MWSF price drops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by buckuxc, Dec 27, 2003.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

hey all,

Does anyone have a good estimate (based on year's past or other info) of how much powerbook prices will come down at MacWorld, if in fact they do at all? I've been in the market obviously for a little while now, but now I'm just sittin on my hands until MacWorld b/c it's so close. Since I have the education discount, I was kinda hoping maybe the 15" (w/o the superdrive, etc.) will come down enough. Any thoughts? Thanks.

sps

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Probably not i think most of the laptops have hit their absolute bottom
    its worth waiting to be sure but i would expect that price might only drop a little in the months before summer to clear the channels for g5 pbs

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

With so many other updates looming (PowerMac speed bumps, G5 xServes, LCDs, iPod-related updates, updated iApps, etc.), I don't know if an announcement regarding PowerBook price drops will occur - Jobs has too much to announce as it is! Plus, I agree with Kwyjibo, I don't see the line going much lower in price until the summer, when the G5 PowerBooks will be close to release.

It doesn't hurt to wait another week for MWSF just to see, but don't expect anything.

4. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

what ive noticed is apple doesnt generally drop prices at all... they just speed bump and leave the prices the same, giving you a better product for the same price... if you can hunt down the previous revision through a third party or a special deal on the apple page then you can save some cash...

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

They DO drop prices...

It was this summer, just after I got my PB12" :( , Ok, doesn't hurt because I was playing with it before, but the price were some 200 bucks down, but for MWSF it's difficult to say, I agree with the G5 pre-release theory.... but you never know with SJ and the "kind of fruit company".

That's all I have to say about that. ;)

6. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

You should always wait until after MWSF before making any major purchases. Apple is very tight lip about any announcements that they are going to make. If I were you, I'd hold on for a few weeks, you'll have no regrets.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

what is up with everyone expecting lower prices, its crazy. lets just think a little big of how apple has operated over the years, do you see a price drop...ummm i dont.

iJon

8. Packetloss macrumors newbie

It's about time they release the G5 powerbook in January, or they will start to lose customers again......

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh yeah good point, cause the powerbooks are selling better than ever now :rolleyes:

iJon

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

G5 PowerBook in January? Nice try - keep dreaming. Try summer 2004 as more of a realistic prediction. :cool:

11. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Re: MWSF price drops?

IF they release new PowerBooks (which is a big if for mwsf), then the older discontinued models will for sure come down in price. As for how much, I would say about 20-25%.

Usually what Apple does is bring out faster processors for the top two models and drop the old middle-of-the-line to the bottom. So the next revision should see the 12" get the 1.25 ghz G4, the 15" a 1.42 ghz G4, and maybe a 1.5 ghz for the 17". Considering that the low-end 12" goes for $1600 and the 15" for $2000, expect the discontinued 15" to hit $1600-1700.

For reference, a refurb 867 mhz 12" combo goes for $1200 at Apple. It was $1800 when it was first introduced.