My 5th replacement of 2013 Air. Still got some problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jeffery0103, Jun 26, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi guys. I have exchanged 5 units already. And still having problems with my new air.
    QC is really really bad. I paid so much money for that Coz its the top model of 13" air i7 8gb ram 512ssd. I expected a 99.99% perfect machine. But after what i've been through, I m just tired of this lottery game. Just wanna get some opinions from you guys if i should take it back again.
    Thz a lot!

1: Nicks at the bottom corner, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

2: Apple logo was bent, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly!

3: dead pixel, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

4: Scratches next to trackpad and next to the hinge, Magic mirror screen, light leakage at the bottom but evenly

5: Everything seems to be fine but light leakage at the bottom. Specially left bottom

2. macrumors regular

What does "Magic mirror screen" mean? To me it sounds like you're being awfully picky, to be honest, but I didn't see the actual units so who knows. Light bleed seems to be on all 5 of your machines so maybe your standards for that are a little high? :)

3. macrumors 65816

HiDEF

Extremely odd that all 5 replacements have an issue.

4. thread starter macrumors member

You know distorting mirror? when you look at the screen your face look twist.
    the light leakage on previous 4 look good coz its evenly spread.
    But this one its actually more light leak on the left bottom.

----------

yea man. Apple QC used to be real good.
    but now its awful.:(

5. macrumors regular

Nope.

6. thread starter macrumors member

yea man. Apple QC used to be real good.
    but now its awful.:(

----------

Flat screen supposed to be flat rite?
    But the screen looks a bit curved

7. macrumors regular

What kind of tolerance are you expecting?

8. thread starter macrumors member

For a $2000 machine.
    I expect it to be flawless. like the one i have now.
    And also screen with no light leakage!
    But still i got bad light leakage on this one

9. macrumors regular

Sorry, but it sounds to me like you're making this up. I literally just unboxed the unit, and I am incredibly pleased.

10. macrumors regular

I think your expectation of the degree of manufacturing precision in a consumer product may be unrealistic.

11. macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Depending on how big the nicks were on the first one, i probably would of kept that. The "magic mirror screen" :)p) shouldn't be a problem because your not looking on the glass, but on the lcd panel behind it. It sounds to me that you are very picky, but i don't blame you. Just bear in mind that it won't stay perfect forever even if you get one that is spotless. :)

12. thread starter macrumors member

13. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I think the "magic mirror screen" is normal, because there's no glass overlay like in MacBook Pros.

Also, all 5 units have light leakage? You should post a picture so we can see it, but is it possible thats normal as well?

14. thread starter macrumors member

I know i m picky coz i expect a better machine since it cost nearly $2000.
    But the magic mirror thing annoys me when i m working in a bright environment. coz i see myself twisting all the time. I can't see any other brands has this kinda screen problems. and they are a lot cheaper

15. macrumors 601

Buy something else.

16. macrumors regular

5 units !:eek:wow, what do the people at Apple say ? are they in agreement with you that something is a miss? this is mighty odd, I have a 13" air 2012, no issues and it was a refurb.

17. macrumors 68000

xlii

If I were you I would take #5 back, ask for a refund... and buy a DELL.

18. macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

For the price, I would get a rMBP. Plus, you'll have the glass over the screen, eliminating the "magic mirror screen" problem you're having.

19. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This.
    The first issue listed in this thread was "enhanced" because his only issue with his first machine was a "missing corner" which was a knick by the hinge (he said hitch but there is no hitch). The fact was that the knick was so small that he had to take a high res photo and still, the first responders of the post had to really look for what he was on about.

I don't know about this so-called drama of a magic mirror, but I believe it is time for the Apple store to refund his money and he can buy his machine elsewhere. I would put a flag on his account for excessive returns for less than minor issues.

20. macrumors 68000

I have 20/15 vision and I still had to zoom in to see what you were referring to... Not sure I would have even noticed in person.

Are you sure you don't have the Photobooth app running? :D

As for Apple's "QC", the only issue I had was with the original iPad. Every other product I have purchased since then (2011 27" iMac, 15" rMBP, iPad 2, iPad Mini, 2012 27" iMac, and now the 2013 13" MBA) have exceeded my standards.

21. macrumors regular

I wish you had taken pics of this "magic mirror screen". I have never heard of this problem before and am curious about it.

22. macrumors 68000

sonicrobby

WTF?! Thats what you were complaining about?!
    I bought a used rMBP with a huge scratch on the bottom and I couldnt be happier with it (because of the $800 savings, but regardless, you'd have to use your computer upside down in order to really feel like its there)

23. thread starter macrumors member

I only have the recent one so i can only show you the light leaks on the current machine

Attached Files:

24. thread starter macrumors member

I have a 2012 too.
    Running smooth and flawless!

25. macrumors 68000

In the other thread you have a clear HD picture, and here you provide us this grainy example? :rolleyes: