My Bad Computer Habits

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Nov 7, 2006.

?

My Bad Computer Habits

1. Never empty trash.

9 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Leave tons of documents on the desktop.

41 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Close windows but do not quit apps.

17 vote(s)
    18.9%
  4. Run off notebook battery constantly, even near power outlets.

16 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. STILL using classic apps that I haven't updated.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Use Internet Explorer.

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Leave display on 24 hours a day without energy-saving mode.

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Completely shut down computer every time I leave desk, only to start it up again when I come back.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. I do not have a password set for anything!

14 vote(s)
    15.6%
  10. Leave various drinks and liquids near computer.

59 vote(s)
    65.6%
  1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What do you do out of habit that you probably shouldn't? Mark all that apply!

2. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I voted:
    * Never empty trash.
    * Leave tons of documents on the desktop.
    * Close windows but do not quit apps.
    * I do not have a password set for anything!

I know never emptying the trash or closing apps can slow things down, and leaving tons of documents on my desktop is just messy -- but how bad is not having passwords set for anything?

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow, I sat down ready to tick them all, and couldn't tick any! Go me! ;)

4. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I couldn't vote because there wasn't a "None of the above" option.

It's doesn't matter much if you don't connect the Mac to the Internet, and you trust everyone with physical access to the computer to not do anything wrong (by accident or intentionally). It's not really that bad either, if you connect to the internet and only surf and check e-mail.

It is bad, though, if you like to download and try out applications or play around with different features on your Mac.

5. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Because it is a "check all that apply" style survey, and none of them apply, that constitutes as "none of the above." If the instructions were "choose one of the following" well, then that would be a different story, since you are required to choose one in that situation :D

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I don't have passwords set for anything. I have an admin password for the computer (which doesn't matter because I never log out), and I have a password for the router (because I have to), but that's it. I'm the only one with access to my machine(s), so what's the point?

and yea, I usually have some water or some pop sitting nearby...that'll probably change when/if I get a new keyboard.

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

None of these really apply to me except leaving the drinks near my computer. My real problem is that I spend way too much time on my computer, to the extent that I get distracted from things I really should be doing, like...homework, feeding the cat, or eating.

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

But since I can't submit an unchecked vote, you don't get the correct numbers for things like "percentage of MR people who never empty trash". You'll only get the number for "percentage of MR-people-who-have-at least-one-of-the-following-Bad-Computer-habits who never empty the trash".

9. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I guess I created this is as more of a poll to see, of what bad habits there are, which ones are most popular.

However, I cannot seem to add another poll option now anyway.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

the option "not backing up data" is nowhere to be found... in which i am guilty, and i should be hanged.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

I didn't find anything on the poll I do.

Pretty retentive about the computer.

12. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So common though...

I honestly do not know a single person in real life that properly backs anything up. Not even myself!

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I backup weekly, so there. ;)

But I do still run a bunch of Classic applications. I didn't realize that was a "bad habit," but thanks for including it on the list anyway! (So far the only one to check that box.)

14. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You are not a real life acquaintance of mine however. You are but a phantom lurking in online mystery.

15. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i back up everyday at 3AM... i backup my picture, documents, music (well, i actually dont remember if music is in there) twice, once thru the backup of entire HD, once just by themselves, in case...

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That is exactly how I prefer to think of myself.

Cue spooky music.

17. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I voted for messy desktop and run the notebook off battery - but why is the last one a bad habit? :confused:

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There might be the odd (albeit rarely used) Classic app lurking around, plus the odd cup of coffee or bottle of beer within easy spilling distance... I'm a very bad person. :eek:

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Edit: Nevermind me... I mistook "the last one" as the last option in the poll, not the last option in your sentence".

Because eventually you'll knock the glass or bottle over and spill it into your computer or keyboard (or both in case of a laptop).

I ended up voting for that because I do usually keep a glass of something nearby when I sit at the computer. I try to keep it so far away that if I knock it over it won't spill onto the Mac, though.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm really uber-organised on the work Mac. The home Mac, on the other hand, is a complete mess and needs some TLC.

21. Lau Guest

I thought that too — surely running off battery is using the laptop the way it was intended. I'd hazard a guess that it was less likely to put pressure on the power cord as it sits on my lap.

I voted for running off battery, drinking near my 'book and close windows but don't quit apps.

22. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I would have voted for leaving a lot of docs on the desktop, but I periodically clean it off, and last night was the period. :)

So I just had to go with no passwords and drinks near the comp.

And backing up! Whats that?

23. cait-sith macrumors regular

I run my laptop off the battery. Remember that every time you run the battery down, it is capable of storing less energy on the next charge. I've noticed that my battery barely lasts an hour and a half now, and I've only had it for 18 months.

That's what happens when you run down the battery once a day I suppose. However I hate being tethered into the wall.

24. Lau Guest

Me too, after a couple of years my old PowerBook battery had gone down to 2 hours or so. But then although batteries aren't cheap, it's not that much over 2 years to be able to use the laptop the way I like to, so I think sod it. I hate being tethered to the wall as well, especially when lounging on the sofa. :D

25. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Because the consequences don't bear thinking about... ;)