Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joycee84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008

I thought that the problem originated from the headphone socket because my headphones are new and whenever I try to plug the headphone jack ALL THE WAY IN, only the other ear piece emits the sound. But when I tried to plug the jack just HALF-WAY, the sound comes from both pieces. I've tried doing this several times and it keeps on doing that. What should I do to make the socket work properly again? If I open up the device, would it erase everything that is in the ipod? Please help me. Thank you.

s.hoz

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Custer
Well I have a 30GB 5G, and mine has been doing that for about a couple of months now. The SAME thing. It's the jack. I looked it up, and it's just the iPod going downhill. There's many websites that you can send it in and they replace it for around 50+ bucks for the new jack and their time to change it. But it might just be cheaper to buy a new jack and go to wikihow and figure out how to change it out yourself. It looks simple enough....

Or you can just wait 2 weeks until September to get a new one. :)

joycee84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Well I have a 30GB 5G, and mine has been doing that for about a couple of months now. The SAME thing. It's the jack. I looked it up, and it's just the iPod going downhill. There's many websites that you can send it in and they replace it for around 50+ bucks for the new jack and their time to change it. But it might just be cheaper to buy a new jack and go to wikihow and figure out how to change it out yourself. It looks simple enough....

Or you can just wait 2 weeks until September to get a new one. :)

Thank you!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.