My Backup drive has died

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kerpow, Mar 10, 2006.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

So I've got a 60gb drive in my PB which holds all my music and pix which is backed up in several ways. It usually hovers between 50-55gb used. But my "archive" stuff - mostly downloads of movies that I don't deem good enough to buy on DVD so I BitTorrent them or TV shows like Lost (I'm in the UK and they haven't started airing Series 2 yet) all gets put on a 160gb external USB drive.

Well, sure enough that drive died. Its had 2 years of use and it doesn't really surprise me. I'm upset but is was nothing worth crying over. My friends have copied most of it or I've copied it from friends so if I really want to watch the 7th season of South Park or a Monty Python movie I can get someone to burn
    it onto DVD for me.

My question is, do I really want to go through the same process all over again. Get another big fat disk to store all my miscalleneous stuff.

What other options are there? An external RAID must cost a fortune. I've heard whispers of Google Total Storage. But that would make everything very inaccessible. You'll notice I have a Combo not Super Drive. Getting an external DVD burner doesn't seem the right answer either as I'll probably replace this PB with another this time next year.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Why not just get 2 external drives and do one of the following:
    Use Carbon Copy Cloner(5$ U.S.) and script it to copy one drive to the other, or use CCC to copy your computer as a whole.

or

Manually copy the files to one drive and manually mirror them on the second.