MWNY predictions..:)

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mmmdreg, Jun 9, 2002.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Although this happens every week, it dies out pretty fast...so seeing as MWNY is pretty close now, what do you think is happening? hardware, software? something completely new?

2. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

MWNY predictions

I predict nothing dramatic. Of course, that's relative. Some members of this posting area seemed to feel that the LCD iMac was equal to Apple's pre-MWSF hype. I did not. And what some here will think is fantastic and exciting and revolutionary, I think will be rather unimpressive. But here's what I expect:

* 1.2GHz G4 processors will be introduced, possibly in dual configs;

* DDR-RAM will be on all pro mobos; I doubt it'll be on the iMacs, eMacs or laptops yet; this is the most impressive development I expect to be announced;

* No firewire 2;

* New pro enclosures;

* Possibly 100MHz speed boosts in the LCD iMacs.

And that's it. I do sincerely hope I'm wrong, though, and that the systems announced make some serious headway against the Wintel competition. But the patterns of the past few years do not make me optimistic.

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You're probably pretty close, Kethoticus.

Although, I would add that "Jaguar" will play a large part as well. Either a release-date announcement, or something along those lines is due.

4. newmacguy macrumors newbie

Stupid....

What does MWNY...I think it means Mid Winter Next Year...but if i knew for sure i wouldnt be asking

5. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

MWNY is MacWorld New York. As opposed to MWSF - MacWorld San Fransico.

Strangely I've never seen MWP for MacWorld Paris, or MWT for MacWorld Tokyo - I guess they're not as catchy!

If you don't ask, you don't get!

6. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Foocha

Also... welcome to the MacRumors messageboard, newmacguy!

7. groov' macrumors regular

Re: not so Stupid....

i think newmacguy is oldmacguy, cus' what he thinks is right....

you probably get what you want from mwny at mwsf

8. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

I'm not sure about Tokyo, but I thought Paris wasn't a MacWorld... I think it is an Apple Expo. Basically, it's the same, but it's an other organization.

I could be totally wrong, too...

k.

9. loicl macrumors newbie

yes you're right it's an apple expo
    but i think you should have a look to
    http://www.clginformatique.com/index1.html
    they are talking about

G4/ 1,2 GHz - 256 Mo DDR - SuperDrive - Geforce 4Mx ou Radeon,
    G4/ 1,4 GHz - 512 Mo DDR - SuperDrive - Geforce 4Mx ou Radeon
    Bi-G4 1,4 GHz - 1 Go DDR - SuperDrive - GeForce 4Ti

and other 2.5 G5 runnng at Motorola. Since in my
    opinion this shop is partening with Paris expo...

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I want MWL - MacWorld London!

11. sjs macrumors 6502

1ghz iMac

I predict iMac to go to 1ghz. Apple is kicking off a huge new ad campaign. I think they would be crazy to give wintel users such an easy reason to NOT buy an iMac...namely that the processor is below the magic number.

A few months ago I predicted that by MWSF 03, every machine Apple has will be offered at 1ghz or more. From a marketing perspective Apple has just got to go ahead and make this commitment. Wintel users think gigahertz and whether we like it or not, speaking from my own personal experience, when you are trying to make the leap of faith to Macdom, you feel like an idiot buying a machine below 1ghz because it "must be" so SLOW.

12. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Does anyone think...

That the pro line will go all dual?

I wonder if that's at all feasible and have noticed no one talking about it. But even a dual 800 on the low end for 1799 dual ghz for 2499 and dual 1.2 for like, 3199 would be a big enough performance boost that a ghz iMac wouldn't barge in too much.

Add the DDR Ram and you have a decent sounding line up. Anyone have any thoughts??

m

13. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

That's 'L' for Leuven, goddammit!

k.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No! No! Pleeeeeeeeease, let it be 'London'!

15. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Re: MWNY predictions

PowerMacs:
    if they come out with 1.2 ghz duals everyone will be dissapointed and apple will be f**ked,if they come out with dual 1.4 ghz's,ahmm...they can stand but apple is still far behind peecees,1.5 ghz duals would be fine

iMacs:if they bump them only to 933 mhz/gf4mx,ill be pissed off,1 ghz's/geforce 4 mx are still sad but i'll buy one
    keeping crappy geforce 2 mx would be suicide for iMacs

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I think apple's going to introduce 1.3Ghz G4s as their top of the line macs. After all, IBM's been able to use 1.3Ghz Power4s for a while now.

17. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I'm not that good at french but this site seems to be a dealership of some kind, why would they post this information unless it was quite a reliable source? Just a thought... seing as i'm definately buying one of the new PM's from MWNY I like the idea of them all coming with a superdrive. (ALthough I doubt I'll ever Use it)

:rolleyes:

18. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Does anyone think...

No, i don't think apple would do that. They need to keep at least one PM as a single CPU. Some people need the expandability of a tower, at the least possible cost. The mid-range could quite easily go dual though. That would be nice to see.

19. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

If you get that, I want MacWorld Hawaii!

20. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

What buses?

What buses would they use with 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. It would have to be 200 Mhz busses to work. I don't think that will happen, but its possible. Imagine DDR. 400 Mhz! That would be so frickin' sweet. I'm pretty sure the iMac's going 1 Ghz.

21. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well, I read that page and it doesn't seem to anything more than just speculation. The info on that website isn't any more reliable than the rumors here.
    :(

22. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

MWNY

My Conservative Predictions:

-iMac: 800MHz & 933MHz, same otherwise

-PowerMac: 933MHz - 1.2GHz with DDR RAM and SuperDrives across the board.

My Optimistic Predicitons:

-iMac: 800MHz - 1.0GHz, 256MB+ SDRAM, BlueTooth Support, New Wireless Mouse & Keyboard, Upgraded Graphics (?), Base Model gets COMBO Drive (advantage over eMac) Standard SuperDrive in other Models. Perhaps a SE Model with 17-inch Screen.

-PowerMac: 1.0GHz - 1.4GHz, 512MB+ DDR RAM, BlueTooth Support, New Wireless Mouse & Keyboard, Upgraded Graphics (ATI 8500 & GeForce4Ti) SuperDrive2 (Faster) in all models.

-BlueTooth Added to iBook, PowerBook (remember this is optimistic)

-Wireless Optical Mouse & Keyboard Available in August for $79/each.

-Jaguar Available in August

-iDevice: Tablet running Jaguar with InkWell?

Here's Hoping,

Bill :)

23. Gatorman macrumors regular

I don't mean to sound like an ass here, but I hope for our sakes that we're all offbase and the expo is going to be a lot more exciting than what's being predicted. It would yet be another crappy, disappointing expo if that's all that happens, if you ask me.

24. boobers macrumors regular

Re: Does anyone think...

That does seem very likely to make a better distinction between the proline and the consumer line...if they don't whip out the G5 then this dual idea seems very likely to me.

25. imamacguy17 macrumors member

The Real Deal.

Lets look at the past year. shall we. We got a new iMac. We got updates to the Tibook, and the iBook. We got the Xserve and all of the new software. For MWNY the only hardware we will see is a new "final" G4. Bottem line the Xserve is still using a G4 and it is proudly proclaimed. The final G4 will sport a new enclosure and all the features of the Xserve. Monitors will probably get an update because they need them (and a price cut most likely 100-300 bucks across the line) As for inkwell the usual one more think and the we cant paint all the numbers together into a picture. The device will be a tablet computer. It will be about the size of a notebook 8.5 x 11 inches and only 1 inch thick. Instead of a keyboard for imput it has a writable screen and it will run the full OS X. It will have the full range of conections as well as an ADC conection for a dock. The dock will look like the "frames" of the current monitors and will house a power supply. This combines all of the convience of a laptop, the portably of a pda, abd function of a workstation. This is the future. This is the way. Macintosh.