My 1.6 G5...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Mar 28, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Can anyone explain to me why I read so much about how slow the 1.6 G5 is. I am student who uses Macromedia and Adobe apps as well as OS X apps. I have yet to have any feeling of slow. I did add 512mb of RAM.

Why would a dual be better for what I do? Based off of comments I have read in other posts concerning G5 1.6's.

Cheers,
    _bnkr

2. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Basically, it works like this... A processor handles tasks that the OS tells it needs to be done, queing them up so that they're executed in a certain order. With a single processor system, there's the one unit to do all the worrk, but in multiple-processor systems, it can work on more things at once.

This is partially alleviated in modern computers by a process called multithreading, where 'threads' of processing tasks are worked on in part, rotating through a slightly different queue so that all active processes are in flight at once. When you have a machine with more than one processor, it does this even more efficiently, because it can kick the threads to whichever processor is under the lowest load.

This is most useful in program that are MP-aware, and those are usual professional applications like Photoshop, Macromedia's apps, and so on. Also, the 1.6 uses lower-frequency RAM than the two higher models (PC2700 instead of PC3200), and has a lower bus speed. Overall, it is slower than the other towers, but it still screams compared to what i'm using, so don't worry too much. If you're a student and have a G5, you've got a lot of us beat. :D

3. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

can it be done to add a 3rd cpu to a dual processor computer already so u have 3 processors , and or do they sell more than dual processor computers?

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Having 512 RAM can sometimes not even be enough for the G5, the G5 performs better with more RAM, a gig can greatly speed things up MacAddict did tests where they added RAM to G5's and found that things speed up almost double for each gig of RAM they added.

5. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

No, you can't add a third processor, or even a second to a machine that isn't already a dualie. There's the simple matter of processor sockets and interconnects, not to mention the individual RAM banks... Also, Apple does sell computers with more than two processors, but they tend to gget nicknames like BigMac and break the LinPack Top Five. I don't think you've got the $5.5 million to make such a purchase, though, so the point is moot.

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

The 1.6 G5 is a fast Mac! I wish I had one. Maybe in July after the new models come out I can pick one up at an awesome price.

7. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Whilst this can't currently be done with a Mac many supercomputers work by taking processors available in the commercial market and running them in parrallel. The third most powerfull supercomp runs on G5's, check it out: http://www.top500.org/lists/2003/11/3/

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

you can be sure its faster than the fastest imac or powerbook. based on xbench scores its the 3rd fastest mac right now. it averages around 150 I would say. the dual 2ghz gets up over 200.

9. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I was trying not to confuse him by bringing in more detail than necessary, you know. However, any reference to Big Mac is welcome. :D