Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
My late-2011 Mac Mini died 7 weeks after I bought it for $500. It just suddenly, without any signs or warnings, died as if the power cord was yanked out. The Apple Store told me it was either the power supply or the main board and I'd have to pay as much to fix it as I paid to buy it, therefore I'd be better off buying a new Mini. I don't want that disposable **** that Apple makes these days so I decided to try and fix it myself. Because of the way it just died I really thought it was the power supply so I ordered tools from iFixit and a new power supply from a reputable seller in China. Well, that didn't fix it.

Is there anything else besides a power supply and a main board that could case the problem I have? I don't want to buy a main board from China because they are also 4 to 500 dollars for that model.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
In some rare cases, if you leave a non-powering-up Mac unplugged for at least 12 hours and then plug it back in - it will
start up normally. But these cases, of static build-up?, are rare - still worth a try though.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
It's nothing to do with Apple, this computer that was bought most likely in 2011/2012 is not over 4 years old, no surprise it could break. It's either the PSU or the logic board, so if the PSU fix didn't work, then you got only one choice left.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Probably it is the logic board.

However, the power supply won't start up if there is a short to ground somewhere. I know this from personal experience. There are many ways this can happen, from a loose piece of conductor crossing the right contacts, to a damaged cable or connector allowing two wires to contact.

Check for a piece of loose conducting debris. Remove, inspect, and reconnect every connector and cable. A cable with a really bad kink may have internal damage you cannot see.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
If I were the logic board wouldn't the way it died have been an indication. I mean wouldn't the screen have gone screwy with weird display, lines and or random colors/characters being displayed before it actually completely died.

Thanks guys.
[doublepost=1456791400][/doublepost]Are these Mac Minis ever sold for spare parts?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
If I were the logic board wouldn't the way it died have been an indication. I mean wouldn't the screen have gone screwy with weird display, lines and or random colors/characters being displayed before it actually completely died.

Thanks guys.
[doublepost=1456791400][/doublepost]Are these Mac Minis ever sold for spare parts?
I have seen them sold for parts. There are people that buy them and use the case for other projects. You can get another 2011 model for @ 400 so I would go that route and move my drive over. Sell the rest for what you can get if you have tried everything else already. You might reseat the ram, verify the fan is working. If the fan has died (does happen) it will over heat and not run. A fan is @ $15 if that is the issue. In the end fixable for $400 or less.

tokyodan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks gsmornot. About the fan. If it is not working the Mini would still start up at least, wouldn't it? With my Mini, even the power lamp won't com on.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I had a 2011 Mini I bought from Gazelle a couple years back. When it arrived, it wouldn't boot or power up or anything. Took it to the Apple Store and they replaced the logic board under warranty... $400 or so dollars if I remember right. I didn't return it to gazelle because it was essentially a brand new computer but it sounds like your logic board is kaboom...

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Is there anything else besides a power supply and a main board that could case the problem I have? I don't want to buy a main board from China because they are also 4 to 500 dollars for that model.

Mainbord/logic board needs to be changed ...
You have to decide alone if it is worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.