1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i need a new mouse, I would like a bluetooth so it will work with my powerbook. i looked at the MX900 and besides the fact that its expensive, it doesn't say it works with macs....so my next question is, how did you get it to work with your powerbook. Second i can understand the charging part of the cardle thing, but it works as a bluetooth moduale so why do i need that if i have it built into my powerbook. Is there any other bluetooth mouse that will work for my powerbook. I don't feel like wasting $80 or higher for something that won't work with my computer because i just spent a pretty penny on my BTO powerbook w/ accessories. For the hell of it i might just get a corded mouse and tie the extra wire up.

2. Nspace macrumors regular

I think I read that Mac was officially supported by logitech for the mouse but because bluetooth is a standard it will work. From what i know you would just use the cradle as a charger not a receiver, the internal bluetooth will do that.

So I think you should not have any problems, but wait for some other replies to confirm :D

There are other bluetooth mice, and one that I heard alot of people here are wiaiting for is this one

There is also this one from Radtech (Which i think is really ugly hehe)

I personally think the mx900 is the nicest, unfortunately it is expensive. I was in the same situation and found a 2 button + scrolls wheel optical mouse for 11 bucks usd and settled with that. Perhaps I look more closely at bluetooth when the prices come down.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

It works fine with a Powerbook - just turn on "discoverable" in your BT settings and it will find it. The module is for those who don't have BT built in. Shop around before you pay $80 for it - I paid $70 with shipping.

4. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

what about the extra buttons, how do you program those?

5. Nspace macrumors regular

Gamepad Companion from versiontracker.com should allow you to program the mouse buttons.

You can find it here

I haven't used it myself but I think this is what other people have been using. I wonder if expose functions can be mapped to mouse buttons?

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

The MacMice one looks pretty good...September though...

7. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I have the Mx900 its wonderful with my powerbook. i use the extra buttons for expose. the feel in my hand its great, some people claim its heavy. If you want a good mouse it can't be too light that it feels like you have nothing in your hand.

8. Nspace macrumors regular

I don't have an mx900 but out of curiosity, without any osx drivers from Logitech, how do you map the mouse buttons to operate expose? I be interested in setting up my mousewheel click to do something like that.

9. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I just assign them with the expose area in the system preferences buttons 3,4,5 have been set by me. If your machine has built-in bluetooth it will work without drivers or you can use the mouse.

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

as posted above, it recognizes your mouse and Expose will assign functions to any of the 8 buttons on the MX900. The only thing that doesn't work is programming "Back" and "Forward" etc. in browsers - ONLY expose functions work - right now.

11. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

So if there are no drivers for it, then how do u asign the buttons to use expose, does it magicly happen. ?!?!?
    Also on a side note, I was thinking of getting it in the package with the keyboard. How do i asign the buttons on the keyboard?

12. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

its nothing special you are using a mac aren't you...

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

you assign the expose buttons in...EXPOSE! you can use 3rd party software to configure the rest since logitech can't produce a stable os x driver. the cradle is used to charge the mouse, and your built in bluetooth would be used to work with it. as for the keyboard, i don't know how you would assign the buttons, but i have a 7-8 year old gateway keyboard that my parents use, and all the buttons just work (volume + or -, mail, home, even the windows key acts as the apple key, i find it pretty funny).

14. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

When do you think logitech will makes drivers for the MX900? Cause I really really like that mouse, but i would like to have fwd/back buttons for safari on the mouse that i would like to use again....

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Get the mouse already. My friend with a 17" PowerBook uses it. It matches your PB, it maps the expose features, and there is no delay or jumpiness. Its a great mouse and I'm going to get one when I get a PowerBook, wish I got BT with my iBook.

lasuther

16. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

I was under the impression that the MX900 had some problems w/ "skipping" etc; can you comment on this?

I'm very eager to get one, except for the obvious problems when gaming if one's mouse is subpar. I realize the ideal gaming mouse is wired, but I truly can't stand cord tension, it bugs me to no end.

-RS

17. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have a MX900 for sale if anyone is interested. Used a couple of times, in box with all inserts. I was going to post it on ebay this week. I only used it 3-4 times - I find that I have my Wacom tablet plugged in so much that having a BRT mouse isn't my cup of tea. If anyone is interested please PM me and make me an offer - I'll sell it cheap. Thanks.

18. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I use the MX900 with my Powerbook. It's really superb. I do a lot of "pixelshifting" with Photoshop and it really works well. I got it as an replacement for the MX700 and I did not notice any difference (the range is larger, but battery live stayed the same). If you connect the base station to your Mac, you can use USB Overdrive to program the buttons.

I got mine for €42 at Amazon, where I also sold the MX700 for €44.

Have fun with it!

19. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

As far as compatibility with the keyboard, the only EXTRA buttons/features that work are the volume knob at the top, then the scroll button along the left. An annoying problem about the keyboard is that the Command (Apple) button, isn't actually where it would be on say, your Powerbook keyboard. It's the Windows key, which just takes some time to get used to, but still kind of annoying.

The Logitech Bluetooth set is great (especially with the $30 rebate they have now) if you can truly benefit from Bluetooth. I like the idea of being a college student and not always having to plug and unplug a bunch of stuff before I want to leave. As of now, the only things I MUST have plugged in are my Klipsch GMX-A 2.1's, lol. Oh wait, my Airport Express came the other day, so I take that back... :D

20. wide macrumors 6502a

Microsoft has some good options. Check out Froogle.com or amazon.com, they will get it to you for a lot cheaper than the MSRP. Tiger Direct sells the MX900 for about 75 bucks, a little more than MacMice to-be-released BT mouse.

21. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

The only thing I've heard bad about the MX900 is the fact that it does not have an on/off switch, so if you travel with it (IMO, one of the reasons to have a BT mouse with a laptop), it stays-on in your bag unless you pull the batteries.

22. Aaon macrumors 6502

This may be a silly question, but can you use a wireless mouse on an airplane? I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

Aaron