My 20" iMac arrives this Thursday!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPlm, Dec 10, 2006.

1. iPlm macrumors regular

Hello!

I wanted to share my enthusiasm with fellow mac people, this Thursday i'll have my first ever mac! After many years wanting to leave the dumb windows and have my own mac, this day is finally coming! It's my birthday today and I am 21years o-o-o-old now, and as a present my family bought a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo for me! I'll repay them some day ;) I'm filled with enthusiasm right now and I've kinda infected my friends and everyone around me with it:D

Since this will be my first Mac (omg finally!) and from now I'm starting to think what software to install, like as I've read in a thread - VLC/Mplayer OSX and codecs, (I was wondering if front row will play other than mov files, but I guess for that I could just search the forum)... What little apps do you guys use? I've read that many people use Adium for IM, and since I use ICQ in XP I was wondering if it's nice. What little apps do you use? Please give me some suggestions! I just can't wait till Thursday...

I was also curious about something else. I have a Wacom Graphire 3 A6 tablet and since the iMac's display is widescreen how does the tablet size mapping work since it's 4:3 aspect ratio, I'd be able to use it only in a part of the screen or what? I guess it would be like that or there'll be distortion when I'm painting

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Congrats on your purchase! I am sure you will enjoy your Mac. Post your experiences when you get it.

3. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

4. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Nice purchase. Lots of iMac being sell this day. I'm sure you will love the Mac environment more then you did with your old PC. Have fun with your new toys.

5. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Well about time for me to switch! I hadn't really played with a 20" iMac, only with 24" and 17" (two weeks ago with a 2x3GHz Mac Pro, 4gigs ram and 30" Cinema Display!), and i hadn't had the chance to hear the its speakers if they have clear sound. I didn't like the sound of the 17" Powerbook very much, so i was wondering if it is alike :p however i may get JBL Creatures 2 or something like that in some time. When it comes in three days(!!) i'll post my experiences as a Mac newbie :p

I'm gonna need guides for helpful things like repairing permissions, so if anyone could give instructions how to take good care of OSX it would be great! :)

6. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

My best reccomendation is use mail! It is a great app, and all too often I see new mac users not taking advantage of it. Try it, you'll love it!

7. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice! In a few days I will look more into it!.

8. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

It's Thursday... and my mac isn't here yet:( The guys told me the shipment is arriving today but apparently I'm not receiving it this evening. When it arrives it has to be cleared from customs and now if not tomorrow then i guess Monday or later... haven't I waited enough already!

9. quicksilverpdx macrumors member

Bro, I feel your pain! I bought a Macbook online on monday, got a tracking number that didnt work, yelled @ fed-ex, fed-ex told me to yell at apple, called apple and THEY didnt know where it was, called back and complained more, apple issued me a $100 credit twords my purschase and this morning the tracking number went from nothing to ON A FEDEX TRUCK FOR DELIVERY! If my wife misses the door ILLL BE :mad:

10. tommyr macrumors newbie

I'm new here as of today but CONGRATS! You'll LOVE Macs! Man no more virus worries! It just works! Let us know all about it when it comes!

Happy holidays to all!

Tom

11. omeletpants macrumors regular

There are some great things about Mac but there is the dark side no one talks about.

-Mac programs look like they were written in crayon by a 7 year old. Nothing professional looking about Mac software. The mail program is a prime example. Basic functionality and that's it.

-iPhotos should be renamed iPig. Maybe the worst program I have ever used. One day you will have 1000 photos in your liabrary. Next morning 400 will be gone or grayed-out never to be seen again. And don't try to scroll through your pictures as you will learn the joy of the endlessly spinning beach ball.

-Forget about WYSIWYG. Photos on screen look nothing like what's printed out. Expect to spend a lot of time syncing fonts on-screen to what is printed.

-Mac support and the Apple support forums are horrible. No one can actually help you but they will ask you a million times about your system configs.

-Whatever you do don't purchase .Mac. No phone support and if you send a file greater than 10mb you are punished for 24 hours from sending anymore emails. If you do, then the clock starts over for another 24 hours.

Good for virus protection but no more user friendly than MS

12. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't heard that dark side really, thanks for the info:)

And damn, I talked to the guys I'm buying the iMac from and they don't know anything! First they tell me it's arriving on Thursday and they'll try to clear it from customs today, and when I've spoke with them they didn't know if the shipment has arrived yet! And they hope and gonna do anything they can to have the iMac on Monday around noon, and for that they're 80% sure it will happen!? This sucks! :(

13. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

14. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I may finally get my hands on it hopefully tomorrow... After so much delay. I was told tomorrow morning my Mac will be delivered at last! Not like I believe these guys 100%, but I hope they're not wrong this time. I'll post my experiences as soon as i get it! :D

15. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

...eh?

1. Mac programs have some of the most pretty GUIs that I've seen, are they really that bad? And they do what they're meant to do - check mail, organize music, organize photos...

2. This hasn't happened to me... ever. And I have 4,000 photos, if the number means anything. (Also, it's called iPhoto, not iPhotos, but that doesn't matter)

3. What program are you using that does the bad text-synching? I know Photoshop works fine, and as far as I know Pages works fine too. You should buy a calibrator though, if you're into photo work and the color is off.

I can agree with the last two.

iPlm, Delicious Library is a neat media organization application, you can use your built-in webcam to scan barcodes with it. Acquisition is like Limewire, but I like it better. Fetch is an FTP client, there's also Transmit.

That's all I can think of right now. :)

16. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

It's here!!! :D I have my iMac right in front of me! I don't know where to begin with?! I should update the OS and everything else right? It's 10.4.7, and in software update I have so many things, but firstly I think I'll install iMac EFI update, Front Row 1.3 and OS 10.4.8! Can anyone give me some recommendations? ;)

P.S. I was wondering why doesn't the weather widget show the weather in Sofia, Bulgaria?!

17. iPlm thread starter macrumors regular

It's been some time now since I've got it and I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with my iMac! iPhoto is slow (i've added lots of photos) but anyway but it's not such a big problem. Everything is going great, the only problem I've had was with win xp! I installed boot camp and everything went well, but after I booted into xp 2-3 times the installation was corrupted. I reinstalled it and don't have problems with it anymore (it's not like I use it a lot now!). Me and OSX are getting along quite well and I can say the iMac is a fast and beautiful machine! The only thing I'm not used to yet are some keyboard shortcuts like CTRL+C/V, CTRL+Z and the likes but it's only a matter of time :) I was wondering about a kb shortcut, in firefox on windows when u press ALT+D I believe, you mark the address bar and can start typing a new URL, but in OSX this doesn't work. What's the mac alternative for alt+d?