my $571

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 8, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

$311

that's what bush's $87,000,000,000 request nets out to across the US population.

in reality, it's higher, 'cuz not everyone pays taxes. add this, of course, to the $73,000,000,000 already spent in iraq, and i'm "out" $571.

what am i paying for?

1. cheap gasoline
    2. halliburton's no-bid contracts

i don't want either.

----

i used 280 million as the US population. anyone know how many taxpayers there are?

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: my $571

As has been stated many places this is more than the entire budget of the Department of Education for the year. I think I'd rather double that departments budget and see if we can really have no child left behind. I looks like it will be those children who will have to pay the debts brought on by this war.

3. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Why couldn't they have invested that 87 Billion in developing hydrogen based fuel cells? They could have them out in mass production in 5 years with THAT kind of funding. Then, we wouldn't be dependent on any middle east country, thus we can get out of there, and all the extremists won't need to go jihad on us for being on their soil, and terrorism stops. On top of that the environment will be so much cleaner, which is the best part of it. Of course, Bush being an oilman, and the fact that this makes too much sense for ANY politician, makes it impossible.

--Waluigi

4. chadfromdallas macrumors member

Who cares about Hydrogen based fuel cells? not most of us. Also, a lot of people don't care too much about the environment. I wouldn't want that much going to these things. There are a lot more things that would be better for that money to be spent on. ;)

5. Waluigi macrumors 6502

No way what you said is true, there is just no way. I just don't understand how people can think like that? Please tell me you are pulling my chain.

--Waluigi

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The reason most people don't care is that most people are lemmings.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: my $571

Sure, that seems to be the trend, doesn't it?

(admit it, you're a fellow dieselhead and haven't look at the price of gas in weeks; you may have shot a glance last month when you last filled up, right?)

Using CIA data for employed Americans in the workforce, it's a little over 133.6 million.

You were trying to get off easy with that $571 figure.

It's actually more like $1199. Great, he's truly selling it! It's even got the price point!

[ad voice]***GET YOUR WAR ON, that's right, for just

-$1199.99-
    NO MONEY DOWN

you can have your very own hegemonic war in Iraq!

(valid thru 11/04, no refunds, non-transferrable, additional wars may require additional funds buckle up and remember to vote Bush or your children will die in terror attacks)[/ad voice]

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Who is this really? You have got to be pulling our collective leg!

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'll take that as a yes that you're not serious and are just trying to pull one over on the rest of us.

Edit: now you've removed your post, but I've still got the original "grinning smiley" in my quote above. Count me as one who won't take your posts seriously.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

To answer your questions, respectively, I don't and I do. Hydrogen is a long way off and the technology will naturally mature given time, money and a fair chance in the market. So I drive a clean, efficient turbodiesel that gets 50mpg today.

I care about the environment and my wallet, hence the TDI. It helps both and I'm not increasing the nation's dependence on foreign oil.

I like to think I've cancelled out the negative ramifications of about 2 of the idiots who bought Escalades, Excursions or H2s for vanity and have funded terrorists because of it.

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: my $571

but -- my diesel is still in the bodyshop and i've been buying (shock) gasoline for the rental.

though prices are going up, i was referring to that other thread about the true price of gasoline, sans subsidies.

thanks for figuring that out.

12. chadfromdallas macrumors member

No, I didn't. The mods deleted it. :rolleyes:

13. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Taxes

I dissagree. Since we don't yet have a flat tax system, it is pointless to split this evenly. If we were to be fair, and tax by dollar earned, not by person.

For example, the top 0.5% of the population (in terms of income) should pay 8.3% of this tax burden. (This is based on 2001 data from the Census bureau)

This would mean that this percentage of population should pay for approx. $7.22 Billion of this package. This means that the average person in this top 0.5% should pay $6,636.95 each for this package.

This is using 221,591,000 as the total population. I believe this is everybody 16 years and older, so it includes homeless, jobless and such as well. It does not include younger than 16 year old people. It is 2001 data. Top 0.5% is everybody that earns $250,000.00 or more.

How much do you want to bet, the burden of this package will not fall evenly among all dollars (as opposed to people)?

http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=18218&sequence=0#t3

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

So much for my parents $400 child tax credit.
    What sucks even more is that I don't qualify the tax credit since I missed some arbitrary cut off date by 5 months. Only my sister qualifies:( Whats the deal I'm 16 shouldn't I still count?
    Why can't it just be number of dependents for the child tax credit. Then we only pay $319 Instead of $719. The tax cuts were put in just be taken away:mad:

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Unless you're rich, in line for a healthy inheritance or own huge amounts of stock.