My 15" PowerBook just got delivered!!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SteveMcQ, Nov 7, 2005.

1. SteveMcQ macrumors member

Wow!!!! I'm so excited. I'll be sure to post some impressions and pics of it in a little while here. Thanks again to everyone here that helped in making my decisions.

Unfortunately, I can't see the darn thing very well since I just had my eyes dialated. I've gotta be at least 3 feet from the screen so using it for the day's gonna be a bit akward. It's gonna be torturous not being able to check it out for another few hours.

Shipping was incredibly quick, though. I placed the order late Tuesday night and now it's here. I guess being in Indy (FedEx hub) finally has its perks.

Edit

Initial Impressions

There are no horizontal lines or flickering of the screen.

I thought the screen didn't close evenly around, but upon closer inspection, it all fits quite nicely.

Pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Impressions
    I'm not a first-time Mac user. I was actually introduced to it at school where they exclusively used strawberry-colored iMacs. We also have one of the newer iMacs in our kitchen that my parents use to pull up recipes or for when we have guests and they want to check their mail. Every other computer in the house is a PC though--from the one in the library to the one I use most often in my room. So I kind of knew what I was expecting. I also knew what I didn't want--the instability of a Windows platform and the aggravation it causes. Granted, the PC in my room is a self built, but I still don't think it warrants the usual random restarts I get given the money I used to build it.

So, ordering this was a no-brainer. I knew I wanted a PowerBook and it was a decision between the 15" and 17". Went with the former and opening it up out of the box, my initial thought was, "Damn, this thing is tiny." Was I just fooled by the setup in the Apple Store? I opened the screen, but I wasn't yet hit with any sort of awe. It still looked small.

Aesthetically, though, this thing has no peers in the laptop world. It's just damn sexy. I was grinning ear to ear taking it out of the foam wrapping. The finish on it is just so nice and smooth and the lines simple and elegant. Closed, it doesn't look at all like a laptop. There aren't that many doo-dads and doo-hickies here and there to let you know. Even the ports seem inobtrusive. So just looking at it lifeless, I was pretty satisfied.

Then I turned it on. "HOLY $#*$& F**#Y!!?*@". That's when it all hit me. I only got it when I had the thing beaming back at me in my own place. The screen just envelops you and you get this whole effect with it that I just can't describe. Then I rattle off on the keyboard during the startup sequence and I'm impressed even more. The keys have such a nice feel to them. There's no "clicking and clacking" associated with standalone keyboards and none of the flimsy feel on other laptop keyboards. It's just right.

The trackpad? I'm finding a bit slow to start then I got my first window with a scrollbar. Drag two fingers across and it scrolled. Neat-o. Then I turn off the lights. Hot damn, are my eyes deceiving me. The keyboard lights come on and it adjusts automatically. Right now, I have to say the illuminated keyboards are my favorite part of it. I usually like to have a light on while I'm typing, but I make sure to turn off all light sources so I can be enveloped in the pitch black with only the glow of the gorgeous screen and the keyboard.

Speaking of lights, I want a bright white, pulsating light in everything I own. It's mesmerizing.

The sleep function on this is wonderful. It's so quiet and instantaneous. And the white light....

The overall feel of it so far is just solid. The way the lid closes, the way it opens. It all feels right. I haven't even talked much about the software, but it's more a function of me not having anything to complain about and only having things to say that you've all heard before. It's simple on the onset, but you've got the options there if you want it. And it looks gorgeous on the screen. I mentioned the screen right?

This PowerBook is outstanding though. I'm not at all regretting it despite what may be coming in the near future. I'll be very happy with it for a long time to come.

The only problem I can see is that I don't have a case so far and I refuse to take it anywhere with me. I can't have her all scratched up so early in its lifespan. I was seriously thinking of getting a 12" iBook just to take around, but I don't think I can go back after seeing this beauty.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats. Apple portable computers rock!!!! :) Hope that you can use it (and see it) soon! :D

3. motherduce macrumors 6502

Be sure to let us know about the lines, flickering and any other issues (does the lid close evenly?). I'm thinking about ordering mine tonight, but want to be sure I won't get screwed and waster 2 G's.

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

it's not your eyes...it's the screen brightness compared to the marvelous 17". :p

jk.

5. Cali_Man macrumors member

Got myself a new one last week, loaded up with 2GB of ram, and the 7200 rmp drive. It's noticably faster than the 1.5 15", and after working on the new screen for a week now, I can't see myself being able to go back. It's amazing how well you can convince yourself what you have is perfect for your needs till you actually do get something better.

The fact that the boss paid for the new machine makes all the more special.

6. Fireburst macrumors member

Mine arrived today too (ordered on Thursday so hows that for speed!). I am over the moon with mine. It is pure class. I could only see faint lines if I moved right up close to the screen so I am very happy with mine :D

I just need to drop some extra crucial ram in it which I am about to order now.

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Your eyes are dialated?! Must've been pretty exciting for them to open that much :D

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So big question??

Change the desktop wallpaper to plain gray or blue and let us know are there lines on your screen? :eek:

9. SteveMcQ thread starter macrumors member

I've held off for nearly 12 hours taking the PB out of its box. Now it's just there behind me, just waiting for me to use it.

I'm reading through the manual first and read some guides earlier as well. What steps would you guys recommend when I first boot? I wanna make sure I use the battery correctly and whatnot, but I'm sure I'm missing a few steps aside from that and getting the software updates.

I should be able to use it comfortably in about four or five hours. I still can only clearly see the computer screen from either four feet away or 4 inches away, but I want to check on the screen for you guys.

Thanks for the help.

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Congrats!!! Don't you love new Computers from Apple. They have that Apple Computer smell and it's just wow! Anyways, plug in your PB and let it charge all the way up. Disconnect the power cord and use it/watch a dvd or that/ till it falls into deep sleep mode - it'll alert you that you are running on Reserver Battery Power blah blah blah. Once it does that you just have to wait 10 min then the computer will go to sleep itself. After it does, plug it back in and let it charge all the way up. Couple of tips:
    1. don't leave it plugged in all the time - plug it in when you are using it
    2. do a couple of recharge and discharges (deep sleep modes) this helped me gain the maximum battery performance from mine.
    3. You can put it to sleep and unplug it for the night, that's fine.
    4. Have fun with it
    5. Hug it, every day, and thank Apple... I mean God (who is Apple) I mean God who is God that you have the lovely, beautiful masterful, just best computer in the world.
    6. Buy a cloth the keep your PB clean.
    7. Buy a laptop bag to keep your PB in. I freak out if I have soda anywhere wher it can even just barely touch my iBook so yeah.
    8. If anyone asks why you got a PB, tell them, it works. Brag about it soooo much that they crave one.
    9. Eat a freshly picked Apple.

Ok so you don't have to do #9, but it was worth a shot.

CONGRATS!!!
    Once you install updates, repair permissions.

EDIT: IMPORTANT IF YOU DIDN'T PURCHASE APPLECARE, DO WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR, YOU WILL WANT IT.

11. SteveMcQ thread starter macrumors member

Just powered it up for the first time. There are no horizontal scan lines. I checked it on the blue and gray background and my nose is only 4 inches from the screen since I still can't see (Being that close to the screen though did give me a good aroma of new Apple smell). I can't make out any lines either from normal viewing distance. I'll put a few hours into it and post impressions/pics later.

Thanks for the tips as well.

Regarding AppleCare: There's nothing else I have to do on my end right? I picked it up in the same order as the laptop. It was under "Auto-Enroll" so I'm hoping there isn't a verification process I have to perform aside from the initial setup I did.

12. Melkor macrumors 6502

I ordered my 15" PB on the 2nd of November and it wont be here till the 16th :mad:

Lucky fecker :p

13. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I love the Apple smell, I find myself occasionally smelling my ibooks keyboard for any leftover traces of thet *Apple Smell*. I dont want to open the box, Im saving that for later :D :D :D

14. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I had to register with Apple (which I already was) and register the AppleCare serial. Where you are registered with Apple (you did buy it from the Apple Store right?) I would just check and make sure that its been activated.

15. SteveMcQ thread starter macrumors member

First post from my PowerBook. Just went through all the system preferences options. Still no signs of the horizontal scan lines.

Melkor--I have no idea how mine got out so quick. I ordered mine the day before you did--the evening of the 1st. Being in the FedEx hub of Indy doesn't hurt either I guess.:)

16. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Congratulations. I love opening Apple's packaging :D

17. SteveMcQ thread starter macrumors member

I know. I don't remember the packaging being this striking with our iMac though. When I pulled it out of the protective box, I immediately considered just lugging the laptop around in the Apple box. The matte black finish with the minimalist look is just so nice. Then you pop it open and BAM! Stunning piece of technology.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So just to re-cap on the forums thats about 3 Good Laptops - Versus 20-30 Dud screen ones. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Either 1) Apple have a serious problem :confused: 2) The scale of the problem is small and restricted to nearly all the laptop owner who use Macrumors Forums :rolleyes:

Personally I think 1 is more likely. If you have a good laptop please post we need to know the true scale of this problem. I'm dreading recieving my new powerbook with fear of what I might find (and I don't mean a small ethinc refuge family smuggling themselves in; crammed in the bottom of the box :D )

19. revisionA macrumors 6502

I cant tell at all in normal operation. I think its a moire effect or something.

Havent really noticed it since the first day I read that horiz line post... so I think its mass hallucination. If you look close enough you can see the pixels too.

$

20. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Had to add to the thread...

I'm typing on my brand new spankin' 15" Powerbook I picked up today. I love it! It's just a stock and I'm sure it's going to fly (even more?) when I get my extra GB of RAM.. but in anycase, this thing is amazing! I love it!

And yes, the horizontal lines are here. BUT, in order to see them, I just had to set my background colour to a single tone. There is no way that these lines will bother me day to day. However, if apple does fix it, then I'll go in.. why not? :p

Cheers,

lieb39

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I just recently started to use my Powerbook a lot more than my iMac, I upgraded it from 512MB to 1.25GB and the difference is immense. Upgrade from stock as soon as you can to really get the best of it.

22. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Heya. :)

I got my powerbook yesterday also. ;)

And, I've already added it to my signature. hehehheheh

23. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Yes sir! Haha. I'm going to get it as soon as I can, along with a MIDI device so that my friend can hook up his device and Garageband.. Woo! :)

Cheers,

lieb39

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I ordered 1gig piece for 15" yesterday from Crucial and it arrived today via UPS.. (Less than 24 Hours)... Now if only my 15" was here as well :( Come on Apple, how long does it take to fit a 100Gig HD???? :rolleyes:

25. mikeSkull macrumors newbie

I know how u feel, ordered my Powerbook on the 3rd, took the option of 100Gb HD, it shipped on the 5th and is STILL in China...!!!:eek: