My 12" PB just came in!!!! What packaging!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dxp4acu, May 30, 2003.

1. dxp4acu macrumors regular

Wow!!! it just came in here at work. My colleague and I opened it and the surprising thing was not the computer...

...it was the packaging!!!! It was AMAZING!!!!

Seriously, buy a PB and see. It will knock you off your feet. It was sooo Apple. They have their own way of packaging that makes it look artistic and yet sercure, so you know your PB didn't shift in transit.

I can't wait to use it! I just think my boss wouldn't like me not working today.

Has anyone else seen this packaging though?? I wanted to clap for Apple. Great stuff!!!

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I find it amazing as well, i've kept mine for my iBook and iPod. PC packaging is not a good, its done so its just enough but with Apple everything is layered, you get the manuals first (hint RTFM first!) then the wonderful machine itself.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I have my iBook box hanging on a bathroom wall as art.
    I also found a tangerine shower curtain, which a stuck one of the white Apple stickers on.

I'm not one for styrene packaging, but Apples always looks so space age, almost organic in appearance.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

yeah... i've fully enjoyed opening two of my Mac toys: PB 12" and iPod. it never even crossed my mind to throw away either of the boxes; they are a keeper.

in fact, i was so excited about opening these things up, i took pictures of each layer of the packaging... (with a digital camera, i didn't have to worry about "spending" film.) enjoy your new machine! :)

5. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

The PowerBook box is the same way. If I hadn't had ordered a carrying case, I would have wanted to carry my PB around in it's box. It also had that nice new computer smell to it.

Those stickers threw me off though. I stuck one to a cd (24) carrying case. Though I don't know where I'm going to put the other one.

Note: Curse you, CrackedButter, and your infernal sig of DoooooM!!!

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I hear ya. When I opened the iBook box, I literally spent minutes just oohing and aahing on the layers. I think my wife thought I was nuts :D

7. RAMd®d macrumors newbie

How Geeky are we?

You've got to admit, all non-Mac owners, (and a few Mac'ers as well) would think this a totally Out There thread.

How many PC users would ever think to keep the packaging, except to have it ready to return.

My Cube packaging didn't seem out of the ordinary for Apple, and I'll have to check my 8OOMHz iB.

But the iPod box! Wow. I couldn't believe that somebody went to that extent to design what most people will toss, anyway!

Somebody holds a Black Belt in oragami. It's really a great touch, no doubt underappreciated.

I'll off the hardware as upgrades dictate, but I'll keep all the packaging and sell it on e-bay for my retirement.

8. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Shrug

I thought it was a lot of wasteful styrofoam, and that's a bad thing. I liked the lid to hold the manual at the top... "hey stop and look at this real quick"

9. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

10. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

All Apple Computers are this way, GREAT out of the box experiance.

11. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yeah I agree, Apple always does an awesome job on packaging.

12. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

hey, I switched on May 23rd too! haha

13. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

I, too, love all of Apple's packaging. For a very long time, I used to keep the iBook box in the trunk of my car (before I totaled that car), and kept all my liquor in the iBook box... good times :D

Arigato,
    Brook

14. evil macrumors 6502

was that done to hide the liquor or just because you liked the box?

15. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

PB Box

Has somebody got a picture? I am getting curious!

16. evil macrumors 6502

sorry, dont have any pics of my box that is safe and secure in the closet.
    i must admit when i bought my new 12 pbook about a month ago i was quite impressed with the packaging.
    this was the first time i bought any apple products new.

17. dxp4acu thread starter macrumors regular

I repacked it to show my fiancee (since I really got it for her). I will take a pic or two tonight.

Uh gross! I just thought about it... It's like I'm undressing my mac and taking pictures... I should be put in prison!

18. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

Both :D

19. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i agree. i was psyched at how nice the box is. i'm gonna take mine out for dinner and a movie tonight. the box is one hot piece of ass!

20. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

LOL :D

21. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Too bad the 23" Cinema Display box took up too much space, or else... Way better packaging than my Sony 18" LCD.

22. vniow macrumors G4

How dare you treat the box like an object for you to just stare and gawk at, it has feelings too!

23. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

The iPod packaging is amazing and so is the 12" powerbook. My wife, who is just converting, really was IMPRESSED with the design and craftmanship taken to deliever the product...Like someone else said, it's a great out of box experience...

24. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I wasn't that impressed by the packaging of my iBook - but then i guess my standards are pretty high having worked in a packaging design company!

When packaging's designed, the final product should be able to withstand a 2m drop without causing any damage, so that amount of styrofoam is need - harddrives are incredibly delicate things!

25. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

thats why apple is apple...

I remember the day that I bought my first 10Gb iPod...

I was crying as I opened the package while I was dividing that cube into two parts and see that lovely artistic undefinable thing called iPod..

I guess Apple is Apple because of these things....