MX900 Review

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ryan1524, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

well, this is not so much a review as a re-iteration of what people ahve said all over the forums.

i needed/wanted a Bluetooth mouse. after connecting my MX00 and have it working perfectly and just the way i want it with USB Overdrive, i just have to have a nice, full size mouse to complement my PB. i decided for the MX900. i was going to wait for the MacMice The Mouse BT that's supposed to come in September - if it's not delayed for the third time.

but after using the MX700, i can't live without the extra buttons, especially the Expose button i configured into one of the buttons. coincidentally, the button i use for Expose is what's known as App Switching button in windows. heheh. so it's perfect. i set the other two button next to the scroll wheel as the other two expose button - they were originally meant for faster scrolling (cruising), but since that doesn't work yet, i use them for Expose.

i'm a bit pissed at the fact that Logitech is so stubborn for not releasing a full driver for this mouse. it's perfect in every way except maybe size (to some people), and no Off Switch. but in Expose, ALL the buttons are recognized. if someone would just write a simple app to associate these other buttons to other apps other than expose, my problem is solved.

so yea, connecting the mouse is as easy as detecting it and asking it to pair. all done through the BT Setup Assistant. no 3rd party app used. all OS X. i paired it, it instantly work. the right/left click, the scroll, and all the buttons are assignable to Expose.

if i charge it, it shuts off, so connection is broken. when i take it out, it turns back on and instantly connects again and off i go. when i put the PB to sleep, BT is technically OFF, so connection is broken, and the mouse CANNOT wake up the computer. this is important because there is no off switch on the mouse. when you throw it in a bag, it will NOT accidentally bring your machine out of sleep. since the mouse can live up to 4 days without charge (assuming it has the same Batt life as my MX700), i find charging it every night is fine, even without the off switch, but it might be nicer to have it actually have a switch. if you replace the battery with higher capacity ones, it can last up to two weeks.

great mouse.

2. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

great write up. i was looking at a mx900 today. i loved the mx700 too.

question.. do you have to plug the USB into the PB?

3. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

you lucky bastard hehehe.........i have the Logitech MX510 (that's the same as the MX500 but in a different color, in this case it's Red and blach) this particular model HAS de MAC drivers and i cannot asign the Expose funtion to the buttons on the mouse, because the drivers already has an asigned funtion to each button......

i really wanted to asign the F9, F10 and F11 to some of the buttons that i don't really use.................but hey....you can't have it all! hehehe

4. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Nope. only used the cradle to charge.

i must warn you that the tracking on this mouse on OS X is pretty bad. i tried the MX700 on my powerbook and it was silky, so it's not OS X's problem. but this mouse, which should be jsut as smooth, it's a bit bumpy. barely noticeable, but after using the MX700 for so long, i can feel it, and it's getting on my nerves. it's not that bad, but it's there.

i'm trying to see i there's anything i can do to fix this. damn it, why can't Logitech just release a driver for OS X...how hard can it be to write a driver.

5. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

that was one of the reasons why i chose the cord mouse......i mean.....honestly......what do we need a Cordless mouse for?? (oh, and this is a man who's owned a cordless mouse for 3 years on my PC) but honestly....i've realized that it's not worth it.....IMO.......you have to buy Batteries.....sometimes the tracking isn't the best....etc. etc.......i'd rather have the cord (lace it up so it won't be a mess).........i got my powerbook a week ago and after thinking about it (and believe me, the bluetooth MX900 option and even the MX700 crossed my mind) i went for the cord one.......and i dont regret it AT ALL...........the cord doesn't bother me, i don''t need batteries or a recharge base, and it's not bumpy.

6. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i know this may sound unreasonable, but i like the idea of not having wires running here and there all the time. the less wires there are on my workspace the better. but you're right, it's not 'really' necessary.

and to add, the MX900's 'bumpiness' is not that bad, it's barely there, but i can feel it. or maybe it's just me. lol.

7. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

no i mean...don't worry dude......if it bothers you IT BOTHERS you....so get em out of your way......hehe and if you have an option ....why not take it right?........but in terms of "necessity" it really isn't.

but enjoy using your bluetooth! and hope the bumpyness goes away!

i want to use my bluetooth technology too.........but it'll be with a bluetooth cell phone.......... i think that's a goodie.............specially if you need to store and manage address book.

8. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

Joeytpg - you just gave me a back handed slap accross the face with that post. thank you. i was really considering about getting the mx900, but i figure, whats one cord going to matter when i have OTHER chords going around. plus a chorded mouse doesn't take up an outlet (something thats scarce around my desk). plus not using bluetooth would save up on battery life.

good review still, but i think i'm going to stick with chorded mice.

9. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

yea, i think i may return this mouse. after using the silky smooth MX700, such bumpiness, no matter how small, is unacceptable to me. i'll get a cheaper wired mouse for now, until The Mouse BT comes out maybe, or the MX900 gets proper drivers that can utilize the optics to the fullest.

i'm gonna give this another day or two and probly return it after.

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

hmmm, I was really considering upgrading from my MX700 to a MX900 because I want to get rid of all the cables. I guess if you carry it around a lot it does matter how many cables you have to plug in.
    So can anyone confirm the bumpiness? I don't want to buy a mouse and then need to return it.
    Thanks.