MY 1st MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macpro06, Aug 22, 2006.

1. macpro06 macrumors newbie

I been PC ever since and now i have switched over and thought why not go all out and buy the new mac pro i wont recieve it for 3 weeks AHHH! anyways i had a few questions what graphics card is the best but not too expensive and does the mac pro support other types of hard drives other than the standard 7200rpm and 8mb anyways i hope i liked the transition!!!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looks as though the nVidia GeForce 7300 GT is the only reasonably-priced card. The other two cost a lot more.

I'm sure that the Mac Pro will support whatever SATA drives you want to use as long as they're 3.5 inch drives, but Apple only sells the speed you've mentioned.

3. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hehe. When I switched over 4 years ago, I did the same. Didnt know a god damn thing about Macs but my buddy was like "dude their badass"

So i went online and ordered me a PowerMac G5 :D Best Damn Thing I ever did

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hehe. I've lent my Power Mac to a friend, he loves it, "my next computer *must* be a Mac now!" :D

In a way, I've enslaved him, "go do this or I'm taking my Mac back" :p

5. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

LOL, I did exactly the same thing, and the same happened as with you, I believe the mac experience is enough to make a person switch... unfortunately that experience isnt as easy to come by.

Macpro06, congrats on the new mac! A few of the older G5 powermacs couldnt support certain HDD's, but the mac pros use intel chipsets and I doubt you will have any issues.

6. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Was that one sentence or two?:confused: Just kidding. I have no help to offer, but congratulations on your new Mac Pro! Hope you like it.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

goddamn, how come it is that a lot of us born-and-bred Macheads have a low- to mid-range machine, and the switchers go out and get the Pro machines as soon as they come out. :p

I read an article here about a switcher whos first mac was a 17" MBP with all the bells and whistles possible, and I worked my ass off to get a baseline MacBook with one and a bit gig of RAM.

You won't like it at all. In a few weeks, you will be posting on these forums, going on about how much you LOVE it!

By the way, what configs did you get? I swear ill cry if you have the 3.0GHz with more than 4GB RAM and a 30" Apple Cinema Display.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congratulations on the purchase of your first Mac macpro06! I know that the price of the X1900 XT may seem a bit high, but I think that it's performance is well worth the cost. :)

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

My thoughts exactly :-\ Bah!

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Nice choice!

I'd go for the ATI X1900 if you can swing it, but ordering BTO from Apple
    with that card will delay your order for as much as 5 weeks.

Datamem.com seems to have the best prices on Apple Guaranteed FB ECC RAM DIMMS.

To get the most out of your system, you'll want at least 2 GB RAM and preferrably
    4 GB so start saving up.

11. godbout macrumors regular

I would go for the x1900xt and NOT the 7300GT. I can't beleive that apple even put the 7300GT as an option on the macpro. I could see them putting one in the Mini over integrated graphics... even in the iMac I would have thought that it would be underpowered, but putting it in the MacPro almost seems like a cruel joke :)

12. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, shouldn't switchers have to work their way up? Start with a used iBook or a mini, etc. :D

A MP is probably overkill, but I guess it depends upon what you're doing with it. That also influences your choice of a video card too.

Then again your alias is Macpro06 so you can't really have a three year old iMac G4 wrapped in duct tape.

13. macpro06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!!

Yeah its true i don't know much about Macs but i do a lot of editing and know a lot of programs, funny how long it took me to see the "light" but anyways my questions about the hard drives is because i would love to have a couple of 300GB at 10,000 rpm and 16Mb Cache for video, i just didn't know if you can upgrade as simple as PCs! or maybe ill find out that the Mac Pro will already be overload??? man the ship date is not till Sept.16 DAMN! Mac Pro, 2.66, 2GB, 500 GB, and 23" screen and standard card becuase i wanted to wait to see what the best choice is for a price range around $400?

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You picked a nice system, but if you are purchasing RAM from Apple, you're paying too much.

Apple uses Samsung RAM which you can buy from macsales.com
    They list their 2 GB kit @ $549.00 ouch!

You MUST buy your RAM in matched pairs.

Datamem.com is listing lifetime warranty,
    2 GB kits Apple guaranteed ( 2X 1GB ) for $378.00
    http://www.datamem.com/memory_select_frame.asp_Q_C_E_1365-MP2.66

2GB Kit (2 x 1GB) FB DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) 128x72 CL5 1.8v 240 Pin ECC FBDIMM DM61 666 x 2 $378.00