My 17" is very portable!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Solafaa, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Welli got a 17" PB 2 months ago, i am very happy with it. The main problem i had with how portable it will be when i travel, i am on my vacation with some friends and i find it very portable. I read many post on how a small laptop is more portable and is easyer to carry around yet i have had no problem with any of that.

All i am trying to say is that the 17" is very portable, and watching DVD's on the huge screen is an extra +. I watched a DVD on the plane trip that i ripped and it was really great :D

Any question? i would be glad to answer.

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

A smaller laptop IS more portable, and IS easier to carry around.

Yeah, why did you post this here?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Carrying round a 17" PB would drive me up the wall, they are freakin' HUGE. Ggreat if you want a desktop replacement that you can move from desk to desk, room to room if you want. But hardly the perfect portable.

4. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I have not noticed that. I used to have a 14" iBook and i dont see much diffrence in them. My friend has a 12" PB, i take my laptop everyware he gose with his and have not had more or less trouble moving around with an extra 5". The up side is its more powerfull, larger screen size is always a plus and i play games on it :D

I read many posts here on how more portable smaller modles are and i just wanted to point out that is not the case with me.

P.s thats why i got a 14" iBook then sold it, because of many people saying that 17" is hard to carry around.

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Okay, just wondering. You could go write a review in the hardware section. But still, the 17'' is huge, no matter if it's easy to carry around or not.

6. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I agree, it is huge, i am using it right now and i can say of a fact that i can rest 2 hands on it and have a a drink on it without spilling it. Yet when travling or moving from room to room or short distances it feels like any other laptop just a bit bigger witch dose NOT effect me at all.

7. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

The G5 PowerMac is a great desktop with zero portable aspects. The 17'' PB makes a great desktop that has some portable aspects, but that's where I draw the lines.

8. PeterBonnar macrumors member

I have a friend who has owned both and says the 17 inch was just silly.

He wonders why i don't have one since i do lots of pro video stuff, but 17 inch! We agreed we would both prefer a 12 inch with the resolution of the 17inch..... a Dual G5 processors and dual optical drives....

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

but as soon as the person in front of you leans their seat back, you are screwed (unless you are in first class). The only way you can even marginally see the screen (if you are 6' like me) is to push the palmrest into your gut and push back your own seat.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i used to work out a lot and nothing seemed that heavy to me then

but now the muscles have diminished and i hate the idea of carrying any laptop around all day if it's more than 5 pounds...my rev a ibook is 6.5 lbs with adapter, and my pc laptop is a pound more than that...it just feels too heavy

11. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I find the 17" very portable. I carry around lots of other stuff in my laptop case too. I'm 6' tall and sitting in a plane watching movies on the PB presented me with no problems, and I was not in first class. Of course, the 12 & 15" 's are more portable, but there is no issue here with the 17"....plus I get a lot more screen.

12. andym172 macrumors 6502

I carry my 17" PB whenever I go away from home. There's no getting away from the fact that it is heavy. Once or twice I've nearly been over the limit for hand luggage when travelling by plane.

It's not really a problem though, and I do love mine :) I have access to a 15" 1.25 GHz PB but always choose to use the 17. I may sell it soon though - a dual 2.5 G5 is on its way :D

13. Seanb23 macrumors member

Another plus for the 17"...the larger case seems to handle any heat issues pretty well. Perhaps this will help if Apple decides to fit a modern processor into it sometime next year...meaning, the 17" will definitely remain the flagship of the laptop line for this very reason.

I, too, find it to be pretty darn lightweight, and I'm not just talking kilograms...

14. OziMac macrumors 6502

Look, the 17" may be portable in the sense that it is possible to carry it around and to use away from your desk - no one's disputing that... but let's not get carried away. There is still a definite increase in convenience and portability with the 15" and far more so for the 12".

If the 17" is very portable, the 15" is very very portable and the 12" is very very very very portable. :)

15. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

yeah and i am getting the 12" for that very reason..its the most portable. thats what a laptop is for :D

besides soon i will get my nice dual g5 powermac and it will be the powerhouse and the laptop will more than suffice for on the road.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, I agree with the people who say the 17" is portable.

Nobody is saying that it's as portable as the 12", but every time someone comes here and asks if its portable, everyone jumps up and tells them that it's a monster. Hey, its not a 15", 8lb Dell. Even at 17", its 6.7 lbs, if I remember correctly. Lots of regular people carry 15" laptops at that weight with no worries.

All that was said is that it's not THAT un-portable. Its not as portable as my 12" PB......hardly, but the difference between the 15" and 17" isn't too much, and the extra screen real estate may be worth it for the weight difference, and yet people all say that the 15" is what people should get. The weight isn't that bad. Obviously I wasn't used to carrying something bigger than a 12", but it wasn't that bad, and wasn't that much worse than having to carrying a 15".

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep, as long as you have a decent bag - STM Large Loop Backpack works fine for me - then its no real difference for the half kilo and 2-3 inches from the 15.

18. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

as much as someone like me criticizes the weight of a 17 inch powerbook, it would sure be nice to have one...if i had the money, i would buy yours if you had a good deal on it

i would definitely make a 17 inch laptop a desktop replacement and keep the thing home and maybe move it from room to room at most

if i go out and need the portability, i will still opt for smaller models...there's a threshold for many around 4-5 lbs which is an ideal weight limit for carrying around all day long...each extra pound adds misery to most people's shoulders or backs...that is unless you are very strong ;)

20. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

I run through airports every other week with my 17" PowerBook. It has been to Mexico, Japan and Spain with me and I have not had any problems taking it with me. And as far as the person dropping their seat back in front of me. It is a laptop and thus I have it on my lap. Besides most of the time I fly into Phoenix the air turbulence is so bad I don't trust that $5 fold out tray with my laptop.

Sure it is a big laptop and that is why I bought it. I think the biggest problem for people is what are they going to carry the 17" PowerBook in and I say get a Brenthaven backpack. I looked at the executive bag and that thing screams laptop. I drop my 17" PowerBook in the Brenthaven sleeve and 2 Corporate Finance books in the main compartment and I am on my way.

Every one has a personal preference, 12" PB, 15" PB or the 17" PB. I say if you are on the wire trying to decide which you should get, look at how you use the laptop. I use mine for my EMBA, business, presentation, design work as well as entertainment.

If the 17" PowerBook works for you, go for it.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i would think those usually conservative mba's would not like the fact that you are using a computer from a company run by an obvious ultra liberal like steve jobs ;)

22. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

You should have seen the Intel guys' faces when I pulled it out of my bag. One of guys in class is the very same engineer who made the M processor for Intel. He is always happy to say how much Apple sux. However, later that day after playing with it he went out and bought his wife an iBook.

There are only a couple of us in the class who use Apples and we are the rebels of the class. Luckily Thunderbird Garvin School of International Management is not as conservative as most EMBA programs.

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i was in your situation, we all used pencil and paper...i just figured the apple logo would turn a few mba's sour ;)

24. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

a drink on it too??? the icupholder? none the less that is dangerous for the health of your new computer.

25. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I am very good with my hands :D