Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
The suggestions here are not meant as permanent solution. Just a troubleshooting plan to find the real culprit.
But how will the previous step make my AirPlay work again? I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
But how will the previous step make my AirPlay work again? I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful
Well if it's your router then you need to work on that. If it's the aTV you can go and have it replaced. Would not make sense to replace aTV if it's the router and vice versa.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Well if it's your router then you need to work on that. If it's the aTV you can go and have it replaced. Would not make sense to replace aTV if it's the router and vice versa.

But y'all just said that the router is not needed for Airplay so that eliminates it from the equation?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Yep. If the system works with router eliminated but doesn't when it's in place, then it's the router that needs replacement.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Yep. If the system works with router eliminated but doesn't when it's in place, then it's the router that needs replacement.
Sorry if I sound dumb. But then I could just turn off the router and see if airplay works again? But like I said before the VLC app works, so that eliminates it being the router?

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Have you tried a quick reset? Hold the menu and play/pause buttons on the reboot until the LED on the AppleTV starts rapidly flashing then release.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Have you tried a quick reset? Hold the menu and play/pause buttons on the reboot until the LED on the AppleTV starts rapidly flashing then release.
I ****ING LOVE YOU!!!! HOLY **** I WOULD GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST HUG EVER RIGHT NOW IF I COULD. IT WORKS NOW!!!!

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I ****ING LOVE YOU!!!! HOLY **** I WOULD GIVE YOU THE BIGGEST HUG EVER RIGHT NOW IF I COULD. IT WORKS NOW!!!!
Good to hear that you found a solution!
Along the way I've also learned something useful: looks like that emergency reset works differently from soft restart via menu and hard restart via power cut.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

No prob. That will fix all sorts of hiccups (even app related). I have an issue that YouTube auto play won't work and need to reset probably every other week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.