MX900 (optical BT) or MX1000 (laser standard wireless) for new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edesignuk, Sep 28, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you think all? I have a stock 20" iMac on it's way soon, and I wanna get a new mouse (I hate apple mice).

I'm looking at either the MX900 (about £50) or the MX1000 (about £60).

The MX900 is bluetooth (though I don't have BT on my iMac - stock config - I *think* the mouse base station "emmits" the BT signal?) and optical. The MX1000 is normal wireless (not BT), but is <dr evil>LASER!!!!</dr evil>

So what do you think I should do?

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well, if you are left-handed, forget about the 1000, since it is molded with a comfort grip for righties (those bas%$%^s!). I didn't see anything about a left-handed version, but they might have one which I missed.

I personally like the 900 better (looks more comfortable to use), although I also am perfectly happy with my Apple BT mouse.

Can you tell that I am left-handed? :rolleyes:

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm right handed, so and bias logictech show towards us is ok by me :D :p

I just held the MX1000 and found it very comfortable BTW.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I use a mouse in my left hand maybe about 25% of the time, so it would be a problem for me.

Is the 1000 more comfortable for you than the 900? If so, given the amount of computing you do (if your posts here are any barometer), you've got your answer. :)

Either way, have fun with your iMac when you get it.

5. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

well, if you got bluetooth installed in the mac, get the mx 900. If you get the mx1000, which I assume is not bt, it will use up a USB slot for the RF reciever and you won't be benefiting from BT.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As I said, I'm getting a stock 20", so no BT. I don't have any USB devices other than a camera, so the use of a port doesn't bother me.

7. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Any comments regarding precision between the MX900 and MX1000? I have a MS BT mouse that I use with my powerbook, but have gone back to using a USB mouse due the lack of precision. I am wondering if the MX1000 (or MX900 for that matter) has any advantages in this regard.

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The MX 1000 is a laser mouse, Logitech claim it has 20x great precision over optical mice if that's of any use.

9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can't believe I've just blown £59.99 on a bloody mouse! (I just got the MX1000) :eek: Now all I need is the iMac to hook it up to...oh well, the PowerMac G4 will have to do for now :D

11. starcrossed macrumors regular

The MX1000 looks like an excellent mouse to me. It advantages over the MX900 is obviously the better laser for use on more surfaces, the tilt wheel technology previously only seen on Microsoft Mouse so you can scroll left and right, and the battery status lights on the side. If your going to need an external adapter to use either of the mouse, might as well go all for the MX1000. I myself want that mouse for my Powerbook, but am hesistant since I have bluetooth built-in and do not want a little reciever hanging off my Powerbook. I want the wow factor I would get with a bluetooth mouse. :cool:

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The way I see it, for both mice you have to have the desktop charger, so either way any BT wow factor would be kinda lost, know one would know if it was BT or regular wireless.

13. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

My brother just told me that the MX1000 is significantly heavier than a "normal" mouse which makes it worse for gaming. Can you confirm this?

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Later on I will do, still at work at the moment though with it sitting in the box next to me :(

If it is heavier, it doesn't matter to me though, since I don't game (duh, I am getting a mac with a 5200 ;) :D)

15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Thanks in advance.

16. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

The only USB you use is a camera? And you aren't going to have bluetooth built-in. Which means you have to use a wired keyboard (1 USB) and the mouse hub takes up (1 USB) that takes up another two slots. so there goes all your USB slots since iMac only has 3. One firewire for an iPod if you have one. And most people have a printer don't they? So you would have to hook it up in the firewire port with some kind of converter I guess, since aren't most printers USB? What if you need to hook up an external drive or USB stick, or anything else that requires USB connectivity.

I just ordered my 20" iMac with the bluetooth and airport built-in. I thought about just getting one at the store without the tooth and getting a little USB bluetooth adapter, but why eat up the extra slot. The extra wait is worth it. Especially for re-sell value down the line as more and more stuff is bluetooth enabled. (especially phones/pdas/next gen ipods maybe) Just seems like by avoiding a little $50 upgrade you are shooting yourself in the foot. It's not that expensive.

Just a thought..... :confused:

I'm just going to use tooth keyboard and mouse, and save myself the extra ports since I use a USB stick regularly and also have a camera/printer/ipod/isight etc.

Not trying to criticize, just making sure you don't misjudge your needs ( if you haven't ordered already). I have done that one too many times haha. :eek:

17. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

1 USB on iMac to keyboard
    1 USB on iMac to mouse charging base
    1 USB on iMac to M-Audio MobilePre USB (forgot about this earlier!)
    1 FireWire on iMac to iPod

Plug my USB lead for my camera in to one of the two available ports on the keyboard as an when I need to, which actually leaves both of them free most of the time.

Perfect fit!

As for the BT, well, I could get the iMac quicker not ordering a BTO from Apple. So seeing as I didn't need BT, I didn't bother with it, it wasn't a matter of the small cost.

edit: BTW, printer's networked, so it is not directly linked to the Mac.

18. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well...

It's very comfortable, feels great in your hand. The Logitech Control Center plugin in System Prefs works great and allows you to configure everything exactly how you want.

I suppose it does feel a little bit heavier if you actually pick it up, but why would you? It's a mouse, it sits on your desk...and this thing glides around beautifully, perfect for games I'd have thought.

They also say that one 3-4hr charge will last for approx 21 days! :eek: :cool:

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I heard the MX700's responsiveness is better than the MX900, so if you're considering them based on form, consider either the MX700 and the MX1000.

Well that's moot anyway, enjoy your MX1000. :)

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Mmm...well as soon as a BT version with LAZER comes out I think I will finally have my wireless mouse decision made ;)

MX1100 anyone? :p

21. snowdog macrumors member

"The MX1000 looks like an excellent mouse to me. It advantages over the MX900 is obviously the better laser for use on more surfaces,"

I'm not sure about this. Logitech certainly claims that the Laser operated mouse works better on different surfaces.
    But it's not true if you have a Steelpad 4S mouse mat.

Used to have a MX500, and it worked fine on that surface.
    The MX1000 has a very erratic behaviour on the Steelpad.
    First I used the mouse with the inbuilt mouse drivers, and then I downloaded the official ones from Logitech. Those were even worse.

I had a long conversation with the support at Logitech, and at the end they just said that the MX1000 isn't supported in OS X 10.3.5 :mad:
    "You'll have to keep an eye when a new driver is released"

22. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What's a steelpad? Mouse is working perfect for me.

23. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

The MX1000 is an excellent mouse. I heard it surprasses the previous best mouse ever: The Logitech MX510, which is wired. I heard that they gave this thing wireless that is faster than what USB can handle, which means zero communication problems. Unlike Bluetooth, which need an overhaul in my opinion.

Plus, because it uses a laser to illuminate the "image" of the surface (that is being captured by the sensor), instead of a LED, it works, much, much better than a normal optical mouse. Also, it (like Optical mice) isn't supposed to work on reflective or transparent surfaces like glass or mirrors, but I heard it still does.

Anyway, you made the right choice, and got the best mouse EVER. And by the way, The MX wireless mice have insane battery life. One review left it for two weeks of constant use without charging, and it only used 1/3 of the battery charge.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ive heard the MX1000 is lighter than the MX700. I have a 700 and while it's heavy, I still dont have any problems gaming with it.

25. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

You right it is lighter. I forgot the exact numbers but is a lighter.