My 1GHz Tibook (combo) is in the house

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by shadowfax, Nov 17, 2002.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

OMG this is completely unfair

unfair

unfair

i got my tibook ordered the day after they were announced... specs below. and so i had been seeing the order status monitor images from the apple website posted up on macNN forums... and i got to thinking... so i checked the forwarded order confirmation from the person that got it for me, and sure enough... mine shipped on the 13th of november, and came to my doorstep in austin at 9:12 AM... and my mom signed for it. the catch is that my birthday is not till 20 November... oh this is going to be the most thorough torture of my life this week. i snuck into the 'rents room and checked out the *outer* box... smaller than i was thinking, but about the right weight. GOSH i am pepped. anyways, probably not worth a thread, but i just thought some might like to know that another person got theirs shipped all the way from taiwan already.

well, i'm off to brave the waters of impatience. i have it in my house, dammit, and i am still green with jealousy for everyone else. now to tell off those bastards at compUSA... [aristocratic voice] "oh, you are getting them in 2 weeks? min came in a week after i ordered, none of your plebeian riffraff to hold me back, muahaha" [/aristocratic voice]

yes, i dislike those disinterested teenage employees that half-heartedly try to sell me macs and know literally nothing about them.

anyways, cya guys around.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad you got it and will enjoy it in your near future. :)

If you don't like it, I can send you my address. <ducks>

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well, Dr. Impatience... :D

Even if I accidently saw the package a few days away I would have turned my face in the other direction. Besides, I've had max/speed 56K modems in the house for about a decade, so I have grown to patience. <joins bousozoku>

<peaks> I'm sure you won't regret this, Shadow! <hides again>

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

dang, you macrumors people are hilarious lol.

i can wait, i guess. it's just so funny they sent me the tracking number and expected me not to look--not to find out. this has been the one thing on my mind since before they came out... you can imagine, can't you, considering i don't even have a mac?
    that's got to make it a lot worse, than those folks upgrading from 500s, 667s, and even 800s. not to mention powermac owners or just plain "mac owners..." i am hating my PC more every day, even though its uptime is a fairly impressive 15 days right now. anyways, peace out folks, i'll try to post my own pics, though i'm far too lazy to bechmark it.

5. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

PS i have had DSL since 1999.... sorry man, it doesn't foster the remotest semblance of patience.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oh btw, did you know that you were losing your DSL in order to get the PowerBook? :D

<uploads Shadowfax a blindfold which will disintegrate on his b-day>

7. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

what? lol. or not. i am getting a wireless router router for my Bday too... so it should work pretty nice. also, i have $#@&ed up DSL. it is always on whether i log on or not. my grandpa has SWbell DSL too, and he has to actually log on. mine is just "online" as soon as i turn on the modem. i dunno why, but all my computers have always just "connected" by getting DHCPed off my router... and the router is not configured to log onto the DSL with a password, it just detects the IP, gateway, etc. so i dunno what's with that. anybody with DSL insight is welcome to explain.

also, on another note, my current router is a linksys that says it supports VPN, and it always used to, but like 2 months ago my dad stopped being able to log on to the Dell VPN for no apparent reason... no, i didn't mess with any configurations... anybody know anything about that? way offf topic, of course, but yeah...

8. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

I HATE YOU!
    I had the first 1GHz PowerBook ordered in Australia and I still have no ETA

ggggrrrrrrr

BTW, I am happy for you... too bad your b'day is not NOW

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

lucky sonofa .... Why cant i get a few grand and get me one of those things. I WANT ONE. They are great value for money and I WANT ONE.

have a good one (bday that is)

ps. did i mention I WANT ONE

10. geetoo macrumors newbie

UK/Ireland shipping dates and order tracking

I'm glad you've got your Powerbook.

I'm waiting for mine. I phoned the Apple Store this afternoon and they can't say when the Superdrived Powerbooks are coming.

They ship from Taiwan to Luxembourg, but if they're not in Luxembourg before the 23rd then they won't ship before Christmas.

The order tracking thing is broken on the UK/Ireland store and it doesn't look like they're going to fix it anytime soon but they did say that if people phone the order line 0800 039 10 10 ( from UK) they'll track it for you.

As a switcher, I'm not wholly impressed with the wait between announcements of new products and the products being available, at least in the UK - but I know it'll be worth the wait. (That is unless the rumoured redesign/new chips come in January after a 1 1/2 month wait for my Ghz Superdrive Powerbook)

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

That's the way broadband should work (at least that's how my cable modem works). The DSL (or cable modem) router automatically gets an IP address via DHCP. Then you can hook up your own router to share that IP among your computers. No login needed, though of course some providers still require this.

In terms of the VPN, maybe your dad can try using a software VPN client instead of relying on the router. For example, I use the Cisco VPN Client 3.7 for Mac OS X to connect to my work VPN. It works really well - once it's set up all I have to do is open the VPN Client, click Connect, and it's like I'm sitting at work. Then I can just as easily Disconnect and my network connection goes back to normal. Hope this helps!

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Shadowfax,

Dang your parents must be loaded. The only thing I ever used to get for my birthday was maybe a new shirt, a pair of pants, or a boombox. I love my parents, but guess they must have been loosers not to afford to buy me stuff like that. I am older now though so I don't really even think about it anymore, it just amazes me what some kids get for their birthdays and Christmas anymore...

13. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: My 1GHz Tibook (combo) is in the house

I dont want to put a downer on things, but, you may want to check it works fine before your birthday. Imagine the nightmare situation where it is faulty + you only have a set number of days to return it to Apple (not sure what that is). I know its underguarantee as well.

14. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: My 1GHz Tibook (combo) is in the house

thanks for the heads up, but that wouldn't fly with the 'rents at all. it's only a 5 day wait from when it arrived. that would be mondo ass of apple to say "too late." they have the 1 year warranty and 90 days of free calls. didn't get apple care up front, i thought i would wait till this time next year.

15. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

thanks for the info... my dad uses some dell-provided VPN software. it works if he unplugs the router and goes straight through the DSL modem, but not if he goes through the router. so, who knows. it's not a big deal for him, and certainly not a big deal for me. my dad is one of those guys who reluctantly carries a pager. he hates the whole idea of being electronically accessible 24/7. cell phone? ha! it's a funny home here. anyways, i'll just cross my fingers and hope the netgear wireless router i got works a little better. he has a wireless card on his laptop too, so i think we'll really enjoy it... provided this whole "techno-ethnically diverse" situation pans out. my TiBook is going to be a mac among PCs on the LAN, 3 Pcs if you count my dad's woprk computer. it SHOULD work, if other people's testimonies are any gauge. anyway, thanks anyways. i'll just hope for the best, and if that isn't the case, perhaps then i will suggest some software for him. does that client you mentioned have a PC version?

16. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

nah, my parents are pretty tight with presents. usually no more than 100$ for my Bday, and this year, my 18th, is not any different. i don't even have a car lol. i have a very well-off friend of the family who wanted to make my 18th/graduation something special, and told me to pick out a nice laptop about 8 months ago, so i did my research, which ultimately led to my mac conversion because of the powerbook, and of course OS X--my grandfather is a redhat junkie, so the linux side kind of fits.

i'll admit it's grandiose, but it's not because of my family. my dad's just a decently paid program manager... no 6 digits here. sorry.

17. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: Re: My 1GHz Tibook (combo) is in the house

To put in for DOA = 10 days but warranty should still cover it. DOA is just good because a new machine is sent straight out instead of waiting for confirmation of problem ect.

18. MacDuff macrumors regular

I'm in the same Boat Shadow

Shadow,
    I feel your pain/blessing. I ordered the Tibook 1 Ghz last week but I'm not recieving it until Christmas morning! It will be a tough long time between now and then, but atleast I know that others like you are in the same boat. It will be grand to pretend that Santa has brought it in his sleigh though.

Happy trails!:D

19. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Re: My 1GHz Tibook (combo) is in the house

thanks for the info, that's perfect. it came the 15th, and i will check it the 20th, so that gives me plenty of leeway.

20. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Re: UK/Ireland shipping dates and order tracking

Dude, you have to give Apple a break on this one, the SuperDrives (slot-load) are SO new that they can not get hold of enough of them. The PowerBooks themselves are in very high stock and you can get a Combo Drive 1GHz CTO machine in the normal one week CTO wait. As far as I know, Apple do not even make the SuperDrives themselves so they have to wait for their supplier (is that Pioneer?) to get them the stock.

21. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Mmm. I too have just recieved a TiBook 1 GHz, 60 gigs, 1 gig ram, combo. The thing's f*ckin fast.

(voice of agony) Alas, I shall never toch it again after I'm done with the installs, for my dad will use it. (end voice of agony)

Still, his old 500 MHz Pismo is mine for the taking now :D :D :D :D :D :D

On a side note, my B-Day is this saturday. Somehow I convinced my old man to get an additional 256 PC2100 ram and Jedi Outcast for mac.

Happy B-Day to the both of us *raises pop can*

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well my parents, on the other hand, are threatening to give my
    computer away, and are starting to make me pay them $20 for
    each homework assignment I don't turn in...

:::crawls to a corner to cry:::

23. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

My sympathies. I know how that feels in a way. Before I even owned my first Mac LC, I had an Atari XE computer / cartridge gaming console. They put it in a charity box. :*(

How'd these threats come to happen?

(Do ur HW in class so u have the night free)

24. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: I'm in the same Boat Shadow

good to know others are in the same boat... is it in your house yet? that just exacerbates it to no end. it's tolerable if you think it is on its way or being assembled, but when it's here, and you know it's just yards away, in a closet... you just want to open it up and turn it on so bad!

25. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol, even in IB i manage to get most of my HW done each night.... even though i spend at least half the night browsing the net and chatting. cruel world though. come, o birthday!