MWSF 2008 Meetup

Discussion in 'Macworld San Francisco 2008' started by arn, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hi guys,

We're going to try to coordinate a more official meetup this year at MWSF. Last year, we had a small informal one that I think worked out well and was kinda fun.

No official plans have been made, but tentatively, it is planned for the evening of Monday Jan 14th, the night before the keynote.

The reason for this time is that Keynote day is a crazy day with a lot of other activities going on, and major announcements. It's hard to find the time on that day. Also, meeting people early means you can recognize folk for the rest of the conference.

I was at Macworld SF 2007 but only know the area in passing. So, I'm going to open it up for locations/suggestions. I know last year there were some who wanted to lean away from a bar due to age restrictions, but I think a bar/restaurant is the best option.

I'm not sure how many people would show up, but last year's informal meetup brought together about 10 people. I think this could be significantly more if it is official.

I'm open to renting/paying for a space or other activities if necessary. I think location-wise we should try to make it close to Moscone as it will be the easiest for people to get find.

arn

2. macrumors 604

ravenvii

3. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

I'll go. Heck maybe ill win that scholarship again.

5. macrumors 68000

lofight

I would want to go, but i think 13 is not olf enough ey?? :p

6. macrumors regular

aljawad

7. macrumors regular

sonofpismo

Me too...

This is my second SteveNote, but 1st time to MWSF and California in general.

8. macrumors regular

What about one of the hotel bars or lounge areas? Surely they wouldn't mind the facilities being used if people are buying drinks. It would be a more relaxed atmosphere than a crowded bar or club.

9. macrumors 6502a

thesdx

This is somewhat of a stupid question, but are Macworlds free to go to?

10. macrumors member

It's $29.00 for the exhibition hall which is good for 4 days. You can also try to win free tickets at The mac observer web site until DEC. 4th. For more info on Macworld go to their web page gives you all the prices. They also going to have a party on Tuesday night, but it cost $40 bucks. .......FYi :D
    >
    >
    http://www.macobserver.com/contest/mwsf08contest.shtml

11. macrumors regular

Ill be there :) Ill be attending SF State in the fall of 08, so i'll just be a few minutes away!

12. macrumors member

Polar Bear Farm (my company) should be able to help you out. We're coming all the way from New Zealand, to exhibit at MacWorld, and got some exciting announcements planned.

Flick me an email layton at polarbearfarm.com if you're after an exhibit hall pass, we get a bunch of free ones as an exhibitor, as well as discounts on other passes.

But i'd be keen on a MacRumors meetup. i'll be there as long as nothing else conflicts.

13. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I looked up the rules, and it looks like if you have somebody older than 16 with you, then you are good to go.

14. macrumors member

Looking forward to check out your iphone apps @ Macworld 2008 :D

15. macrumors newbie

I'll be in the game!

Hi everyone, i'm not often posting in the Forums (that's why i'm still a newb) but read it very often! ;)

I live in Montreal (Canada) but i'll be in San Francisco for the MacWorld Expo so bet i'll be there to meet with all of you! Count me in! I'll follow this thread to know where we are supposed to meet up since I don't now SF (but i'll be very close to the Moscone Center - 5 min. walk) :)

16. macrumors 65816

I will goto MWSF 2008 too. Still debating getting the Keynote ticket or just a regular pass.

17. SXR
    macrumors 6502a

SXR

Besides, you're more than a 1000 miles away ( and so am I!) :(

18. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Last year I suggested the lounge area on the ground floor level of Moscone South, which is what we did and, I believe it worked well. Unless someone has a better idea, I think this is still the best place to meet up. If somebody really wanted to kick this up to the next level, I suppose they could rent a meeting room on the mezzanine. Volunteers? :)

19. macrumors 68000

lofight

:p yeah pitty..

20. macrumors 68000

Silencio

I'd be down for meeting up, schedule permitting...

21. macrumors newbie

I live about 5 minutes from Moscone, so if I can help out in planning events/locations, I'd be happy to do so.

22. macrumors member

party at yours then :D

23. macrumors regular

Afterparty at my place! (about 10 mins away) How much is a keynote ticket anyway?

24. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Cheapest ticket that gets you access to the keynote is $229 if you purchase by December 14th.

25. macrumors regular

hah ill pass. Id rather sit outside of Moscone and watch updates come in on my mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.