilver case. Maybe they changed the case to allow 2 optical drive bays. That would be cool.

My predictions for MWNY:
    1.4 Ghz G4 (i'm not sure about the actual chip model, like the 7460 or whatever else is current)

Firewire 2 (the mysterious port on the eBay motherboard)

DDR memory (up to 2 GB)

I'm mainly saying this because if they are saying that there is going to be a new case, then the eBay motherboard might be the one for the new case, since it is different than what we have now.

10. macrumors newbie

PowerMac will look like Xserve?

How come nobody has said they think the stylings of the PowerMac released at Macworld will look like Xserve?

That's my guess.

If -- that's IF -- Apple changes the tower case, I expect it to be in the style of the Xserve.

Rugged, industrial metal-looking. Metal power button.

I just hope it's as eye-catching as the current tower design.

Not too staid and boring....

However I do NOT expect any new Macs to sport USB 2 anytime soon.

Think about it.

It just isn't in Apple's interest because of their FireWire push.

Even if Apple includes 800MBps GigaWire, they won't include USB 2.

FireWire is currently slugging it out with USB 2 for dominance and there is no clear winner yet.

This is no time for Apple to give USB 2 a big endorsement.

Expect no USB 2 at Macworld.

11. macrumors 6502

I doubt the handles will still be there...

I think it still will have handles.
    whi?
    because it's easier to carry it around.
    almost no other comp has handles.
    I use them so........ :)

12. macrumors 6502

I doubt the handles will still be there...

I think it still will have handles.
    why?
    because it's easier to carry it around.
    almost no other comp has handles.
    I use them so........ :)

13. macrumors newbie

Why does it always have to be WHITE? :confused:

Is Apple RACIST? :mad:

14. macrumors newbie

stupid play metamorphisis where the main charachter turns into a cockroach. doesn't make much sense.

Oh, and white speaker? give me a break. I want to know if they finnaly put DDR and what kind of clock/bus speed increases we might see.

15. macrumors 6502a

because DELL'S are BLACK

nothing to do with race.

i think its something to do with good versus evil as well.

16. macrumors 6502

On the pc ipod story I'm guessing, if true, that they're merely packaging together something for the xmas season based off of a newer model. I truely wish it had a mic for recording. That would be great to use when sitting through 7 hour training courses.

17. macrumors 6502

It's all about image, fashion, and marketing. Lets not be stoking any fires here on your first post.

18. macrumors newbie

Whatever happened to the diversity of Apple's product offering?

I can remember buying my first iMac and the salesperson said "What flavor would you like?"
    ^--->I would like to see this return in some form. Yum

19. macrumors 65816

If Apple were racist, would they have made this commercial?

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/imac_window.html

No, I didn't think so.

Let's put it this way, it is easier to paint black on white than white on black. Have you ever noticed that? If you want it black, get a can of paint and paint it. Just be sure not to fill the ventilation holes.

Now if your statement is that Apple is too class orientated, Apple does have 3 months same as cash, 2, 3, and 5 year loans. Now really, let's get a grip on reality. Not everything is white because of the choice of race. I am a Mac user, and choose to be color blind, though recognize racism exists. But this is not one of those cases. If Steve Jobs was really racist, he wouldn't be wearing a black turtleneck, and wouldn't approve for the store entrance designs to be black columns with a white Apple logo divided by window. I am sorry if you feel offended, but it was not Apple's intent.

20. macrumors 68020

mymemory

Let me tell you...

Along this year I have seen more G4 400 like enclosures more than the actual silver enclosure design and the old G3 enclosure. Of course everything have to deal with the inflation at the time, etc... but, usually when a new desing comes up makes the old one looks bad except between the 2 last enclosures.

Personally, I like the old G4 400 thna the quicksilver. The quicksilver is a bit "flat" for me. THe G4 400 looks nicer every where without look like a "beach case for the six packs" like the G3 did.

Lets see what Apple is gonna give us this time, for sure they are gonna drop something out 3 days before the convention:)

21. macrumors regular

Metallic G4 does seem more likely.

I agree with the person above that asked why noone is mentioning a metallic case for the new G4 enclosure. It seems likely, since Apple's current motif seems to be white = consumer / metal = pro. Think of the eMac, iMac, iBook, iPod vs. the tiBook, Xserve.

I would love to see a sharp looking metallic encasing - perhaps with a sleek, body that takes up only as much room as it NEEDS to. Maybe it will also take advantage of the sliding drawer mechanisms of the Xserve. I'm sure whatever it is, Apple will have thought of something that we didn't know we needed, but can't live without thereafter.

Joe

22. macrumors 6502a

hey arn,

what did this tipster tell about in the past? was it something big?

23. macrumors 6502a

From Kafka's Metamorphosis. Hes turned into a monstrous vermin, in the end hes killed by his father who wields apples....

Ironically the father just reclined in his chair while Gregor worked, and only after he became a monstrous vermin did the father work. So it parallels the whole Mac Vs Windows conflict.

24. macrumors 6502a

drastik

yes, yes, literacy:D

I see a silver case two, probably less curvy for the proline, and maybe better expansion offerings. Maybe tey'll go the fll ride and let evryone buy the pieces from Apple and build themselves, I wouldn't mind about twenty slots:D

25. macrumors regular

Xserve Towers

It is quite feasible and rather reasonable :) to see many of the fun new traits from the Xserve being passed down the line to the pro-series. DDR based chipset/motherboard, hotswappable drives, and perhaps the debut of "gigawire," allowing clustering or networking of the pro-series (I doubt a dual gigabit ethernet capability, but who knows.)