My 20 day old Macbook has a crashed Harddisk!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sundeep, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Sundeep macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a black Macbook. I have hardly used the machine and all of a sudden I see that the harddisk is dead. I accidently happened to come across this thread and now i am freaked out cos I have asked Apple to send me a box so that they can replace my harddisk at their facility.

I bought the macbook from Macmall and the MacMall customer service does not work on weekends (only the sales department works..understand the attitude)...I spoke to apple guys and I told them that I want to return this machine but they say that I cant do so as I have bought it from MacMall and so I have to work it out with them. I just finished reading the website of MacMall and they say that they do not have a return policy on apple products...so this is a well devised catch 22 situation. I need your advice guys.

What do you guys suggest I do?

2. mrbill macrumors newbie

Let Apple replace the hard disk; as long as there's not a weekend in the way, you should have the machine back two days after you send it in (see my post above). Apple doesn't make the hard drives; blame Seagate for this "failure of a moving part" if you want.

As for MacMall, I've never heard anything good about their customer service - and they have a long tradition of "if you have problems, contact the manufacturer, not us".

3. Sundeep thread starter macrumors newbie

But what about the horror stories of scrates and damages while replacing and what if they swap my harddrive to another person and vice versa.

4. mrbill macrumors newbie

That's a one-in-a-million screwup by someone *at CompUSA*. When you send your machine directly to Apple you don't have to worry about it.

5. gameguy3001 macrumors member

when apple gets you hard drive, they will erase the hard drive and then destroy it if it cannot be refurbished

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

This may be an opportunity for a bigger hard drive too, if you've wanted one. Maybe for a few xtra bucks Apple will install a larger, or perhaps due to your problem, they may...don't know till you ask!

7. kufel macrumors newbie

you cna ask all you want, apple policy is "like for like" - no upgrades during repair unfortunately :(

the good news, HD replacements on macbooks are one of the fastest repairs ever!