mwny

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by firewire2001, Apr 2, 2002.

1. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i think that apple will jus stay at the g4 level, but upgrade speeds... mayb ddr ram and a better video card... but i would expesct TOO much. usually apple has released brand new products at the mwsf, but correct me if im wrong, and has upgraded products at mwny....

ill bet @mwsf theyll release the g5s and mayb make a new case or sumthin....

probably at mwny they will release more support (final support?) for blue tooth and mayb SOME new stuff like a wireless keyboard. iw ouldnt be surpsied if they made bluetoooth a standard internally on some of their macs.

i doubt also that they will release 10.2... anyways... i've seen the 6b11 version of 10.2 and it didnt look to impressive - i mean new features were great, but the OS was far from being finished.

anyways, just my two cents.... im not too great at predictions, nor with apple product history other than the last few years...

cheers!

-firewire

2. firewire2001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry!

gah, im sorry... didnt mean to create a whole new thread... i know theres one already started bout macworld ny.... my msitake... meant to post a reply..

sorry

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

don't worry, i have not seen any mwny threads recently so this thread will suffice

mwny is a great time for a newer os x and for the g5

i would hate to wait until next year to see a g5 but that may be the case

if they give us the g5 this year, then i could see a g4 ibook as the showcase of mwsf in 2003, or perhaps a dual processor tibook, or an os 11

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

ok, ok, i am a dreamer as well as a double poster..he he...the guilty pleasures of the internet

the cube, the ipod, and the new g4 imac were beyond even my most optomistic predictions

i did gripe about the ipod's price, but it is a real nifty piece of engineering and the one product that pc users don't criticise (except maybe the price)

i am not holding my breath, but i would jump at a chance to buy an apple camera...especially if it could unseat the amazing digital elph camera by cannon (the best dollar for dollar digital camera two years running)

5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

i'd be happy with a faster G4 maybe a high end 1.2 or 1.4 dual. definately DDR ram, maybe a slightly bigger hard drive either 100GB or maybe even a 120GB.

Let's see the Nvidia Ti 128 card be a standard, and maybe we will see a revamped motherboard, sort of a G4 G5 hybrid. a faster system bus maybe a new case. i think the quicksilver design came out at MWNY 2001.

Maybe firewire 2 will be out and support for USB 2 will also be added.

why not OSX 10.2 and quicktime 6.

I'm excited and can't wait till this July. Go Mac and make us all happy.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

1.4 dual can do it for me i guess;)

are you going?

7. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i'm with you guys on the camera... i'm going to get desperate pretty soon and might have to spend my hard earned money on a canon elph

but i really would rather support my fav company

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Camera!

I HOPE apple does not make a Camera. Well, if they do, they need to release a G5 first. It has been a while since we have had a new chip, not just a new architecture.

9. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

Re: Camera!

why shouldn't they make a camera? they have a great touch when it comes to design & usability--granted they would have a lot of competition--and they can always just have a different company help them with the internals

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Camera!

I didnt say they never should. I just think we need a new computer updates, then they should release a camera...

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

While Apple is at it developing a camera, why not a camcorder to go with Firewire 2? Interesting...

Have you guys noticed that just before 17:00 on the East Coast everyone except TyleRomeo has posted twice? Maybe I should get a free one in!

Nah! I already got away with a triple!

I've posted some thoughts on a PowerMac G5 for New York, but I can't make the final decision whether or not it will come out.

Dual G4: Cool.
    Dual G5: Way Cool.
    Mid-year release: Rats! For those whose just purchased their Dual G4 are kicking themselves as I type!

New catch phrase . . .

In the time it takes this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations.

12. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I think...

...that we'll see a new motherboard with:

1) 266 MHz FSB (which, of course, means DDR 266 ram)
    2) Firewire2 (it's already done, the standard has been approved)
    3) USB2 (also done, it's already being used)

As for the chip, I'm not sure. I'd guess 1, 1.2, 1.4, but I'm not sure which (if any) would be DP. G5 at mwsf. I think the new bus will make a *big* improvement.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, more speculation!

This will probably be done again a few more times, but I'll put in my picks:

If it doesn't come out in WWDC New TiPowerBook - higher res screen, faster processor.

G4 with new mobo, faster bus and memory.

19" Apple Display

No Camera

Faster iBook, Classic iMac (that's a good one, the Classic iMac)

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I heard that Apple is planing to use more than 2 processors. I do not know if fro MWNY but the rumor is around.

15. pc_convert? macrumors regular

I think Catfish_Man has hit the nail on the head, this sounds more than reasonable.

Upping the FSB speed will make a big difference to the speed, because RISC architectures tend to access main memory more frequently than CISC architectures (even though caches have gotten bigger).

I would also expect bluetooth to be included as standard on the motherboard given apples recent statements.

16. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Try this

Apple usually seems to go with its high end computer, soon being the low end.

So...Try

933MHz
    1GHz
    1.2GHz DP

All with FSB266MHz.

17. iGav macrumors G3

Why a still cam.....

Why not a dual function camcorder??

I've got an upright JVC that also has built in Digital Still Fucntionality (DSC) and Flash card, it also has full manual over-ride of shutter speed, focusing etc so it can do pretty much the same as dedicated still camera but still has the added bonus of capturing movement sound!! Eurekkaaaa!!:D

I'd much prefer Apple to release a dual functionality camera, with built in Firewire 2...... it must have manual overide though.... I hate Auto focusing, and shutterspeeds..... terrible just terrible.....:p

But what we're likely to get....or what I like the sound of and what I'd like!!!

New G4 Power Macs.....@
    • 1Ghz
    • 1.2Ghz Dual
    • 1.4Ghz Dual

Better, faster, more Ti Books @
    • 733Mhz
    • 867Mhz
    • 933Mhz
    Better res, better graphics, better battery, bigger harddrive.

Maybe a 19" LCD could be widescreen.......... lets hope so...... scrap the 15" and have 17", 19", 22", 23" spot on sir!!!;)

No new iBook, no iPod update, no camera, no PDA type thingy and no G5!!!:(

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

WWDC

All this speculation is great, but we have a big event coming up in May that will most likely see a few new things. Worrying about MWNY might be a bit premature.

Last year at WWDC we saw a new iBook, openning of the first Apple Stores, OSX on every delivered Mac, all LCD displays. Check the link:

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2001/05/wwdc/keynote.html

If last year was any indication, this year's should be packed with goodies. Most likely OSX.2

19. iGav macrumors G3

I do hope OSX.2 gets announced at the WWDC, with those spring loaded folders that I so desire...... And more speed!!

And lots of other dreamy things aswell, but it's too late to go into all this at this time of night.....:eek:

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the tibook being the greatest laptop i have ever seen, does have some competition

today at circuit city, i saw a sony vaio with a pentium 4 1600 mhz, 16" inch xga lcd screen, half gig of ram (ddr 266 mhz), nvidia high end mobile video card, 400 mhz system bus, combo drive, and tons of buldled software for $2500...not bad

i still like the tibook but this sony vaio was really cool for the price

i hope apple bumps the speed of the tibook and offer some other improvements

the ibook could also use more speed and i hope they at least keep one 4.9 lb. 12" lcd model and sell that for less than $1000 dollars

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

...And 15 whole minutes of battery life, I'll bet. :)

But yeah, the TiBook is really starting to fall behind. Well, what am I saying - it started to fall behind more than 6 months ago, and now it IS behind.

Alex

22. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

16in XGA

I saw that same computer, but not in person. Lemme guess though...

2.5 inches thick
    20 minute battery life
    9.6 lbs.

Does that sound about right?

23. oldMac macrumors 6502a

My Predictions...

MWNY Updates
    1) Faster TiBooks and iBooks
    2) Speed bumped G4s, but no major motherboard changes
    3) Mac OS 10.2

Fall Updates
    1) Lower prices on iMacs
    2) Lower prices on iPods
    3) G4 Speed Bumps
    4) FireWire 2 and Bluetooth availability

MWSF
    1) The G5 with all-new enclosure and motherboard
    - 1.5 Ghz
    - Dual options
    - HyperTransport Bus Architecture

24. FooDragon macrumors newbie

MWNY Tickets

I've gone to the last two mwny and loved it, and it was after mwny that I bought my first ever mac, a dp800. I'm lovin the machine and have no regrets leaving the windows world behind...but I have one problem. I forgot where I registered for mwny the past two years, it was just the basic pass, exbits only, and it was free. If you goto the offical site the basic is 15 dollars, I know there is someway to register for free, I'm just not remembering how. If anyone knows how, please mail me.

_rob
    foodragon@comcast.net

25. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: 16in XGA

Can you even imagine a 1.6GHz P4 on your lap? Man, I have a 550MHz G4 on my lap and I can't even imagine the 667. I wonder how many third-degree burns are going to be or have been caused by this thing. Seriously, the Powerbook has a hard enough time managing its heat problem - how do the P4 laptops do it? I would imagine if only the screen on this Vaio were heated, you'd be able to close the lid and use it as a waffle iron.

Alex