My Back Hurts!!!! @$*#!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I'm not sure this is a good idea--medical advise can be tricky :eek: --but here goes...

I think I threw my back out tonight (like a half hour ago). I slipped on some ice and fell, landing on my butt on my back (about 3/4 of a foot above the small of my back) against the edge of a step.

Right now my back is just sore and tender. Moving too fast kinda hurts and I feel stiff. Problem is, tomorrow its probably going to get much worse.

So any advice??? I took a few advil hoping that the anti-inflammatory effect might take out some more of the long term effects. Anything else I can do?

Ouch!

Taft

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Make sure no heavy lifting or anything.
    Keep your back straight and everything.
    I mean it might be hard but take it slow and easy for a litle while.

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

How about taking a day off and seeing a doctor. If you think it is going to get worse, you might be able to head off more serious issues by going to a doctor now. If nothing else, maybe you will get better pain killers.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Flex-all and Advil or Aspercreme plus a Swedish Masseuse/Masseur. (I don't know how to say that in Swedish though.)

:)

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Guys quit the cliches!!!

Taft, you may take something for your muscles but there wont be too much difference. Lay down and watch tv would be the best:D , I had the same thing about when I was 9 years old, it hurt like hell but it will fix it self.

Do not spend too much time in the computer or seated, in 2 days the pain should be gone mostly.

There is no dramma about it. Just relax for a day.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just watch out where you get that done, we don't want to hear about you getting picked up in a vice raid.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ice can be applied to the spot as well, more direct method of swelling reduction. By laying flat is a must, and not something too soft or too hard.

Good luck - I've had my share of back problems, time is the best remedy.

D

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

uh go see a doctor.....duh.
    not to sound harsh, but you should just go get it checked out, if you have insurance it should cover a chiropractor.

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I had a bad crash on a mountain bike (advice kids, make sure that if you get air, learn how to land properly!)

When I got up, my back just said "NO!" It hurt like hell... I was able to get up, and walk back to my camp (I was with my Boy Scout troop at the time.) Luckily, one of my scoutmasters is a chiropractor, and he helped me out. He said I just had a pulled/stretched muscle, since nothing felt out of alignment. It took a couple of weeks before it stopped being a real biatch when I turned my back, but it gradually got better.

I'd say go see a chiropractor. If no bones or anything are out of line, then it's probably just a muscle that was pulled or bruised...

Hope you get better...

10. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

Right. A doctor is most definitely in the near future (doctor or chiropractor).

I was looking for "minimizing the damage pre-doctor" advice. I don't know that my insurance covers chiropractors though.

BTW, advil really helped. I'm going to try to take it east until I see a doctor though. Unfortunately there is a lot of traveling with a piece of sturdy luggage in my near future.

Taft

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Chiropractor and acupuncture.

Allthough acupuncture seems like it wouldn't work, it works soooo
    well. It has solved many problems doctors couldn't in my family.
    It even helped my dog's fake pregnancy. Yes - we had our dog
    get acupuncture :D.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

On second thought, no comment. :)

[​IMG]

13. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Taft,
    If it were my back, I would want to see an orthopedic surgeon who did a fellowship in spine. i would stay away from the neurosurgeons for lumbar/sacral (tailbone) stuff.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

You and your dancing banana... :D

15. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Yeah, go see a doctor Taft. In the meantime, vitamin C does help repair connective tissue (ligaments/tendons). Taking them won't heal you up immediately, but it should shorten your recovery time a bit. From what you've said, I'm guessing that you probably have a pulled muscle. You should be fine after about a week or so.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I find all of the above advice to be great. Being 6' 8" I've always had to be careful of my back. Shoveling snow does it for me, have some backache now. Advil, taking it slow at 1st r/t stiffness, and most of all time.

Being a nurse myself if the above dosen't help I'd see a doctor, especially if their is numbness in the extremities. Listen to your body!

Please let us know what happens!

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

get some vicoden, one of your friends is bound to have some (hehehe)... it will help greatly with the pain as well as keep the muscles relaxed so they can heal properly. Remember, when you move one muscle in your back, muscles react all over... you don't want to tear it again.

Plus vicoden is fun.

get to a chiropractor asap. you never know what could have been screwed up, and you probably won't until 10 years down the line you have to wear a brace or something :( back problems don't go away, they usually just quietly fester.

:)
    pnw

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Please see a doctor 1st to rule out any damage prior to visiting a chiropractor. Please don't take unprescribed narcotic's on your own. Safety 1st!

19. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

if it makes you feel any better my back hurts as well. :( kidneys hurt so i probably spend some 2 oe 3 days with no sleep now..

:(

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear that, drink plenty of fluids, & rest. Best advice is to call your physician with all your symptoms. Hope you fully recover!