MWNY, What's going to happen?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by MacManiac1224, Mar 23, 2002.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2001
    MWNY: Well I guess the buck stops here: We keep pushing the debut of the G5 from Macworld to Macworld: what does this mean? I haven't seen any believable evidence on what's going down in July. I hear rumors, but they are only rumors until Steve comes out and says what's going down. My predictions:

New G4, maybe 1.2, but most likely 1.4, DP of course.
    1 Ghz G4 with 133mhz SDRAM
    1.2 Ghz G4 with 266-500 mhz Rapid I/O memory
    1.4 DP G4 with 266-500 mhz Rapid I/O memory
    New hard drive of 100gigs
    More memory accross the board: 256, 512, and maybe 768.
    Not sure on pricing but simaler to it is now.
    No new iMac updates till MWSF or a little earlier.
    iBooks, not sure, anybody's guess is as good as mine.

Powerbook update: it needs this: like 800mhz bump and 1 ghz bump, i am not sure about the 1ghz but we can always hope.

Also it OS 10.2, which would be nice.

I think also we might see a new digital device, have not idea what this could be, I think it is time for something new, iPod is nice, but that is only one piece of the puzzle. We will see though.

I think that really sums it up.

Ok, now, what do you guys think:

PS: If anybody has any info on the G5, just indicate in one of the messages below that the G5 is on it's way in the 8-9 months or so. I am really looking foward to the G5. Thanks
  2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    MacManiac1224, I agree with you completely! Not sure about another device though. i reckon both the iBook + PowerBooks will be updated (ibook - "sahara chips" + Powerbook - "Apollo" chips.

I reckon the G5 will be out January 2003. Also, we will definatly see OSX.2 in July.
  3. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    i think and hope

I dont think that the g5 will be out anytime soon.
    Infact, I have decided to forget about it. < Insert gangsta voice >

I think that DDRam will be the change that will compell buyers to take a Powermac plunge. of course speed bumps are a must. Hopefully the new SOI chip can be be upped to 1.4.

Powerbooks will be upped, better video and the hopeful 1ghz speed increase.

If this happens I will drop 7 thousand dollars in one shot.
    oppps make that 10 thousand with the new studio display added on.
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

I agree that we will not see the G5 at MWNY, instead 1.2 and 1.4 ghz computers like others have said. I do think they will give it a new design to make it more atractive. DDR ram would also be nice. I think the main focus will be on a new TiBook or whatever new dsign they make it. They should release 800mhz and 900mhz. 1ghz would be nice but not likely.
  5. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    aawwww no 1 ghz?

Do you really think that there wont be any 1 ghz chips for the powerbooks?
    I mean, couldnt they just uhhh drop the SOI chips that start at that speed into the Ti. Is that technically possible.
    Pulease say it is.
    I was So very disappointed that there was no speed bump this time around, I dream of a 1ghz Ti.
  6. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2001
    ok - "uncle"

Even I am ready to concede that the G5 will probably not be out in NY :( .

With that said, I would surely hope that we will see DDR ram and faster bus. A new enclosure would be a bonus. Combine that with the new HD cinema display, and you've got a pretty sweet rig.

If these things happen, I will be a somewhat happy camper.
  7. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    We say that we don't think that the G5 will be released until SF2003 but there is as it gets closer to MWNY02 we will start to rumorize and in the end I bet a bunch of us think that the G5 will be released.

8. Outsider macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2002
    North Carolina
    I think the next 'G5' will be in reality a 32bit part based on the e500 core (this has a 7 stage pipeline) like the MPC8540. It'll be made with a 130nm process with SOI and include builtin memory controller for DDR memory. Cache will most likely be 512K for the L2 and no support for L3. And it should use RapidIO to connect to peripherals on the motherboard. Basically a stripped down 8540 with Altivec.
  9. Taft macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    Apollo on TiBook.

I've seen technical information about the Apollo that it consumes more power and gets hotter than the pervious incarnation of the G4. Given that, I wonder if it will ever make it into the TiBook. I'm expecting the first revision G4 in the new TiBooks.

10. Lightningwolf macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm not going to get my hopes up...

for seeing major changes at MWNY. My guess is that the already hot TiBook MAY get a clock multiplier boost, bringing the speed to 667 and 800 MHz. I'd expect nothing else to change. For the Power Mac, I'd say maybe speeds up to 1.2GHz for the high end, maybe. I'd expect for a 1.13GHz, and maybe a increase in hard drive space, but that's it. Sorry to be a downer, but after the last couple MW's my cup is half empty.
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Ti book will probably get a clock boost, and a higher res lcd.

If the go to DDR ram and faster bus (please, please!) then the whole motherboard could get a revamp, paving the way for a chip swap in 2003 with the G5.

I agree with ensign paris about the G5 issue. I don't expect it either, but there will be a huge amount of speculation and eager anticipation weeks before the show. I'm going to try to have no expectations, so I won't get dissapointed again.
  12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    half empty?

half empty, hell my cup has a freakin hole in the botton and its leaked all over my new white cords!

I don't think anything good is going to happen at all.
    Nothing, no speed bumps, no DDram, no Ti colors.
    And certainly no G$'s.

I got 10 grand waiting to spill outa my pockets and buy apple stuff.
    But Noooo, there is nothing I want and i dont think anything is coming.

Why bring out new stuff when everyone is buying the old.
    Hell, Jobs wants all that stuff in the warehouse gone!

Heh, when I heard that Jobs makes only 1 dollars at his job.
    <Plus the 45 million in stock option> <Snicker>

I thought, man!, this company must be very important to him.
    he will do the best that can be done for apple.

But then i realized that, What the hell , he isnt getting paid!
    It doesnt matter what he does, why should he care if they fire him he loses nothing, there was no pay! ~duh!

I think Jobs has some sort of strange plan where the company that ousted him in the first place will pay a dear price for their betrayal!

I know it s bit off topic, but i did address the subject in the first portion.
    Nothing, nothing is coming this NY, no chips, no upgrades, no 10.2
    Maybe a 20 gig iPod for 700$ with a 50$ option for add on speakers.
  13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    re: half empty

that's what u get for wearing white cords...:p

seriously....I'm thinking the TiBook is going to get boosted up a bit....not so sure about the resolution of the LCD superdrives....

and maybe.....just maybe....we'll have an updated tower....faster bus....

I wonder when we'll start seeing them capable of holding more than 1.5 Gig of RAM?!
  14. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    New case:

I have no certainty at all but I'd love to see a new case. Apple may follow the same trend as with the G3 blues and proto a new case/mobo for 6 months before switching chips.
  15. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    New case

I'm with Mischief on this, I think we'll get an updated case on the G4, just like what they did with B&W cases on the G3...... ready for a G5 announcement in Jan 2003........ I'm not convinced we'll see updated bus speeds, or any new hot rod memory....... I dread they'll keep the serious goodies back for the G5.....

Updated Ti Books, with bigger better hard drives, minimal speed increase and higher screen res a must!!! I'd still like to see a dual processor option in this..... but I don't reckon we'll ever get it!!!! And a super-duper extra long lasting battery!! A chrome finish would be nice aswell........ all shiney!!

OSX.2 definitley..........
    No PDA type thingy....
    No digital camera.......

I'll think about the rest.......