MX 1000 or BT mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ITASOR, Jul 29, 2005.

1. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Well, I never imagined myself having a bluetooth computer now, but with my new iBook on the way (and BT being standard), I'm figuring I mine as well take advantage of it!

I have wanted a Logitech MX 1000 for a long time, but the problem is that it's not BT. I LOVE the look, the feel, the rechargeable battery, etc. However, I would feel like I was wasting BT by getting a regular wireless mouse. Another downside is that I have to carry the charger.

I'm on the computer all day, so I don't really want a mouse that will waste batteries. Rechargeable is preferred.

I can't really find a nice BT mouse that I like. I was at BestBuy to try out the MX 1000 and that is the only one I really liked. I couldn't even find anything that was BT. All wireless with base station things.

So basically I'm asking, should I go ahead and get the MX 1000, and not use my iBooks bluetooth, or should I try and get a BT Mouse? Also, does anyone know of ANY BT mice that are like the MX 1000 (fit hand, 2 button/scroll wheel). Sorry Apple, after using my black pro mouse, I need something MX 1000 shaped for comfort. Obviously this means The Mouse BT won't work either.

Suggestions?

THANKS!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My roommates had a few problems with their X1000's and dust. We had a really dusty apartment and I was the only person who cleaned anything... The X1000 would just die on any surface with too much dust on it. I've talked to a few Apple BT mouse owners and they do love them. You won't have to carry the receiver and charging station around. The battery life on the Apple BT mice has also been greatly improved. If you don't want to go with Apple's trademark one button mouse, I suggest this.

http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml

Sadly they're out of stock. Having Bluetooth and using anything else does feel like a waste.

3. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I don't really like the shape of Apple's mouse or The Mouse BT (as stated in my post :)), so I'm looking for a comfort shaped mouse. I guess I'll have to go MX 1000, I seriously cannot find many BT mouse.....you would think there would be more out!

I'd really like to have one that charges in something, but uses BT for connection so that when traveling for the day I can leave the charger at home.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I haven't seen any BT mice like that. I've been looking for one for the past month. They're either bundled with a MS keyboard, tiny notebook mice, or over $80. I missed that BT Mouse line. :p

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know logitech has the MX 900 which is bluetooth, might want to look into that, would probably be a compromise between a regular mouse and the MX 1000

6. Mood macrumors regular

Mood

none of the new bluetooth mice are very accurate, last long, buggy, incompatible, and are too expensive.

i was looking into bluetooth mice, but nothing really fits the bill (50-60 dollars) for now.

i'd wait another 6-12 months for the technology to get better and cheaper.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The MSRP is $99.95. It also has a hub. *sobs*

8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I think that the MX-900 is the best choice. I am in the market for a Bluetooth mouse as well, and the MX900 seems to be the best pick.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Here is what I would do...

-Buy a USB hub
    -Hide it somewhere, if you don't want to look at a hub
    -Buy the MX1000, and put the dock out
    -Enjoy a lovely mouse experience

'Tis what I did... :D

10. ja0912 macrumors member

MX900!!!

I mean it's the same design as the mx1000, minus the laser... though I wouldn't use it's ugly bluetooth base for anything but charging.

BUT: The MX900 does not officially support OS X. To my knowledge that only means the extra buttons (button 4, 5 ,6 and 7) only play nice with Expose and Dashboard.

11. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

The MX 900 is recharble, but it's station is a BT thing as well? Arg. I'm just getting the MX 1000, this way I can use it with any computer, not just my BT iBook. :D

Thanks guys! I'll then get a better BT mouse in 6-12 months.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The only BT mouse really worthwhile your time is the Apple BT mouse. Just get the MX1000, and get over the non-BT thing. It really is a nice mouse. Didn't live up to my long-term test though. The thumb buttons are... well, really cheap. The paint went off after only two months, and it feels loose, like it's cheap, and the mouse's way too heavy for everyday use.

Not that it's gonna discourage you from getting one, I know many others who love theirs, so what do I know.

13. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

14. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm going to get the MX 1k....thanks everyone.

15. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Kind of in the same boat. Am buying a 14" iBook for my college freshman. Looking for a BT mouse too. FYI, I use a MX 1000 with my G5. I really like it especially the battery leds. Very comfortable and very programable even though I've left mine stock. I'm kind of looking at the MX 900 BT. I've heard that even though it does not officially support Panther/Tiger that it does work. As to the docking station (sorry, not really familiar with that) I thought I heard that you don't need the station if your computer/iBook has BT. Can't recall if the station doubles as a recharger. Arrrrgh, gonna have to do some research I guess. There was a small BT mouse that looked pretty nice. Think it was a BT 500.....scroll wheel, lft and right buttons AND an on/off switch. Have to look it up again. If you can live without BT, my wife has a BENQ 310 she uses w/ her iBook that is absolutely super for a laptop. Very nicely designed. Plug in the USB adapter (no cords) and go. Scroll wheel, lft and rt buttons and it sleeps too. I'll be watching this thread to see everyone's suggestions. Cheers

16. RooX macrumors newbie

why not get a smaller mouse for your laptop? if your carting it around no sense having to lug a fullsized mouse (which is also far more fragile). I recommend the Logitech V500 - aluminum, ipod like scroll wheel, 30 foot range, bulletproof and has better tracking than the mx500/510 supposedly (supposed to be 1000dpi)

cheers,
    C

17. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Ok, went to check out the V500. Kind of similar in principle and execution of the BenQ 310. Novel idea, no wheel just slide your finger to scroll. I like the BenQ 310 better though. It too has the usb "dongel" that is actually inside the mouse and then you pop it out and plug it in...this turns the mouse on and when you reinsert it turns it off. Pretty slick. Unfortunately, neither is BT. The new 14" iBook has BT so why even bother with a usb "dongel"? I asked my daughter if she'd prefer a "larger" mouse like the Logitech 900 or something smiliar in size to the BenQ. She wanted smaller. Sooooo....been thinking about the RadTech BT500. Check it out RadTech BT500
    Cheers