Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Well, I would like to show you my Final Project for my Ap Government class.
We were instructed to film a video on a randomly chosen court case.
My group chose The Boys Scouts of America VS Dale.
This film is around twelve minutes long, but hopefully it will be worth your time.
This was created in 3 weeks using iMovie 06 and a Canon Elura 60 dv cam.
http://ldenman.com/movies/APGOVWS.mov

Enjoy,

Lake.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
The sterotyping of gays in this video is SO inappropriate for a class...it is disgusting. How did you possibly think this is proper for school?

If I was your teacher, I would fail you right away. The way you portray the homosexual man and the sexual innuendo in the video is NOT in ANY way appropriate for a class.

How do you expect this to be taken seriously?

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
yeah. after the opening with the family matters theme, it was all downhill... pretty much the worst "trying to be funny, but is completely offensive" student project i've ever seen. be careful, you can get suspended for stuff like that.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
I presented the information. I expect nothing less than a 100.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
o yeah, having Dale flaboyantly walking in the courtroom in cutoff jean shorts counts as 'presenting the information' :rolleyes:

I would definitely expect more out of an AP project.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Im pausing as i post my thoughts. First quarter, some serious stereotyping done and probably (is diffidently) unacceptable for a class. Half way through I find my self laughing uncontrollably and confused.

for the record im not gay, am not pro-gay, and am not anti-gay.

after finishing the movie, I find myself wondering was the reporter talking to a cell phone as a microphone?

anyways while it good (i use that word loosely) I wouldn't turn that in as an AP Government Final Project, at my school anyways could be completely different for you though.

Best of luck with it. Hope you get a good grade.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
o yeah, having Dale flaboyantly walking in the courtroom in cutoff jean shorts counts as 'presenting the information' :rolleyes:

I would definitely expect more out of an AP project.

Let's not forget that anyone that didn't vote for the Boy Scouts had a rainbow as a backdrop in their picture.

I did find it bizarre that some of this was filmed in what appeared to be a church. I wonder what the church feels about the finished product.

Lastly, I'm curious if given a case regarding any of the Jim Crow laws if the boys humor would have included watermelon and chicken?

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Lastly, I'm curious if given a case regarding any of the Jim Crow laws if the boys humor would have included watermelon and chicken?

I'm wondering the same thing.

Not to mention the fact that you included William Rehnquist as one of the judges when he died well over a year ago. How is that presenting information?

You tried to be funny, but it ended up just being stupid.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
It would have worked better if you consistently used the 180-degree rule. The courtroom scenes especially had this problem.

As for the content...brought back a lot of fond Boy Scouts memories...that bathroom scene was dead on (although in my day, the scene started with the whole troop watching Top Gun). I can't even count how many times we all ended up pitching our little pup tents for each other.

JackArc

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Orange County, CA
Haha, I thought it was pretty good. Maybe not for an AP project, but you'll impress your class-mates, get a few laughs and if your teacher is cool, get a good grade.

GRex

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
I'd like to start by thanking MacFan for demonstrating his vast knowledge of the case.

The Boyscouts' arguement is legit.
Dale's arguement is legit.
The justice decision counts are accurate.
The presented opinions are word for word.

Basically, the case is summarized nicely. Almost every detail is presented thoroughly and accurately and the video is well organized. The only thing missing is a sense of humor from several of the viewers on here. Sure the movie is a little flamboyant and perhaps it is stereotypical, but umm....who cares?
It could have been much more tasteless, and I do not think that it is at all inappropriate for a school setting.

And if given a case did involve Jim Crow Laws, and he would have included watermelon and chicken, it would have been funny. I mean, give me a break people. Some people need to quit their bitching and worry about other stuff for once. Is somebody really going to sit there and say, "Aw hell no! How dare he imply that I like fried chicken and watermellon?!"

Trust me folks, life's much more fun if you just sit back and laugh on occassion.

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Well, I turned this bad boy in today and was very nervous due to all the crap I was getting for it here. Well, I just checked my e-mail and my teacher sent me this:

Subject: Fantastic
I just watched your video. I have not laughed that hard in quite some time. It was absolutely brilliant.

Hugs and kisses,
Hobby

ldenman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
nope, i'm pretty sure it's just more sense of humor stuff you might not be picking up on.

:p

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2006
I greatly enjoyed your video. I am a straight 15 year old American male though... But I loved it. Good Job!

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Well, I turned this bad boy in today and was very nervous due to all the crap I was getting for it here. Well, I just checked my e-mail and my teacher sent me this:

Somehow that doesn't seem like an email a teacher would send a student.

And, for the record, there have been multiple Supreme Court cases between the Boy Scouts and Gay members. For instance, Evans v. Berkeley (2006) is a major case that dealt with this. I apologize for the fact that I failed to check the date on the case, I assumed you were doing your report on a current case rather than an older one.

I fail to see why I am being attacked for pointing our glaring sterotypes that are obviously included to poke fun at homosexuals. Additionaly, it is not demonstrating "vast knowledge of the case" if you depict the gay scout as you do, as he obviously did not go infront of the supreme court acting and looking like that. Your depiction is more fit for "Reno 911" than an AP Report.

GRex

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
I can see how you would confuse the more modern case considering it is a 12 minute video that mentions the name James Dale over and over again.
No, James Dale did not appear in court as portrayed but I doubt that that is an important detail as far as a school project is concerned. There is a performance and entertainment aspect to capture too.

Plus, I'm sure the kid wouldn't have made this unless he was sure that it would fly with his teacher.

Anyway, I still don't understand what is so insanely offensive about this video.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I can see how you would confuse the more modern case considering it is a 12 minute video that mentions the name James Dale over and over again.
No, James Dale did not appear in court as portrayed but I doubt that that is an important detail as far as a school project is concerned. There is a performance and entertainment aspect to capture too.

Plus, I'm sure the kid wouldn't have made this unless he was sure that it would fly with his teacher.

Anyway, I still don't understand what is so insanely offensive about this video.

Yes, but there is a point where the "entertainment aspect" overtakes the educational aspect, and this video flew right over it.

I know if I was a student in that class who was gay, I wouldn't appreciate the sterotypes that it presents, and I would sure hope the teacher has the maturity to realize how offensive the video is.

GRex

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2007
I understand that they may be offended, but I don't know why. Because he talks in higher pitched voice? Because he wears shorts? Yes, the video uses gay as its image of "not morally straight" but by doing that, the video is only expressing the views brought forth by the boyscouts. its not as if any stereotypes that are shown are harmful to a homosexual.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I understand that they may be offended, but I don't know why. Because he talks in higher pitched voice? Because he wears shorts? Yes, the video uses gay as its image of "not morally straight" but by doing that, the video is only expressing the views brought forth by the boyscouts. its not as if any stereotypes that are shown are harmful to a homosexual.

The video was very tasteless and depicted the sterotypes in a degrading manner. You may not have experienced being sterotyped, but trust me, it isn't fun.

The very depiction of someone like that is offensive.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to start by thanking MacFan for demonstrating his vast knowledge of the case.

The Boyscouts' arguement is legit.
Dale's arguement is legit.
The justice decision counts are accurate.
The presented opinions are word for word.

Basically, the case is summarized nicely. Almost every detail is presented thoroughly and accurately and the video is well organized. The only thing missing is a sense of humor from several of the viewers on here. Sure the movie is a little flamboyant and perhaps it is stereotypical, but umm....who cares?
It could have been much more tasteless, and I do not think that it is at all inappropriate for a school setting.

And if given a case did involve Jim Crow Laws, and he would have included watermelon and chicken, it would have been funny. I mean, give me a break people. Some people need to quit their bitching and worry about other stuff for once. Is somebody really going to sit there and say, "Aw hell no! How dare he imply that I like fried chicken and watermellon?!"

Trust me folks, life's much more fun if you just sit back and laugh on occassion.

I'm certainly not politically correct and don't claim to be. I found the humor forced and it wasn't my thing.

That being said, I never stated I found it offensive. I will state if I was in the same shoes, I would have more respect for the church that let me borrow their place of worship for filming.

As for quitting bitching, when you put something out there for public opinion, not everyone will like your work. Guess what, your opinion as well as mine don't mean squat. The teacher is the only audience that matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.