My 360 just died :(

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 23, 2005.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Once there was two little xbox's sitting in a tree,
    The happiest little 360's you've ever seen.
    Until one night, before going to bed
    I thought one more game, instead I saw red.

Oh be gone wretched light, I curse thee
    Fell on deaf ears did my solemn plee
    And so with a little tear in my eye
    RIP xbox 360, so long & goodbye.

And now my poor 360 all alone it must face
    Console hell, where it resides in sad disgrace
    It remains are being packed away as I rhyme
    To be returned for a refund, what a sad waste of time

I'm glad I didn't sell my working 360
    Or right now I'd be sat, bitter and looking for pity
    The moral of the story, I'm not sure you see
    Now's there's only one little xbox sat under my tree

--

A true story of what just happened; put into verse.
    I think I maybe suffering from the Microsoft curse :D

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Nicely done. Sadly you're among thousands, mine died a week after I got it.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTF, first Microsoft is taking a loss by selling the XBOX 360 and now they are getting hundreds of them back due to hardware issues.

This has got to be a Merry Christmas for Microsoft and they stockholders. :)

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Exactly, I will take an xbox discounted on Microsoft's tab!

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd love to know. My 360 is in a well ventilated area, has clean power supply and has not been disturbed and yet.......:confused:

7. gco212 macrumors 6502

I don't know why, but it's a relatively small number. I saw a figure the other day, I forget where, but an independent firm said it was somewhere between 1-2%. They actually compared it to being similar to the PS2's at launch and iPods of some sort (I think minis).

8. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Id love to know where you saw that. Some of the reports Ive seen estimated as high as 25 - 30% were crappin out. And from all the boards and stuff Ive read, its WAY more than what the ps2's launch had. I remember when the ps2 launched. I wasnt an avid gamer but my roomate was. He bought one at launch and never had a problem (until like 2 years later, disc read error that was easily fixed). All the sites he surfed and all our friends that had ps2's never heard of any problems.

Its a shame too, Id love to see the xbox do well and put some pressure on Sony. Seriously, I dont like M$ but I would love to all three consoles to kick ass. I'd even love to see Sega get back into the console business. The more competition, the better!!!!

Also....I dont remember hearing hardly ANY original xbox issues. Were there many?

9. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

You had to go through all of that to tell us your 360 stopped working? :confused:

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

1-2% is a lot if you think about it.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

thats sad man, take it back to where ever u got it and get a replacement or call microsoft

Bless

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I believe the original XBOX had DVD drive issues, where the discs would get scratched or something along those lines. :)

13. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

The PS2 is a tank, and mine has gone through all-sorts of hardware swaps: hard-drive, two different version online adaptors and installed linux a few times. And its still as good as the day I got it on christmas 2001.

AS FOR THE XBOX. The hardware version 1.0 had many a problem from day one. Enough so it warranted a change of the mother board and the loss of on fan, and integration of the usb card from version 1.0 to version 1.1. Aside from the massive overheating, the hard-drive was said to have fragmentation problems that caused freezes or crashes.
    And as for my personal experience, I've had a good relationship with my first xbox for 2 years and then I modded it successfully for about two months or more until getting banned for xbox live. I didn't observe the marriage theory. I then helplessly tried fixing the problem only to melt my xbox's eeprom. So for the first time in my gaming career I had to re-buy a gaming console. Weak!

For comparison I think the PS2 has had around 16-18 console versions and of course the reduced size version. Where as the Xbox has had only seven, versions 1.0-1.6a and 1.6b. Although 1.6b might not really count, I think its only a software difference.

14. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Unfortunately, there were TONS of first revision PS2's returned. Within the first month, I think we returned like 1 in 5-6. The laser was too close to the PSU and would burn it up after long play time. As far as the 360, that is the vocal minority. I called my buddy who owns the store I used to work at and he's sold 40 since launch and only had 1 go bad. And the thing is, all of his systems went to "regulars" at the store, so he would know if they went bad.

15. wiggy4ever macrumors member

how long did it take u to write that lamenting poem?

16. nimbus macrumors regular

So does the XBOX SUXXORZ? I don't wanna waste $600 IF THE MACHINE BREAKS.

Guess I'll wait for a REAL next-gen system. The PS3 is looking mighty good now...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

Well thats good to hear. Im definitely getting one, but I'llwait for a hardware revision or 2 and a pricedrop!!! ;)

18. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I guarentee you that there will be defective PS3s and Revolutions...it would be silly to think that every PS3 and/or Revolution shipped will be absolutely perfect with no flaws

19. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

the drive would just stop working period. i had an xbox since day one and a 360 since day one.

20. nimbus macrumors regular

Well, I could always wait for actual good games on Rev and PS3 and use PS3 as BD-Player. BTW, you spelled guarantee incorrectly...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

21. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Okay, I'm done with this ... sorry to hear about your 360, hopefully you get everything taken care of. Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight

22. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

About 5 mins. I honestly wrote it while stuffing the 360 in the box last night. :)

and No! calyxman I didn't have to write all that to tell you my 360 had died. I did that in one sentance at the start of my thread. I just though I might spread a little culture and entertainment on this forum... Geessss some people are so :(

Meant to be a time of goodwill and you guys spend most of this thread bitchin and bickerin between yourselves.

Well I rang Microsoft support and the little brown coffin will be sent out shortly.

23. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

Geez.

Can they do anything right? :rolleyes:

I hate to hear of your bad fortune. Warranty? Seems like this could be resolved by having them replace it.

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

I did ring Microsoft and they were very helpful, they have arranged for the brown coffin to be sent out to me.

Unfortunetly as it's christmas, the couriers & postal service are now finished until Thursday. They only work Thurs & Fri and are then off till Tuesday... So i'm looking at a two week turnaround.

I also asked about compensation (free game or year of xbox live) as I read alot of you in the states with dead boxes were offered a free game. Unfortunetly they are not doing this in the UK or Ireland :(

Oh well, nevermind.... These things are sent to try us :) a bit like a few of the posters on this forum eh! :p

Happy Christmas (Holidays) to you all..

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nintendo wouldn't let a machine out that isnt fully complete. Microsoft seem to just be rushing this thing out. There was never a problem with initial Nintendo hardware. sure they fault, but there has never been anything remotely like the PS2 and 360.

My original Xbox, which is an early revision is fine and dandy too. it doesn't read CD's but still it works fine.