My Apple BT mouse sucks the life out of Battery's.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WeeShoo, Sep 30, 2005.

1. WeeShoo macrumors regular

So I have changed the batteries in it about 3 times so far, the interval inbetween changing them is about 2-3 weeks, is this normal? I use my computer just about everyday, I also put my mac to sleep 90% of the time, I shut down about once a week overnight. Is it me or is something wrong with my mouse?

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Turning the mouse off when your Mac sleeps or is shut down should greatly help battery life. I wish my mouse had an on/off switch. I think I've gotten 2 weeks max out of a pair of AAs.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

When I had my iMac G5 with the wireless keyboard and mouse I only had to charge the batteries in my keyboard and mouse only once. I had my iMac G5 for about 3 months. I used my iMac G5 for gaming everyday so the mouse and keyboard was constantly in use. The mouse/keyboard goes to sleep while the computer is sleeping and automatically shuts off when the computer shuts off.

Maybe you need better batteries? Some are better than others. The cheap rechargeable batteries absolutely suck. I have PowerEx 2300mAh rechargeable batteries. They're the best you can buy according to many reviews.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Every few weeks in the mouse for me too. I do use the Mac quite a bit though.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I heard that its better to use rechargable batteries when it comes to BT mice. I hear that they last longer but I highly doubt it. But I would still get them just for the fact that you don't have to keep going through batteries like they were going out of style.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My rechargeable don't last as long as the original batteries that came with the mouse and keyboard but I'd recommend them all the same.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Really?

I get a good two months use out of a set of batteries. And I use my computer daily.

9. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Yep, I get 2-3months from my MS bluetooth mouse, and it doesn't even have an on/off switch!

10. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I'm with mklos with the good vs bad battery hypothesis. The batteries I got with my BT mouse lasted for ~3 months, then the replacements I've used have lasted only a couple of weeks. Went back to the corded pro mouse for last little while, but had some presentations to do so got the BT mouse running again (2 days and counting for these cells....

11. WeeShoo thread starter macrumors regular

Im using radioshack batteries. I think the problem is solved, your guys' help is greatly appreciated...

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Moo ha ha ha, when you work at Sharper Image you can get the batteries... well, practically for free. I haven't had to swap the batteries for my BT mouse yet, but when I do, I'll see how well it can hold up. :eek:

13. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have that MS Optical wireless notebook mouse that the receiver snaps into the bottom of the mouse. It takes 1 AA battery, and I never turn it off (I leave the receiver in the computer all the time) and it's been running for almost 3 months on the same battery. HA!

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i use enegizer rechargable batteries with my bluetooth mouse, and i get a good month and a half to two months out of them

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also 2-3 months, running the Mac 10 hours a day 7 days a week on average using plain old alkaline cells from Costco. Rechargeable batteries don't last as long because they start with lower voltage output.

The BT mouse does have a shut off -- two in fact. The first is to close the slider on the bottom, the second is to shut down or sleep the Mac.

16. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

The batteries that came with my Apple BT mouse were lithium, which
    last much, much longer than alkaline. Another plus is that lithium
    batteries seem to weigh half as much, which reduces the weight-gain
    of going from an Apple standard mouse to BT. I have been looking for
    lithium batteries locally, but they aren't easy to find. Last time I priced
    them a few years ago, they were $5.00 for a 4-pack. Maybe cheaper now?
    Not bad for 6 months of use!

17. wako macrumors 65816

Radio Shack 15 minute rechargeable batteries + BT Mouse and Keyboard = Heaven

I just simply go make something to eat, come back, and boom! Im back on :)

18. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

19. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i used to work there...what a horrible job, sell those warranties! i now work for apple, life is complete.

i get about 6-8 weeks out of my rechargeable batteries.