Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSpud

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
Minnesota
I have the Apple wireless keyboard/mouse and don't really have a problem with the single mouse button. However, the scroll function is sorely missed from my generic usb mouse I had prior.

Anyway, I was thinking that apple should implement a scroll function on their mice. It doesn't even have to be two buttons.

Heres the concept: Instead of a wheel, have a strip of touch sensative trackpad on the center-top portion of the mouse. To scroll, merely drag your finger like you would using a trackpad on an iBook or Powerbook (using sidetrack or some other utility).

I think that would preserve the artistic appeal and add functionality.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iSpud said:
Consider the human aspect.

A scroller you can use with any part of your finger, however, a pad requires the tip. Where would you place the touchpad so persons with hands of all sizes can use it, without getting RSI?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
iSpud said:
Anyway, I was thinking that apple should implement a scroll function on their mice. It doesn't even have to be two buttons.

Heres the concept: Instead of a wheel, have a strip of touch sensative trackpad on the center-top portion of the mouse. To scroll, merely drag your finger like you would using a trackpad on an iBook or Powerbook (using sidetrack or some other utility).

Sounds cool, i really think they need some kind of scrolling feature. Here's my idea...they should put the trackpad on the side of the mouse, where your thumb rests. Then you can just stroke the side with your thumb to scroll.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.