MX310 or Plain optical mouse for gaming?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bnemesis, Feb 22, 2004.

1. bnemesis macrumors regular

I am looking at two of logitech's optical mice for my preciouuuuuuusssssss new iBook.
    I saw a logitech optical (plain, two buttons+wheel) that was white and silver for $18. I have a blue one on my pc and it works well.

I also saw the MX310, which doesnt have too different of a shape and adds 3 more buttons.

Does the MX optical engine make that big of a difference in gaming? How about graphic design?

The extra buttons on the MX310 might be usefull. Anyone own both mice? Is the MX310 worth the extra $10?

2. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I just bought the MX310 for my new iBook. You might also want to look at www.macmice.com . There you'll find a mouse with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel that matches the iBook. It is pricey though.

I use the extra buttons on the MX310 for Expose and it's a really nice feature. I believe the logitech MX mice are the best on the market for gaming, but I could be wrong. I only use my mouse for gaming and its great for War Craft 3.

lasuther

3. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

I get along well with the MX 500. It made a huge difference over the Apple Pro Mouse, as well as older optical mice from Logitech. My roommate has a MX700 (wireless) and it also shows no lag and a good response. I haven't tried the 310 yet tho.

If I were you though, get a Kensington mouse instead. Their drivers are much more advanced, as you can set the clicking of 2 buttons simultaneously to perform a certain action. Also, you can set it so buttons do differen things depending on the foreground application. This is what kills my MX500, because I have 2 buttons set to back/fwd while they could be just "buttons" for games :(

Try each one for yourself and ask yourself how much the driver capabilities mean to you before you make a purchace. That new mouse in a box 2.0 rules.