Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by makkii, Mar 13, 2002.

1. makkii macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2001
    Yokohama Japan
    So, the MW tokyo will be held in a week.
    But all I know is that Steve Jobs is coming to make a keynote.
    Does anyone know anything else?
    Predictions are welcome too.
  2. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    well... here are the rumors ive heard around these boards that seem most "interesting"

- someone came by who claimed to have access to an internal apple email. we didnt get to see this email but we were told that it told of two things: 1) two new models of an ipod. both 10gb and one for macs and one for pcs. these were said to come out before the end of march. 2) new monitors "in the works" with no info given but a codename.
    =new ipods

- i believe it was alpha here who told us that his internal apple sources said that apple had dumped its inventory of powerbooks on its employees increasing the numbers availble and dropping the prices. Alpha tells us this happens whenever a new model is about to come available.
    =new TiBooks

- rumors from other rumor sites have told us that the newest builds of 10.2 have suddenly become very stable and look ready to be released. this is interesting because all builds available to me have been amazingly unstable. we have heard no mention of 10.2 going to gold master (GM) but ThinkSecret told us in January that apple had extended the development of 10.2 because 10.1 had just come out, so maybe apple feels enough time has passed.

- rumors of a new "digital device" have been floating around many of them finding their way to the front page here at macrumors. the two most interesting are a settop device and a digiytal camera. the comments on these rumors here at macrumors have been largely negative.
    =new digital device

well i cant think of anymore rumors although im sure there are more. personally i think the new ipod one sounded fairly truthful so maybe new ipods as described above. Also it just feels like time for a new powerbook and i trust alpha, but many people have mentioned that it is too soon after the combo drive update so i dont know. i have been advicing friends who are going to buy a pbook to wait until after tokyo, so i hope for my friends that we see a new Pbook.

Ive actually been rather surprised at how little we seem to know at this point. I mean i think we all new the new imacs back in january were going to come out for sure. we knew for sure they would be flat screens. we didnt know what they would look like, and it was highly debated about whether a g4 would be included, but the impression i got from these boards was that it would be g3 (guess most of us got a big surprise). but it doesnt feel like we know anything for sure this time.

makkii are you going to this MacWorld? If you are be sure to find a computer and report back to us while on the scene.
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I hope to see 10.2! I also want a G5! And a New iPod! Also, a New TiBook, and iBook! Too bad apple wont have this, but I wish we could see 10.2 or a G5, and if god is listening, I hope we can have both. I will be getting a new computer soon, and a G5 would be a great investment!
  4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

I reached 400! *confetti flies*
    Hooray! Hooray!
  5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    congrats on 400 mac_user! :p

only 100 more and u get your avatar! ;)
  6. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)
    Obviously, I missed something. What's that codename? And what are the displays going to be like (specs)?
  7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    well it took some looking but here is the link to the thread i was talking about. it didnt get much attention at the time but i thought it sounded fairly legit.

and for those who are too lazy to click the link here is a quote:

I think you can see why i said no info given but a codename. all he said was new lcds with codename P63 but no specs were mentioned and no release date was mentioned.
  8. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
  9. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    Well, there are these things called threads. People write things in them...

I'm only kidding, but I couldn't resist.
  10. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2001

I am thinking new powerbooks: not sure that it is MW Tokyo, but soon. I am thinking: just processor upgrades and maybe a higher resolution, which would be nice.
    G4 667-733 and G4 800-850.

Let's hope and pray
  11. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2001
    From what I gather from the rumors, it seems as though MWT will be somewhat lame. I'm hoping apple has something up thier sleeve that will surprise us. :)
  12. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002

Yeah, we all thought it was gonna be lame.. But now that Damn Railheaddesigns site is making us all excited again.
  13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Please give us a new faster and cheaper Ti-Book! 900mhz! I would also love to see iPod with 10gb hd and price drops on 5gb models. Ya I want the same thing u do.
  14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning

my mac salesman told me to hold off ordering a G4 until after tokyo-he seems to think there is something new on the way....i'm very skeptical ( and so is every other rumor site) but i can dream can't i?
  15. mischief macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2001
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Basic Mac Buying wisdom:

NEVER buy in the 2 weeks before or the 2 weeks after a MacWorld.
  16. teabgs macrumors 68030

Jan 18, 2002
    behind you
    Re: Basic Mac Buying wisdom:

Those are some wise words to live buy....unless you like to ripped off and overpay for yesterday's best.:)
  17. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    London (or virtually here)
    Re: WAS LAME

The RailHead take is interesting. Implies Steve will use Tokyo to preview several hot, up-and-coming things, rather than introduce one new thing. If he does this, it might simply be a strategy to reassure jittery shareholders that there are great things in the works, but it would also give us things to dream and froth about...

Also would avoid (after the iMac fiasco) making people laugh when he says, "this amazing new thingy will be shipping in 3 to 4 weeks."
  18. sprescott1974 macrumors member

Jan 4, 2002
    Re: WAS LAME

Link please, i'd like to be excited too.
  19. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001