My 4g ipod has reached 12 hours!!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by quagmire, Jul 24, 2004.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Thats right. Apple finally tells the truth for me though. I did fast foward songs alot but, it still reached 12 hours. It is running on fumes. I say it will die when it needs to spin up the HD again.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Sweet. I'm totally going to get one. I have a 3G that lasts 4-6 hours (usually 4). yessss!

Lee Tom

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Great to hear. GiggidyGiggidyGiggidyGiggidyGiggidyGiggidyGiggidy

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It is just 12 mintues away from 13 hours. :D :D Man those fumes are lasting for a long time!!!

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...ah yes, these are the reports I want to hear...great news....and as my 5GB pod is virtually full now it sounds more and more like a good time to upgrade....oh yeah!

6. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

It is official. My ipod lasted for 12 hours and 55 minutes before dying.

7. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yeah, mine lasted for about 13 hours, with minimal menu switching. I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that the 20gb may be able to lasst up to 14 hours, and the 40gb will last 12.
    Also, cnet gave the 20gb a 9.0 rating. I don't think they've given any other mp3 player above an 8.7.

8. Nspace macrumors regular

When you first get it, do you just use it till it dies and then do a full charge?
    Or do you just start charging it as soon as you get it?

Mine is on the way and I wanna maximize my battery life to the fullest.

Great to hear that the advertised play time is true :D

9. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Well, in the manual apple said to chrage it first and then put songs on it. So when I got it I did that. I charged it(via ac adapter which I would reccomend) then put songs on it. Then I calibrated the battery. Finally the battery died today.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So both of you got this battery life WITH song shuffling? :eek: I didn't think this was the case.....it is an Apple product, after all. I thought maybe it would last that long with NO song shuffling, no shutting it off, and with the volume at the bottom setting, but I guess I was wrong and Apple has finally told the truth. I know me, and I know I'd shuffle with my iPod, so the 12 hour WITH shuffling is important to me.

I think I'm going to cream my pants!!! :D

11. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

good to hear! *credit card pokes another inch out of wallet*

12. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

My new iPod also reached the 12 hour mark! The new iPod's rock,I like it so much more than the 3G I had!

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think I see a lot of postings here for people selling their 3G's. Also I can see a shortage on the 4G's looming now.

14. Macdantheman07 macrumors member

This is awesome news that the ipod battery will actually LAST LONG ENOUGH FOR A WHOLE DAY OF LISTENING. My mini usually gets anywhere from 6-10 hours. How is the click wheel on the 4g? does it get loose and wobbly after a while?

15. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

That's great news. Do you think that they'll implement the same idea into the minis? It probably won't happen until next year, but is there any chance they just might do a quick battery update?

JOD8FY

16. Island Roots macrumors regular

That's kind of hard to determine seeing as most people started receiving their 4th generation iPods just a few days ago.

17. BeanTownBrawler macrumors member

Hmm... I didnt charge before I put on my songs, I put em on and listened for a bit. Will that make a difference? BTW what is calibrating the battery? Never did that and have been using it for a while.

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Nice stuff...I get about 6 hours out of my 5GB iPod. Hell, I've never heard of anyone reaching the 10 hour mark for the first three generations of iPods. Still, we have some catching up to do on battery life before we start making picture and, "eventually," video pods. (Thinks outloud: The new Apple vPod... nah.)

CNet.com never gives the iPod anything higher than a 9 or lower than an 8. Whoever rates the iPods at CNet keeps complaining about no audio-in, even though you can add onto it.

19. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Does the wheel button light up on the new click-wheel? As in, are the text/symbols backlit?

This is probably the only thing holding me back from buying a new iPod. Kinda liked the 3G's red glowing buttons (it's just the placement of them that killed me).

20. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

No. Unfortunately the click wheel has no backlight.

21. crachoar macrumors 6502a

:(

If you had to choose between a 20GB G3 iPod with pretty lights for $150 or a new Click-wheel 40GB (same price), which would you pick?

My brain says "new 40GB you fool!"

The goblin in my head says, "Oooooh, pretty lights! GO FOR THE LIGHTS!"

...stupid goblin...

Heh, thanks for the info.

Edit: Oh yeah, do the iPods play .ogg yet? Or can they be forced to do so?

22. King Cobra macrumors 603