My battery is strange...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nmamur, Mar 17, 2007.

1. nmamur macrumors member

Sep 8, 2006
    new york
    It charges fine until about 85% and then it slows down to a trickle(estimated time is about 45 mins to completion). Im pretty sure this wasnt an issue earlier. I cant remember the exact event, if any, that made this start.

Any thoughts?
  2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    have you tried removing the cord, waiting a second or two and plugging back in? This has allowed it to charge further for me on occasion with a PowerBook my friend had.

Good luck.
  3. bwanac macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2006
    Dont macbooks have quick charge up to some percentage, and then real slow to the max.
  4. iBenzin macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
    isnt that how most batteries work?
  5. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2006
    when was the last time you calibrated your battery? that should clear things up a bit.
  6. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2006
    read this :

The batteries found in laptops (iBooks, Powerbooks, MacBooks) and iPods charge in two stages.

The first stage is a rapid charge that pummels the battery with constant amperage and steadily increasing voltage. When the battery charges to 70% - 80% capacity, stage two begins, steadily decreasing the current while holding the voltage steady until the battery is fully charged.

Stage two is commonly referred to as the "trickle" or "topping-off" charge and normally takes tree times as long as stage one. One myth is that Lilon battery life will be maximized by frequently draining the battery to 0% and then charging back up to 100%. While grabbing a few minutes of charge time here and there will eventually cause inaccuracies in the battery's reported battery-charge and remaining-life times.

taken from here