MWSF is around the corner!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cesar, Dec 7, 2003.

1. cesar macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    MWSF is around the corner...

what to you want to be introduce at MWSF? what do you expect?
  2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    I'd like to see a small form factor G5 for the 20th Aniversary of Mac but I think that's asking a lot. I expect to see updated G5s and I'll probably get one shortly after.
  3. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I'm half-expecting a new Cube. One of my friends (a Windows user) says that if they come out with a Cube for less than NZ$4000 (US$2500), he'll get one. Another potential switcher!

I hope they don't release new G4 desktops (I don't expect them to) because I want my current G4 to stay top-of-the-line (G4 line) for as long as possible :)
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    this is the event that lays out the rest of the year in hardware and software development

on the software front, expect some totally new product...but what it is, i have no idea

this would be a great time to announce something really big on the professional laptop front, like a G5 powerbook...we all know and expect the G5 to go mobile sometime in 2004

if that does not happen, maybe a dual G4 in one of the remaining macs that have G4s in them...i would think a dual G4 laptop on the pro end and/or dual G4s in the imac/emac families

in the end, i don't think mwsf will simply be speed bumps here and there

a huge move, which even the most zealous doubt, would be an apple pda or cell phone of some sort
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Kinda "different" that now we have the G5 and Panther, the rumors are not buzzing full-time about the coming MacWorld.
    Usually MWSF is the event for getting the hopes up really high, expecting the world.... but this time its exceptionally quiet.

Kinda a pitty the G5 is here now.... No G5 expectations anymore, for the first time since about 2 years :D
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    G5 Powerbook, anyone? :p
  7. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I doubt we'll see much amazing news since we have everything we need. This year has been for the PBs, iPod, iTMS, Panther, and G5s. What else is there really? I expect to be disappointed, BUT...

Let's say Apple can still fuel this fire... They better have tons of things up their sleeves that will make 2004 better than 2003!
  8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Same here, a small form factor G5 thats got a kickin video card/chip for the 20th Aniversary of Mac. Even a All in one if it had the performance if not i guess its back to the powermac and ill wait for the next upgrade.
  9. pilotgi macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2002
    I think there will be lots of announcements.

G5 XServe

Lots of software upgrades and some new software.

Some great new hardware to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Mac. (G5 Cube I hope)

Headless iMac (I hope)

Also, maybe the iMac's G4 will get upgraded to the newer version with the 512K L2 cache like the one's in the PowerBooks.

I think MWSF will be big.
  10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    with increased percentage of macs being laptops, the G5, and panther, this year of 2003 has been truly amazing for apple inc

while i think 2004 may bring a lot, it will be hard to surpass the amazing year we have had

partnering with ibm has been great for the high end macs and may prove to be an influential long term move for both parties concerned

let's reach for 3 ghz this year...the pc world seems to be stuck at 3.2 ghz and have not hade much of a move since reaching 3.06 ghz
  11. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2003
    Victoria, Australia
    I think it or at least January will be big too. I just can't see Steve letting the 20th anniversary go by without a big "wow".

I expect Apple to do something very innovative that will (yet again!) change the direction of the computer industry - an industry that still hasn't caught up to the iMac Flat Panel yet.

It will be software - probably an all-in-one something like GoBe's product.

It will definitely be hardware and most likely something all-in-one in celebration of the original Mac. And innovative leaving the rest of the industry again wondering why they didn't think of it first.

Steve's mottos are "Innovate" and "Think different"

Expect to see him and Apple live up to them in January.
  12. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    I have a feeling that SJ will announce products for both MacWorld and CES.

I expect a lot of software upgrades in Jan. or upcoming.

Mini-iPod and 4 g iPod.

New G5 updates

Probably announcing of the upcoming G5 Xserve.

Probably announce something for the 20 ann. as well.

I'm looking for iTMS's to open in Jan. or soon after. If not iTMS may lose some steam to competition going overseas as well.
  13. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Yeah I think by the end of the yr.(04') the G5 will be at 3 to 3.2GHz basically putting Apple at or within 1GHz of Intel if Intel can put out it's planned 4Ghz processor.
  14. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    in the context of the past couple of years, that would not be bad at all...if we can pull within a ghz of the pc world's speed, then that will be very good

with the ibm processor, at least we won't fall that far behind but there is no way i think, clockspeed-wise, that ibm will ever catch up with intel and amd but the macs have other ways to keep almost current with pc world'

the pc world can claim better/faster hardware components, but what really counts when it comes to the computing experience is that we have the easier to use operating system and it's a heck of a lot prettier than windows xp

windows xp is still way prettier than windows 2000 or windows ME, but xp only did that by "borrowing" the aqua look from osx and the nerve of microsoft to call their operating system "X"-P is beyond me...can't microsoft come up with anything original??

15. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Jobs will definitely have a Mac screen show the "hello" that was made famous with the first Mac. Who knows? Maybe iWrite is a Paint program?
  16. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003

Intel is going to have a hard time this coming yr to get their planned 4Ghz processor off the ground. I believe it's not expected until the 3rd-4th qtr of next yr.
    This means both IBM and AMD will be playing catchup in the clock speed wars.
  17. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    my ibook has an ibm processor
    my pc laptop has an amd processor
    ...and my intel processor computer is in the garage...but intel, at least right now, has the other two companies "in the garage"

i sure hope someone can realistically challenge intel

non computer people usually have no idea that the brains of a computer are made by more than intel corp

so many intel commercials every time i turn on the boob tube it's gotten to the point they are like kleenex are to facial tissues and clorox is to bleach
  18. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
  19. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

Dec 17, 2002
    What ever happened to the "digital hub" idea? I think Apple has music covered pretty well. Why not focus on the other areas now? (pictures, movies, dvds)

But there is more to the digital hub than that. Why not bring radio into it? Or the telephone? Or the TV?

That's what I'm hoping for a MWSF. Music is great, but it's not the only thing.
  20. jholzner macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2002
    Champaign, IL
    I doubt we'll see any integration with telephones. The push here is through iChat AV and also iSync and how it works with cell phones.

Steve Jobs hates TV so he will leave this market up to someone else...Macs already work with TiVo.

Radio is probably too old fashioned for Apple and Steve. We have internet radio and I think that is as far as they'll take it. They see the future as ala carte downloads via iTunes and listening via iPod...not radio...though I would like to see a FM receiver on iPods.
  21. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    Y'all gettin your hopes up too high.

The 20th anniversary of the Mac will be more hype and nostalgia than anything else. Don't expect any new radical anniversary hardware.

The most dramatic news will come in the form of expanded iPod line. Cheaper versions will be added. Colors will be added. Some cool new feature that no one's ever thought of will be added.

Update to the iLife as reported by everyone. Please please new iPhoto.

New xServes...I doubt it. This is a show for consumers, people. Apple will not revamp it's entire pro line like some of you are expecting. Updates to the Power Macs will come later in Jan. or Feb. The PowerBooks will get one more round of G4 updates, prolly in Feb/March.

The iMac and eMac are the great mystery, for me anyway. Apple doesn't seem to have a clear strategy for the low end. Would be nice to see something new--it'll have been 2 years since the iMacs were introduced. I don't think they've sold particularly well.

New iPhone, iPad, iPDA, iGadget??? I doubt it. All the recent iThingy rumors have probably come from the new iPods/miniPods that are in development.

My expectations for the Stevenote:
    15 min State of the Mac blah blah
    45 min iLife
    60 min (at least) iTMS + iPod

Interestingly enough, the Keynote is scheduled for only one and half hours. Enough time for one major new release which I expect will be the iPod. So there you go. It'll be underwhelming for most MacRumors folks I'm sure. Personally, the only things I'm waiting for are the G5 PowerBooks and the upgrade to the PPC980 (G5.5???). Both I expect for this summer at the earliest.
  22. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    hahahaa, reading that got me thinking... apple releases yet another 'mac classic' :rolleyes:
  23. Pandora macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2003
    Zürich, Switzerland
    why is everybody forgetting the new displays? I want one! :D
  24. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    hehe, that would be awsome...

a limited edition, up-to-date computer in a "classic mac" formfactor...

a buddy for my se/30

on topic:
    I highly doubt that we'll much new besides speed bumped iMacs, new flash based iPods and an iLife update...

25. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM