My Backup Strategy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lind0834, Dec 15, 2005.

1. lind0834 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2003
    So in all my years and all my computers, I have yet to suffer a major catastrophe and lose any real important data. Sure I have had some CDs scratch to much, and some hard drives have slowly degraded, but I have never suffered a complete failure so as to lose any real important document or media.

This time around an upgrade, I decided that karma will probably catch up with me and take me down for not making backups as often as I should. My wife will be buying me a Mac Mini for Christmas, after MWSF of course, and my current G4 will become my backup server. Here are my specs:

PowerMac G4 400mhz
    1.0 gigabytes RAM
    Sonnet SATA card.
    2x 300 gig Seagate SATA drives.
    APC 200watt UPS

I'm going to run the Drives as RAID 1 so that even if one of the drives go, I won't loose anything.

I'm going to have my remote iTunes directory on the server to save space, as well as a remote iPhoto directory. I've read enough that it sounds relatively easy. I'll have it do some real light http serving. Only for my family, and they don't like me that much.
    Lastly, I'll have to write a few small apps.. or maybe find a backup app that fits my taste, to back up the important stuff from my Mini, and both of our iBooks.

I just haven't decided what OS to use yet. I thought that maybe a linux would be nice, but decided against that. I have a dusty faster PC if I ever want to do something like that. I already have copies of Panther and Tiger.

I know people say that Tiger is faster than Panther, but even on a G4 almost 6 years old? Should I go out of my way to get Panther or Tiger server? What's your opinion.

Am I missing anything else from my backup strategy? What do you currently do to backup all your precious bits?
  2. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I bought an external Lacie drive specifically for backups. A few months later, my dad gave me his old western digital drive which is also used as a backup (with 2 partitions), but it's at work.

I'd like one of those nice lacie portable drives that don't require a separate power source.

I also use Backup to store emails, iTunes playlist, Bookmarks, Address book contacts, iCal data, stickies, and some other important stuff to my iPod.

3 backups = my ass is covered.

Well, one hopes so.